Seafood recipes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Seafood recipes

• Smoked Fish with Cream Sauce

For 1 serve

120g smoked fish
      1-teaspoon parsley / or and garlic chives
      a slice of onion chopped and cooked in mico
      salt and pepper
      15g butter
      60 mills of cream

Boil the fish in water drain and boil again then simmer till cooked.
      Put the cream in a small saucepan and boil till it reduces to half (it is amazing it does not burn but watch it)
      Add the butter and the parsley and salt pepper and onion.
      Server the fish on a plate with the cream sauce over the top.
      Garnish with parsley.
      You could put in some cheese if you liked and if you wanted more sauce just use more cream.

Carbs 3

Recipe from Delia: apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1221
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • CHEESY TUNA CASSEROLE

CHEESY TUNA CASSEROLE

340g cans tuna, drained
      450g bag frozen French cut green beans
      85g (about 8 small) fresh mushrooms, chopped
      1 stalk celery, finely chopped
      2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
      2 tablespoons butter
      1/2 cup chicken broth
      3/4 cup heavy cream
      Salt and pepper, to taste
      230g shredded cheddar cheese
      In a medium pot, cook the green beans as directed on the package; drain well. Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms, celery and onion in the butter until very soft and starting to brown a bit. Add the broth; bring to a boil. Let liquid reduce by half, then stir in the cream. Bring to boil and cook until reduced, starting to thicken and turning brownish from the mushrooms. Season to taste. Stir the tuna and mushroom soup into the green beans. Add salt and pepper, if needed. Mix in the cheese; put into a 1 1/2 - 2 quart casserole. Microwave or bake until hot and bubbly.
      Makes 4-6 servings (4 servings - 12 carbs each) (5 servings - 10 carbs each) (6 servings - 8 carbs each)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Fish stew for two

Fish stew for two

Ingredients
      Enough white fish fillet with the skin off eg haddock, cod, for two
      1 large can peeled plum tomatoes, chopped
      1 medium red onion, chopped quite finely
      4 slices of smoked bacon, cut into rough squares
      large handful of fresh basil, ripped
      dollop of creme fraiche

Method
      In a large heavy (lidded) pan, fry the chopped red onion in some butter, until just transparent.

Add the bacon, stir until cooked through.

Pour over the chopped tomatoes. Heat through until just simmering, then stir in about a third of the basil.

Place the whole fish fillets on top of this mixture. Put the lid on.

Walk away.

Go back in 10-12 minutes to see if the fish is cooked, ie when you press with a fork, the flakes separate and the fish is white, not translucent. When the fish is cooked, very gently stir in a tablespoon of creme fraiche and a further third of the basil so as not to break up the fish too much.

Finally, throw the remaining basil on top of the lot.

Take to the table, serve with fresh bread and a fairly robust wine.

• Tuna Tabouli

Originally posted by snez
      Tuna Tabouli

This makes a delicious and simple light lunch that will satisty any palate.

Serving Size Serves 2

Ingredients
      1 cup chopped fresh continental parsely
      1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
      250 g red cherry tomatoes, halved
      4 shallots, chopped
      2 cloves garlic, chopped
      1/4 cup chopped whole almonds
      1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
      1/4 cup sunflower seeds
      1 x 185 g tin, serena tuna in spring water
      light pinch of ground cumin
      juice from 1 lemon
      1 tbsp cold pressed olive oil
      sea salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
      In a bowl combine the parsely, mint, tomatoes, shallots, garlic, almonds and seeds then mix through. Add the tuna, cumin, lemon juice, olive oil and mix through well. Taste for seasoning and enjoy!

Taken from website teresacutter.com

• Coconut Garlic shrimp

Coconut Garlic shrimp

1/2 lb of raw peeled tiger prawns or large shrimp, tail left on.
      1 to 2 tbsp. coconut oil
      2 tbsp chopped green onion.
      crushed garlic to taste (the more the better in my opinion)
      salt and pepper to taste.
      1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice

Place 1 to 2 tbsp. of coconut oil in saute pan, over high heat. Oil should be just starting to smoke.

Add 2 tpsp chopped green onions and 1 tbsp garlic, or more to suit and salt and pepper taste.

Stir until these ingredients are just covered with the oil.

Keeping heat on high at all times, add 1/2 lb of raw tiger prawns or large shrimp, and stir until they just turn pink. Add 2 tbsps lemon or lime juice and stir quickly for about 15 to 30 seconds. Serve with Caesar salad without the croutons.

If you are cooking more than 1/2 lb, repeat until you are finished.

• Tuna or Salmon Muffins

Originally posted by ladybird
      TUNA OR SALMON MUFFINS

Three 6oz cans tuna or salmon , well drained
      3 eggs
      1/4 cup celery chopped fine
      1/4 cup green pepper , chopped fine
      3 tablespoons onion , chopped fine
      salt and pepper to taste .
      6 ounces grated cheese .

Mix all ingredients and spoon into WELL greased muffin tin .

Bake for 30 minutes , oven 350

Makes 12 ( 1 carb each )

I made them and they are good to have in the fridge for a snack .

I added some parsley , as love the stuff plus I am growing it .

lady bird

Tuna or salmon Muffins

• CHAR GRILLED LIME & CHILLI SQUID SALAD

Originally posted by Wizzzid

CHAR GRILLED LIME & CHILLI SQUID SALAD

(QTY is up to you I wont insult your intelligence)

Ingredience::
      Rocket
      parsley (optional I love it)
      raw asparagus spears
      any two types hydro lettuce
      lime
      chilli fresh or dried
      Garlic
      milk(only to soak squid)
      squid tubes
      Cucumber Diced
      olive oil
      fresh dill
      Cracked pepper ( this is on everything of mine)

method::
      best to soak squid in milk over night but whilst preparing will do.

1. smash bash chop whack or slice basil, dill chilli and garlic to make a not quite paste

2. Rip with your hand the rocket and lettuce and through it on your plate (going for art and taste you see)

3. Cut the lime

4. heat the wok or fry pan, slop in a small amount of olive oil now add 3/4 your paste care full not to burn it

5. (if you can char grill on the bbq or Nicely brown the asparaguis spears so they are looking chargrilled but still crispy in your fry pan or wok, take out and arrange on your artistic sald,

6. repeat #4 ..cook squid rings/squares/ for about 30 secconds
      arrange on plate.

7. Sprinkle with chopped cucumber and cracked pepper and squeezea wedge of lime over top

8. enjoy

CHAR GRILLED LIME & CHILLI SQUID SALAD

• Originally posted by Delia

Fish Pie

I worked this out today and tastes great a 6 large serve or 8 medium

650g white fish fillets
      Fish Pie
      1/4cup Corroinder (optional)
      1/2 cup eschalots or onions sauté in a little spray oil
      1 cup broccoli cooked and mashed
      2 cups cauliflower cooked and mashed
      1 cnt (250g) sour cream
      1 teaspoon vegeta stock powder
      Ground black pepper
      1 teaspoon garlic
      Paprika
      4oz grated cheese

Mix the onions with the sour cream add coriander, cauliflower, broccoli, vegeta, and pepper
      I used a large rectangle dish sprayed with oil and placed the mixture in. You could use a pie dish but may be a bit small.
      Sprinkle with cheese and paprika.
      It does not even taste real fishy and I made it the other night and did not put in the Corroinder.

Serves 6
      7.5 net carb
      Calories 273
      Fat 15.5 Protein 80
      Carbs 10 Fibre 2.5

• Originally posted by ladybird

Tuna Bake

Hi every one ,

I just put this together for my tea one night . Good cold with salad the next day .

large tin of tuna , 3 eggs , 1 cup of cheese , lots of parslely .onion, tomato.

place beaten eggs , tuna , cheese , parslely onoin in bowl and mix well. Place in oven dish . Place sliced tomato on top and a little more cheese on top . Bake in oven 30 mins .

Next time I am going to add cream cheese or sour cream .
      Will let you know .

Lady bird

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=518

• Easy Thai Fish Cakes

Originally posted by raybeanberry

Easy Thai Fish Cakes

500g white flesh fish fillets
      2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
      pinch of salt
      1 tablespoon fish sauce
      3 green beans (cut into thin slices)
      1 tablespoon coriander leaves (chopped)
      Oil

1. Cut fish into 2cm cubes and blend in a food processor until it becomes a paste. Add the fish sauce, red curry paste and salt and blend 30 seconds more.

2. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the beans and coriander.

3. Dip your hands in cold water to prevent the mixture sticking, then take a small amount of the fish mixture and make flattish cakes (5cm in diameter, 2cm thick).

4. Shallow fry them in a frypan by heating the oil and frying them on both sides for about 2 minutes each, turning only once. Drain the fish cakes on kitchen paper and serve with cucumber dipping sauce.

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=827

• Originally posted by sambalam

Tasty Tuna

i made this other night after a craving for tuna mornay. no amounts as i don't count at the moment. you can work it out though.

400 + can tuna drained
      cream
      1 tsp curry
      grated cheese
      broccoli
      cauliflower

cut the broccoli and cauli into smal pieces and steam. heat cream, add curry and then grated cheese until you have the consistency you want (not too runny not too thick). add the tuna and more cream if needed. put vegies into a casserole dish and mix through tuna/cream sauce. sprinkle grated cheese over the top and bake until browned. eat.

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1685

• These might make good tuna patties

CRAB CAKES

6 ounces crab meat *
      1 pound pollock, cooked and flaked **
      1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup recommended (see comments below)
      2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped fine
      4 green onions, chopped fine
      2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
      1/2 teaspoon coriander
      1/8 teaspoon cayenne
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
      2 egg whites
      1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, finely ground
      Oil, for frying

In a medium bowl, break up the pollock with your fingers until it's finely shredded. Stir in all remaining ingredients, except crab meat, coconut and oil, until well blended. Gently fold in crab meat, trying not to break it up too much. Divide into 6 equal portions on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Gently shape into patties with your hands. Mixture will be very soft. Put the coconut in a small shallow dish. Carefully set one crab cake in the coconut and gently turn over to coat the other side; place back on wax paper. Repeat to coat all the patties. Chill at least 1 hour. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry patties 4-5 minutes per side, flipping carefully, until golden brown on each side.

Makes 6 servings

* I used the fresh kind that's found in the seafood department, not canned. It comes in a foil pouch and contains no added liquid. If you use canned crab meat, you may need two cans to get a full 6 ounces after draining.

** You should end up with about 8 ounces of cooked fish. I used 2 fillets (12 ounces total) and came a bit short with only a 7 ounce yield. If you can't get pollock, any mild white fish will work.

Per Serving: 292 Calories; 22g Fat; 21g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

As a test, I made this same combination using canned chicken before trying it with real crab meat. The chicken wasn't as soft and moist as the fish and crab so I think the mayonnaise should be reduced to just 1/4 cup. I had a hard time shaping and coating these because they were so soft.

These taste very nice and have a kick of heat from the cayenne. They're very delicate and you must turn them very gently when cooking. Using less mayonnaise may help that problem. When you cook your fish, go easy on the salt or don't salt it at all. There is plenty of salt in the Old Bay. If you can afford to use all crab meat I'm sure these would taste even better. However, I may try an all fish version sometime and save even more money.

users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/crab_cakes.html

• TUNA CASSEROLE III

TUNA CASSEROLE III

2 6 ounce cans tuna, drained
      4 ounce can mushrooms, drained
      16 ounces frozen cauliflower
      3 stalks celery, diced
      8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
      1/2 cup heavy cream
      1/4 cup mayonnaise
      Salt, to taste
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      1/4 teaspoon onion powder
      1/2 teaspoon dry minced onion
      Spicy Seasoning Salt, optional

Boil the cauliflower along with the celery until the cauliflower is tender, but not mushy; drain well and chop roughly. Put the cheese in a greased 2 1/2 quart casserole. Heat the cream and pour over the cheese; stir until cheese melts (you may need to microwave this for 35-60 seconds to aid in melting) and is well blended. Stir in the mayonnaise. Mix in all remaining ingredients. Sprinkle top with Emeril's Essence, if desired. Cover and bake at 350º for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes until bubbly.

Makes 6 servings

Per Serving: 374 Calories; 28g Fat; 25g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This is good comfort food; filling and satisfying.

users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/tuna_casserole_3.html

• TUNA "RICE" CASSEROLE

TUNA "RICE" CASSEROLE

20 ounces fresh cauliflower, shredded, 1 small head
      2 tablespoons butter
      1 stalk celery, diced
      8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
      1/2 cup heavy cream
      1/4 cup mayonnaise
      1/2-1 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon pepper
      1/4 teaspoon onion powder
      1/2 teaspoon dry minced onion
      2 6-ounce cans tuna, drained

Put cauliflower in a 2 1/2 quart casserole with a lid. Add 3 tablespoons of water, cover and microwave on HIGH 8-10 minutes until just tender, stirring every couple minutes. Do not overcook. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter.

Meanwhile, sauté the celery in remaining tablespoon of butter until very tender. In medium microwaveable bowl, mix 6 ounces of the cheese and cream. Microwave a 2 minutes to melt the cheese; stir until well blended. Whisk in mayonnaise, seasonings and dry onion.

Stir celery, tuna and mushrooms into cauliflower; add cheese sauce and mix well. Can be covered and chilled at this point and baked later. Cover and bake at 350º for 20 minutes. Uncover, top with remaining cheese and bake another 10-15 minutes until bubbly. Add an extra 5-10 minutes to first baking time if chilled.

Makes 6-8 servings

Per 1/6 Recipe: 410 Calories; 32g Fat; 25g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
      Per 1/8 Recipe: 308 Calories; 24g Fat; 19g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

My mom used to make creamed tuna and serve it over toast, but I preferred it over rice. This tastes just like what mom used to make. Lots of pepper and a touch of onion powder and dry minced onion are what make it taste like the real thing.

VARIATION (Not suitable for induction):
      Prepare as directed above, but mix all of the cheese into the cheese sauce. Make a bread crumb topping using 2 slices lightly toasted Oroweat Carb Counting bread that's been processed in a food processor. Combine crumbs with 2 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle over casserole and bake at 350º for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Per 1/6 Recipe: 464 Calories; 36g Fat; 27g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs
      Per 1/8 Recipe: 348 Calories; 27g Fat; 20g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

Here's how the bread crumbs looked on top of the casserole:

users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/tuna_rice_casserole.html

TUNA "RICE" CASSEROLE VARIATION

24 ounces fresh cauliflower, shredded, 1 small-medium head
      2 tablespoons butter
      2 stalks celery, diced
      3 6-ounce cans tuna, drained
      8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
      3/4 cup heavy cream
      1/2 cup mayonnaise
      1/2 teaspoon onion powder
      1/2-1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon pepper
      1 teaspoon dry minced onion

Put cauliflower in a 3-4 quart casserole with a lid. Add 3 tablespoons of water, cover and microwave on HIGH 8-10 minutes until just tender, stirring every couple minutes. Do not overcook. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter.

Meanwhile, sauté the celery in remaining tablespoon of butter until very tender. In medium microwaveable bowl, mix the cheese and cream. Microwave a 2 minutes on HIGH to melt the cheese; stir until well blended and creamy. Whisk in mayonnaise, seasonings and dry onion.

Stir celery, tuna and mushrooms into cauliflower; add cheese sauce and mix well. Can be covered and chilled at this point and baked later. Bake, uncovered, at 350º for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly. Add an extra 5-10 minutes to baking time if chilled.

Makes 8 servings

Per Serving: 410 Calories; 32g Fat; 24g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This is pretty much the same recipe as the original Tuna "Rice" Casserole, but I've put all of the cheese in the sauce, added an extra can of tuna, a little more cauliflower and increased the amount of sauce a bit. I tried to mix this in a 2 1/2 quart casserole but it was too full so I switched to a larger one.

users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/tuna_rice_casserole_var.html

• TUNA PATTIES WITH SWEET CHILLI

Theese look yummy!!!

TUNA PATTIES WITH SWEET CHILLI

425g tin tuna
      1/2 cauliflower, cooked until soft
      2 leeks (or substitute with one large red onion)
      1 stock cube
      2 small eggs
      Sweet Chilli Sauce to serve

Place all ingredients into food processor and process until smooth.

Place patty sized mounds of mixture on a greased baking tray. Place tray in oven set at 160degrees and leave until patties are firm. (this stops them coming apart in the fry pan)

Remove a few patties at a time and lightly pan fry. Place back in oven to keep warm.

Serve with Sweet Chilli Sauce or Lemon Tartare Sauce. Thanks to my old neighbour for this great recipe.

essentialbaby.com.au/CFForum/v….cfm?Forum=65&Topic=96770

• Salmon Patties

Just came accross this whilst fixing links:

Cazza wrote:

Tried making salmon patties using the base of Moonies recipe.

210g tin of salmon
      half chopped onion
      1 egg
      LCA
      parmesan cheese
      lemon,basil and thyme
      salt, pepper
      garlic
      cereal mix
      squirt of lemon

Just chucked it all in a bowl till I got the right consistency then pan fried in butter. Not bad :p

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?t=500&page=2