Vegetable Recipes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• CHILLI MUSHROOM CAPS

CHILLI MUSHROOM CAPS

The important thing about this recipe is not to turn the mushrooms during cooking.
      As the butter melts down the stalk of the mushroom, the cap catches the butter along
      with all the mushroom juices.

12 large Mushrooms
      Chilli Butter :
      60g Butter, softened
      2 tsp Hot Chilli Sauce
      1 tsp Ground Sweet Paprika
      1/2 tsp Garam Marsala

Wipe the mushroom caps with damp absorbant paper and slice off the stalks almost level
      with the outer edge. Set aside on a tray so they can be easily transported to the bbq.
      To make chilli butter : Combine the softened butter with remaining ingredients and mix
      thoroughly combined. Place a portion of butter on the top of each mushroom stalk.
      Arrange the mushrooms cap side down on a hot bbq flat plate. Cook for 5-7 minutes
      or until the botter melts and serve immediately. The chilli mushroom caps are delicious
      as a side dish with steaks and as a starter with bread.

Note : Garam Marsala is a mixture of ground spices including peppercorns,
      cardamom and cloves
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Mock Fried Rice

I know the author of this one as it is mine and one of my faves!

Mock Fried Rice

1 sm Head of Cauliflower finely grated to size of rice
      4 bacon rashers chopped
      2-3 eggs
      a little chopped spring onions
      Salt and pepper
      Tamari or soy to taste
      chicken stock cube crushed
      Butter for frying

Fry bacon untill browned, add cauliflower, stock cube and spring
      onions cook untill cauliflower has browned. Move to outer edges of pan
      and scramble eggs quickly in centre then mix together, season to taste
      with remaining ingredients and serve.

This is very yummy, I usually just add stuff as I go.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Gratin of silverbeet stems

Gratin of silverbeet stems

(Reprinted from The Cook's Companion)

INGREDIENTS

12 fat stems from a bunch of silverbeet
      1 cup cream or creme fraiche
      100g cheese (a mixture of blue and gruyere-style cheeses is
      excellent)
      freshly grated nutmeg
      salt
      freshly ground black pepper
      2 teaspoons softened butter
      ½ cup fresh white breadcrumbs (Remember to substitute with a low carb alternative)

METHOD

• Preheat oven to 180C. Cut stems into 8cm lengths that are 1cm
      wide. Blanch stems for 10 minutes in a large saucepan of boiling, lightly
      salted water. Drain, then quickly run under cold water to stop cooking.
      • Drain again on kitchen paper or wrap in a clean cloth. Bring
      cream to the boil, then drop in cheese and lower heat. Stir gently until
      cheese has melted, then season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Drop in stems
      and stir to mix well. Grease a shallow gratin dish with the softened butter
      and spoon in stems and sauce. Smooth top and scatter breadcrumbs over.
      • Bake until bubbling and golden - about 20-25 minutes,
      depending on the size and depth of the dish.

Serves: 4

• Stir Fried Cabbage.

Stir Fried Cabbage

1/2 small cabbage
      with outer leaves removed
      50g bacon cut into small pieces
      2 tsp olive oil
      2 or 3 tsp white mustard seeds

Cut cabbage into thin slices, remove hard core.
      Fry mustard seeds gently in the oil until they start popping.
      Stir in bacon, and cook two minutes. Stir in cabbage leaves.
      Allow cabbage to cook for 5 or 6 minutes over medium heat,
      tossing from time to time.

• Faux Twice Baked Potato

Originally posted by DOINGIT
      Faux Twice Baked Potato

1-head of Cauliflower (Approx 2lb)
      ½ c. sour cream
      4-oz - cream cheese
      ¼ c. minced green onions
      ½ stick of soft butter
      2 fresh mushrooms diced
      salt and pepper to taste
      ¼ cup of Romano cheese
      6-slices of cooked and crumbled bacon 2-Tbs. of bacon grease

Topping
      Shredded Cheddar
      2-slices of cooked and crumbled bacon on top

Boil cauliflower approx. 20 to 30 minutes until tender, drain well. Fry bacon until crisp and then crumble it. Save the grease. In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, cream cheese, ½ of the butter, salt, pepper, romano cheese, ½ c. sour cream, ¼ c. minced green onions, 2 fresh mushrooms diced, bacon grease and the bacon bits. Mash it all together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Put it in a buttered 8 X 8 casserole dish. Cover with the cheddar cheese. Top it off with the bacon pieces. And cut up small pieces of remaining butter and scatter it on top lightly.

Place in a preheated 350° oven and bake until all the cheese has melted. Approximately 20 minutes. Garnish with chives if desired.

Servings 9

Calories/serving 258
      Fat 23.1 Grams
      Carbs 5.1 Grams
      Fiber 2.1 Grams
      Net Carbs 3.0 Grams
      Protein 9.0 Grams

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/s…ghlight=Faux+Baked+Potato

• Eggplant Fries

Originally posted by sambalam

Eggplant Fries

this was yummy. serves two big helpings

1 eggplant
      1.4 cup oil
      gluten flour or parmesan cheese

peel eggplant and cut into thick slices. put on plate and sprinkle salt to draw out water for about 20 mins. pat dry with paper towel and slice into chips. put into plastic bag with either gluten flour or parmesan cheese and shake until eggplant is covered.
      NOTE: if using gluten flour, be careful to put eggplant straight into pan of oil as the gluten flour becomes sticky very quickly. your chips will stick together.

put eggplant chips in frying pan with the oil and fry over medium heat. i found they cooked prety quickly.

Drain and serve. My boyfriend loved these and he's a potato guy.

Totals with gluten flour: P 9.5 F 93 C 8 Cals 890
      Totals with parmesan" P 8 F 98 C 6 Cals 915

Eggplant Fries

• Spinach and Ricotta Gnocchi

Originally posted by Jess

Spinach and Ricotta Gnocchi

250g Frozen Spinach Thawed and well drained
      250g Ricotta Cheese
      50g Fresh parmesan grated
      2 eggs well beaten
      Salt & pepper
      Pinch nutmeg

Throughly mix together (I used a stick mixer a bit to get out the cheese lumps it helps it cling together when cooking)
      Roll into balls and then roll in finely ground (dry?) parmesan

Boil a large saucepan of salted water and cook 3-4 at a time untill they rise to the surface.
      Drain and serve with melted butter and cheese

Whole Mix
      P 88
      F 55.8
      C 9.9
      Cals 915

3 Serves
      P 30
      F 18.6
      C 3.3
      Cals 305

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=797

• Cabbage with bacon and carraway seeds

Originally posted by trucie

Cabbage with bacon and carraway seeds

finely slice savoy cabbage and blanch in hot water, drain and rinse with cold water to retain colour and crispness. Normal cabbage works but doesn't taste as good, although it is alot cheaper also!

in a frying pan, slice up bacon, brown then add carraway seeds, keep frying it in the bacon fat, add cabbage, mix it all up...

serve with any grilled protein.

Cabbage with bacon and carraway seeds

• Spicy Aubergine Feta Rolls

Originally posted by trucie

Spicy Aubergine Feta Rolls

thinly slice aubergine, lay on a flat area and sprinkly salt, wait about 15mins so it starts to sweat, dry off salt and excess water with paper towel.

finely chop fresh chilli and fresh mint.

crumbled feta, add chilli and mint, season with pepper, add lemon juice to taste (not too much - mind the carbs).

Grill aubergine slices on a grilled pan or BBQ to get the nice effect, i use an oil spray to minimise fat. Once cooked and cool, add the feta mixture and roll it up.

Great party starter...

Spicy Aubergine Feta Rolls

• Eggplant Stacks

Originally posted by Rossana

Eggplant Stacks

Cut eggplants in rounds of 1.5cm thickness.
      Sprinkle with salt and lay to rest. Rinse off the juices and pat dry.
      Lay on baking sheets and brush with olive oil.
      Bake for about 20 mins at around 180C or until soft and slightly browned.
      Use these as the foundation for your veggie, meat or fish stacks.

I make up a thick tomato sauce with garlic.
      I normally have some fresh pesto on hand (it keeps in the freezer if you don't add the cheese, so make up a batch and store it in small containers).
      Olive tapenade works well too

In entree plates or shallow bowls:

Place a tbspn or two of sauce
      Add a large disc of eggplant.
      Smear some sauce.
      Top with a leaf of rocket or two
      At this point you can add the protein bit like: homemade fish cakes, savoury burgers with mince or chicken
      Add a bit of pesto
      Add another disc of eggplant and smear some more sauce
      Add a slice of fetta, goats or other zingy tasting cheese and another rocket leaf
      Add another disc of eggplant (they should be getting progressively smaller) and smear some more sauce
      Top with a slow roasted roma tomato (or sundried if you prefer)
      Maybe a black olive or two, a bit more pesto, maybe some crumbled fetta around the edges
      For a good effect, I stab a BBQ skewer through the centre of the whole stack - keeps it standing and looks good.

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=786

• Stuffed Mushrooms

Originally posted by ladybird

Stuffed Mushrooms

One big mushroom ( bigger than my hand )

Mix together cream cheese , chives , parsly , cherry tomatos .

Place on top of mushroom , then grated cheese , then bacon cut up small .
      Place in oven cook until mushroom is cooked and topping has melted together ,

Looks like small pizza and taste great . The cream cheese is a must .
      lady bird .

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=638

• Gormet Low Carb - Marinated Eggplant - You'll love it!!!

Originally posted by Jess

Marinated Eggplant

Hi all. I haven't been low carbing for a while but I thought you'd love this recipe. Yeah it's eggplant - but it tastes great! When I think eggplant I think Yuck but this tastes amazing!
      Ideas-
      Fantastic for anti pasto
      Greek style salad
      In omlettes with cheese
      Grilled on a chicken breast
      Wrapped up with Procuitto (sp?)
      (great in toasted foccacias too for high carbers)

Ingredients
      Eggplant
      Olive oil
      Balsamic vinegar
      Fresh crushed garlic

Peel eggplant randomly - (not all over for effect)
      cut eggplant into very thin slices
      Layer slices in bowl and sprinkle each layer with a little salt (to get out all the bitterness)
      When done, place another bowl or saucepan filled with water and place on top to help press out bitter juices.
      Leave to stand for 2 hours and drain juices
      Wipe off excess salt and fry in a little olive oil pressing the slices with the back of a fork or egg slice to 'sizzle' (they will cook up better) until browned and soft.
      When cooked, sprinkle layers in serving dish with parsley, crushed garlic, pepper and balsamic vinegar.
      Balsamic vinegar is a little high in carbs but you don't really need too much. see if you can find a brand that's reasonably low. As an alternative you could try brown vinegar with spenda or something like that to make it sweet.
      I hope you likey!

Low Carb Marinated Eggplant

• Vegetable Crisps

Originally posted by BloatedBelly

Vegetable Crisps

Ingredients:
      Oil for deep frying
      4 small zucchinis, sliced VERY thinly lengthways
      4 baby yellow squash, sliced VERY thinly
      Salt and pepper to season

Method:
      Heat oil to very hot in a large saucepan. Drop vegetables into oil a few at a time. Once browned and crisp remove from oil and allow to drain on paper towel. Season and serve. Use in place of potato crisps.

Vegetable Crisps

• ITALIAN SQUASH PIE

ITALIAN SQUASH PIE

4 tablespoons butter
      1 1/2 pounds yellow summer squash, sliced thin, 7 medium *
      Small onion, sliced or chopped, 2.5 ounces
      1 clove garlic, minced
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon pepper
      1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
      1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
      8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
      2 eggs
      1/4 cup heavy cream
      2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

Sauté the squash, onion and garlic in the butter in a large skillet until tender and slightly browned. Sprinkle in the seasonings while cooking the squash. Put the squash mixture in a greased 10-inch quiche pan; mix in the cheese and parsley. Whisk the eggs and cream in a small bowl; whisk in the mustard. Pour egg mixture over the squash; mix in gently. Bake at 375º for 25 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before cutting.

Makes 6-8 servings

Per 1/6 Recipe: 297 Calories; 25g Fat; 13g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
      Per 1/8 Recipe: 223 Calories; 19g Fat; 10g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

* Or zucchini

genaw.com/lowcarb/italian_squash_pie.html

• JUST LIKE STUFFED BAKED POTATOES

JUST LIKE STUFFED BAKED POTATOES

16 ounce package frozen cauliflower *
      8 ounce cream cheese, softened
      8 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
      4 green onions, chopped
      1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      3 pieces bacon, chopped and fried until crisp
      Paprika, optional

Cook the cauliflower until soft, about 8-10 minutes; drain very well and break up florets a bit with a spoon (it's also very good if the cauliflower is still a little chunky). Put in a greased 8 x 8" baking pan or 2-quart casserole. Mix in the cream cheese, cheddar, green onion, salt, pepper and bacon. Dust top with paprika, if desired. Bake at 350º for 20-40 minutes, until browned and bubbly. Or, microwave, loosely covered, for about 40 minutes on 50% power, turning dish after 20 minutes.

Makes 6 servings
      Can be frozen

Per Serving: 324 Calories; 27g Fat; 15g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

* You can use up to 2 pounds of cauliflower and there will still be plenty of sauce and cheese to go around. With 2 pounds of cauliflower the count would be:

Per 1/8 recipe: 256 Calories; 21g Fat; 12g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
      Per 1/12 recipe: 171 Calories; 14g Fat; 8g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This is very yummy and an all-time favorite. It goes very well with my Grandma's Rouladen and is very nice with grilled or broiled salmon.

genaw.com/lowcarb/just_like_stuffed_baked_potatoes.html

• BROCCOLI-AND-CAULIFLOWER GRATIN

BROCCOLI-AND-CAULIFLOWER GRATIN

1 pound fresh broccoli florets *
      1 pound fresh cauliflower florets *
      Salt and pepper, to taste
      1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
      4 ounces cheddar cheese, 1 cup
      3 ounces parmesan cheese, about 1/2 cup
      4 green onions, chopped
      2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
      1/4 teaspoon cayenne
      3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, 1 ounce

Steam vegetables until crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes; drain well and season with salt and pepper. Put vegetables in greased shallow baking pan, 9x13". In a medium bowl, mix mayonnaise and next 5 ingredients. Spoon mixture over veggies and spread as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese over the top. Bake at 350º 20-25 minutes until topping is golden brown and bubbly.

* Or one 16-ounce bag each frozen broccoli and cauliflower florets.

Makes 10-12 servings

Per 1/10 Recipe: 357 Calories; 33g Fat; 10g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
      Per 1/12 Recipe: 297 Calories; 28g Fat; 8g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This recipe was given to me by my sister. It makes enough to serve for a holiday crowd, but the recipe could be easily cut in half and baked in an 8x8" pan. I made half a batch using 8 ounces each frozen broccoli and cauliflower. I microwaved the vegetables until just barely cooked, maybe 4 minutes on HIGH. I liked this quite well. The Dijon mustard gives the topping a bit of zip. Be sure to let the topping get nicely browned for the best flavor.

genaw.com/lowcarb/broccoli_cauliflower_gratin.html

• LOADED CAULIFLOWER

"LOADED" CAULIFLOWER

1 cup cooked cauliflower
      1 teaspoon butter
      Salt and pepper, to taste
      1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
      1 tablespoon ranch dressing or sour cream
      1 strip bacon, crumbled
      1 teaspoon chives

Butter and season the cauliflower. Place in an individual-serving baking dish, then top with cheese. Microwave or broil until cheese is melted. Top with ranch dressing, bacon and chives.

Makes 1 serving

Per Serving: 290 Calories; 25g Fat; 12g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

I wasn't trying to pretend that this was a baked potato, but I had the idea of topping cauliflower with all of the things that go on a baked potato. It was quite good.

"LOADED" CAULIFLOWER - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie ().

• CREAMED SPINACH

CREAMED SPINACH

1/4 cup butter
      2 tablespoons onion, minced
      20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
      1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
      1/8 teaspoon pepper
      1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
      Dash cayenne
      6 ounces cream cheese, softened
      1/2 cup heavy cream

Sauté onion in butter until lightly browned. Squeeze spinach very well to remove liquid. Mix all ingredients except cream in a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole. Pour cream over top and lightly mix in. Heat, uncovered, in microwave on 50% power 10-15 minutes until hot.

Makes 4-6 servings

Per 1/4 Recipe: 390 Calories; 38g Fat; 8g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
      Per 1/6 Recipe: 260 Calories; 25g Fat; 5g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

This is supposed to taste like the creamed spinach at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, but since I've never been there, I can't say if it's like the real thing. It is pretty good, but I think it would be nicer baked in the oven until lightly browned on top.

genaw.com/lowcarb/creamed_spinach.html