Beef and Veal recipes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Beef and Veal recipes

• Veal with Bacon and Mushroom Sauce

Found one of Rossanas on my hard drive:

Veal with Bacon and Mushroom Sauce

Hi Moonstruck... the recipe kind of changes depending on what I have on hand....

But the veal is cook separately to the sauce and only combined at the last minute.

Sauce start with a knob of butter and a tbspn of olive oil.
      Sometimes I start with a little garlic
      Other times I may use half a medium onion chopped finely
      Occassionally I may use a little of both.
      Saute for a minute or two until clear-ish

Add chopped bacon trimmed of fat and rind (about half to 1 rasher per person). Saute for three to five minutes. Add some freshly ground pepper

Turn up the heat a little
      Add sliced button mushrooms (a punnet of about 250g should do the trick) and 1 tbspn of water or stock - stir quickly. If contents are sticking or burning turn down heat a litte and add a further 1 tbsp of liquid. The mushrooms may throw off some liquid but continue cooking until most of this has evaporated.

When mushrooms are cooked - turn down the heat to a minimum and add sour cream, pouring cream, or a bit of both. Combine well.

Taste the sauce and add salt if needed or some freshly grated parmesan cheese (not the packaged pre grated stuff). Put aside.

Cook the veal - it should only take 1-2 minutes each side.
      Proper veal scallopine are really hard to find.... I think I will have to give our butcher a lesson in how to cut it. However the veal should be thin and dried with paper towels. Place some olive oil in a pan and wait until it is quite hot.

Quickly flash fry the veal on both sides and place in a warm dish until all pieces are done. Depending on how you like to serve dinner you can place the meat directly onto the plates and spoon sauce over the meat...
      Alternatively you could also put all the meat back into the pan you cooked it in and pour the warm sauce over it but don't cook again together as the veal will stew and become tough.

Serve with cauliflower or broccoli mash, zucchini hash browns or just plain steamed veggies with a bit of butter.

You can also do this with beef minute steak.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Heres an oldie jotted down in one of my writing pads:

Meatballs

900g Minced Beef
      2 Eggs
      1 Tbl Onion flakes
      2 tsp garlic powder
      1/8 tsp pepper
      1/2 tsp salt
      2 tsp Italian Seasoning
      1/4 cup half 'n half (water and cream)
      1/4 cup water
      1/4 cup parmesean cheese

Combine, shape and brown

Sauce

250g Tomatoe Sauce (Passata)
      1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
      1/2 tsp Italian seasong

Add to meatballs and simmer for atleast 45 minutes
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Baked Cabbage & veal

Originally posted by Sweetgirl

Baked Cabbage and Veal

Cabbage
      Veal & ham
      Onion
      Garlic
      Cream
      Butter
      Grated cheese
      Salt & pepper

Fry onion, garlic, ham and veal together. Cook Cabbage, until tender. Add butter, cream and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Put meat mixture in Pyrex dish and top with cabbage, sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and put in the oven for 10 mins.

I don't know the amounts - it depends how many you are feeding. Roughly, I use 500g veal, 150g ham, 1/2 a sml onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 cup cream, 1 tlbsp of butter, 1/2 cup cheese. Enough cabbage to top the meat.

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1409

• Teriyaki Meatballs

Originally posted by Jess

Teriyaki Meatballs

500g Lean Beef Minced finely
      30ml Soy Sauce (Masterfoods Classic Soy Sauce)
      1/2 Clove Garlic minced
      1/2 Tsp Ginger
      2 sml Spring onions finely chopped (10g)
      2 Splenda Tablets ground

Mix all but Mince In bowl then add mince and mix well (hands work best)
      Roll into 20 large or 40 small (for finger food) Balls
      Heat 1 tblsp oil in large fry pan
      Add balls and cook for about 10 mins untill brown and cooked through.

*Add some chilli if you like it hot
      *Sprinke some sesame seed too if you like
      *Great for finger food at parties

Whole Mix
      P 101
      F 56
      C 3.3
      Cals 902

40 Balls Each Ball
      P 2.52
      F 1.4
      C .08
      Cals 22

Warning- Don't feed to high carbers- there won't be any left!

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=796

• Mushroom Bolognaise

Originally posted by sanuk

Mushroom Bolognaise

The tomato base I use is Annalisa passato di pomodoro (tomato puree) - it has 4.6g carbs per 100g and 23 cals. It makes a great base for a homemade sauce if you add other vegies like onions or celery.

The bolognaise recipe:
      1 tbsp olive oil
      1 onion
      1 clove garlic, crushed
      500g - 700g trim mince
      loads of mushrooms (the recipe says 125g but I normally use about 500g)
      2 tblspns tomato paste (I use Leggos)
      425g can chopped tomatoes
      1 cup red wine (don't stress, the cooking will evaporate the alcohol!)
      salt & pepper to taste
      I also add some chilli flakes for extra zing
      1 tbspn chopped parsely

Heat oil in saucepan.
      Saute oinion and garlic until onion is tender.
      Add mince and brown well, breaking up with a spoon as it cooks.
      Stir in mushrooms and tomato paste. Cook for 2 minutes.
      Gradually blend in all remaining ingredients except parsely.
      Simmer uncovered for 40 - 45mins, adding a little water if mixture becomes too thick.
      Stir in parsley and serve.

It makes heaps and the flavour improves the longer you leave it. Freezes well too and is easily reheated in the microwave.

I haven't done a PFC because these days I dont' accurately measure the ingredients (and also I eat a LOT in one sitting) but for an example, the last time I made it, one-quarter to one-third serve worked out to: 433 cals, 10.7g CHO, 37.4g protein, 22.5g fat, 4.7g fibre.
      But that makes a whole meal. If you serve it over vegies, add cheese or sour cream, or have a salad with it, you will eat a lot less than one quarter of it (I'm just a pig when I'm training!
      :p )

Mushroom Bolognaise

• LORRAINE'S BEEF STROGANOFF

LORRAINE'S BEEF STROGANOFF

1 pound braising steak, cut in strips, chuck or round steak will do
      2-4 tablespoons butter
      1 medium onion, chopped, 3 1/2 ounces
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
      1 beef bouillon cube
      1 cup boiling water
      1/2 teaspoon marjoram
      2 tablespoons sour cream
      Pinch fresh parsley, chopped, optional

In a large skillet, brown the meat in butter. Add the onion; cook a couple minutes until they start to brown. Add garlic and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Cook about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, dissolve the bouillon in the boiling water; stir into the meat. Bring to boil, then transfer to a large covered casserole. Bake at 325º, covered, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Stir and check every 30 minutes to see if meat is tender. Stir in marjoram and sour cream. Do not boil. Stir in parsley, if using. I served this over Faux Rice.

Makes 4 servings

Per Serving: 392 Calories; 33g Fat; 18g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

I got this recipe from my good friend, Lorraine, who lives in England. It's very good even without the thickener that she used. Be careful not to overcook the meat. Mine would have been fine after one hour. After an hour and a half, the meat fell apart, but it was still tasty. You could cut back on the carbs a bit by using a small onion and only 4 ounces of mushrooms. This would lower the carbs to 4 grams per serving.

genaw.com/lowcarb/beef_stroganoff.html

• JOSIE'S SHEPHERD'S PIE

This looks like an interesting recipe to play with:

JOSIE'S SHEPHERD'S PIE

4-6 pieces bacon, chopped
      2 pounds ground beef
      Small onion, chopped, 2.5 ounces
      Salt and pepper
      1/4 teaspoon toasted onion powder
      1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
      1 egg, beaten
      8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
      16 ounce package frozen green beans
      16 ounce package frozen cauliflower
      3 tablespoons butter, divided
      1/4 cup sour cream
      1 tablespoon chives, minced

In large skillet, fry bacon until crisp; drain well and set aside. In same skillet, brown the hamburger and onion, seasoning with salt and pepper; drain fat. In 7.5x11.75" baking dish, mix hamburger, bacon, onion and garlic powders. Check seasoning for salt and adjust if needed, then stir in the beaten egg and 1/2 the cheese. Spread over bottom of baking dish.

Meanwhile, in medium pot, cook green beans according to package directions; drain well then return to pot and stir in 1 tablespoon butter. Season to taste with salt. Spread beans over meat layer. In same pot, cook cauliflower 10-12 minutes until very tender; drain well. Put cauliflower, 2 tablespoons butter and sour cream in food processor. Puree until smooth. Add chives and pulse to blend. Adjust seasoning, if necessary, then spread evenly over green beans. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top. Bake at 350º for 35 minutes, until hot and bubbly.

Makes 8 very generous servings

Per Serving: 433 Calories; 31g Fat; 30g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

I tweaked this recipe from JosieL a bit to use two pounds of hamburger instead of 1 1/2 pounds, added extra cheese and used the whole bag of frozen green beans. Be sure to season each layer of the casserole well because it will be hard to add seasoning later. The original recipe was made in a 9x9" pan, but I didn't have one that size and 8x8" would be too small. I would not try using a 9x13"pan because the mashed "potatoes" and cheese would be spread too thinly. This is very homey, comfort food.

genaw.com/lowcarb/shepherds_pie.html

• This looks really yum, make sure you check out the picture!

SPINACH LASAGNA

10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
      1 pound ground beef
      2 tablespoons onion, chopped
      1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
      1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
      8 ounces cream cheese
      1 egg
      1/8 teaspoon pepper
      4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
      2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (I used the kind in a can)

Brown the hamburger with the onion; drain off fat. Mix in the garlic powder and spaghetti sauce; season to taste and heat until bubbly. Meanwhile, soften the cream cheese in a medium-size microwaveable bowl for about 40-60 seconds. Stir until creamy; beat in egg and pepper with a spoon until well mixed. Blend in the spinach. Spread half the meat mixture evenly in the bottom of a greased, 8 x 8" glass baking pan. Spread spinach mixture over the meat; top with the mozzarella, then the rest of the meat (it may not completely cover the top, but that's ok). Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and vent one corner. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes; then reduce to MEDIUM and cook for another 7-10 minutes until hot and bubbly. Let stand 3 minutes before serving.

Makes 6-9 servings
      Can be frozen

Per 1/6 Recipe: 368 Calories; 28g Fat; 23g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
      Per 1/9 Recipe: 246 Calories; 19g Fat; 15g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This recipe was adapted from one I found many years ago in a microwave cookbook. It was pretty easy to convert to low carb since it had no pasta in it.

SPINACH LASAGNA - VARIATION
      1 pound ground beef
      1 pound bulk Italian sausage
      2 tablespoons onion
      1 teaspoon minced dried garlic
      Salt and pepper
      1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
      1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
      8 ounce cream cheese, softened
      1 egg
      1/8 teaspoon pepper
      10 ounce frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
      8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
      2 ounces parmesan cheese, 1/2-2/3 cup

Brown the hamburger, sausage and onion along with the minced garlic; drain the fat and stir in the spaghetti sauce and garlic powder. In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, egg and pepper. Stir in spinach. In greased 7 1/2 x 12" baking dish, layer half of the meat sauce, or enough to cover the bottom of the pan fairly well. Spread spinach mixture over meat layer; top with mozzarella then the rest of the meat sauce as evenly as possible. Sprinkle with parmesan. Bake at 350º about 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Makes 8-12 servings

Per 1/8 Recipe: 568 Calories; 45g Fat; 31g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
      Per 1/10 Recipe: 454 Calories; 36g Fat; 25g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
      Per 1/12 Recipe: 379 Calories; 30g Fat; 21g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This version has a bit more sauce and cheese and would be better suited to the later stages of a low carb diet, such as Maintenance.

genaw.com/lowcarb/spinach_lasagna.html

• ITALIAN CASSEROLE

ITALIAN CASSEROLE

1 pound ground beef
      1/2 pound Italian sausage
      1 clove garlic, minced
      2 tablespoons onion, chopped
      1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
      8 ounce can tomato sauce
      Salt, to taste
      1/8 teaspoon pepper
      1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning, or to taste
      4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded, 1 cup

Topping:
      1/2 cup sour cream
      1/2 cup mayonnaise
      1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
      1/2 teaspoon pepper
      1/2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese *
      4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded, 1 cup

Brown the meats along with the garlic, onions and mushrooms; season with a little salt and pepper. Drain fat; stir in remaining ingredients. Adjust seasoning if necessary and put in a greased 7x11" baking dish.

Combine topping ingredients and spoon over surface of meat mixture. Spread evenly with a spatula. Bake at 350º about 40 minutes until topping is nicely browned.

Makes 8 servings

* The canned kind of parmesan works just as well and costs less.

Per Serving: 463 Calories; 38g Fat; 24g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This is a combination of Quiche Italiano and the topping from Chicken and Spinach Parmesan. It came out delicious. Your family will enjoy this, even without pasta. It's not like a quiche so you'll need to spoon this out of the pan or cut it somewhat into squares and scoop it out with a big spatula. The parmesan topping goes perfect with this dish. This is a keeper.

genaw.com/lowcarb/italian_casserole.html

• Beef Stroganof

DOINGIT wrote:

As taught to me years ago by a Polish Jewish lady who lived many years in China.
      1kg any cut of beef for stewing. 1-2 Onions, garlic, 2 cup beef stock, salt/pepper, 2 tsp dried mixed herbs. 15 dried chinese mushrooms. (you can use fresh but this is tastier if fresh 1/4 kg) Cut mushrooms into slices with scissors, heat 1/2 beef stock and pop in the mushrooms bring to boil and turn off. Then Oil or butter for saute onion/garlic set aside then brown off meat add the onion/garlic and about 2 tbs of either scotch or sherry and the herbs/mushrooms/stock and remaining stock. Simmer do not use high heat with lid on for a couple of hours. Take off lid turn up and reduce the liquid. Just beore serving add 1/2 cup sour cream. Serve with what ever vegs you like.

Thread available here: Beef Stroganof

• Re: Beef and Veal recipes

• Re: LORRAINE'S BEEF STROGANOFF

Sherrie wrote:

LORRAINE'S BEEF STROGANOFF

1 pound braising steak, cut in strips, chuck or round steak will do
      2-4 tablespoons butter
      1 medium onion, chopped, 3 1/2 ounces
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
      1 beef bouillon cube
      1 cup boiling water
      1/2 teaspoon marjoram
      2 tablespoons sour cream
      Pinch fresh parsley, chopped, optional

In a large skillet, brown the meat in butter. Add the onion; cook a couple minutes until they start to brown. Add garlic and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Cook about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, dissolve the bouillon in the boiling water; stir into the meat. Bring to boil, then transfer to a large covered casserole. Bake at 325º, covered, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Stir and check every 30 minutes to see if meat is tender. Stir in marjoram and sour cream. Do not boil. Stir in parsley, if using. I served this over Faux Rice.

Makes 4 servings

Per Serving: 392 Calories; 33g Fat; 18g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

I got this recipe from my good friend, Lorraine, who lives in England. It's very good even without the thickener that she used. Be careful not to overcook the meat. Mine would have been fine after one hour. After an hour and a half, the meat fell apart, but it was still tasty. You could cut back on the carbs a bit by using a small onion and only 4 ounces of mushrooms. This would lower the carbs to 4 grams per serving.

genaw.com/lowcarb/beef_stroganoff.html

this strogonoff was to die for, best i've ever had, i added a tea spoon of tomato paste and a dash of white wine. soo good, thanks
    • Shepherds Pie or Lasagne?

Okay when I make bolgnaise sauce I make up a big batch, pretty much consists of tomatoes, celery, garlic, a little carrot, chilli, fresh basil, fresh thyme and fresh oregano. Then I divide it all up and freeze it.

Anyway today I grabbed some mince and a batch of sauce from the freezer for dinner tonight with plans to make zuchetti:p bolegnaise only to realise later that I didn't have enough zucchini. So with all the shepherds pie talk here I decided to cook up a head of cauli up and make a shepherds pie with it. I cooked the bolegnaise like usual then mashed up the cauli with some butter, salt and cream cheese. Assembled it all like a typical shepherds pie then grated over cheddar cheese and then sprinkled over parmesan.

OMG this not only was good it tasted like lasagne, we all loved it!!!

This is a really tasty mince sauce that goes well with a cheesy cauliflower mash. I haven’t given any specific amounts; they depend on which stage of weight loss you are currently in, so adjust to your specific circumstances. The Worcester sauce and vegemite/marmite add depth to this dish but you can leave them out if not available.

Super Easy Savoury Mince

You will need:
      Mince
      Onion
      Garlic
      Beef stock cube dissolved in boiling water (enough water to simmer the mince in)
      Xanthan gum (a pinch should be enough but you might need to experiment with your quantities)
      Sour cream
      Worcester sauce (optional but you will only need a splash)
      Vegemite/Marmite (optional, you will need about as much as you’d put on toast)

Directions:
      Fry onion and garlic in oil until soft and translucent. Add mince and brown all over. Add beef stock, Worcester sauce and a vegemite/marmite and simmer until mince is nice and soft. If the mixture becomes too dry, add boiling water. Then add xanthan gum, about a pinch (I used mine in a parmesan shaker); the sauce will start to thicken up. At the end, add the sour cream and voilà! Add more salt if desired.

Serve with cheesy cauliflower mash or steamed veggies.

I just made something similiar Floyd but added celery, green beans, and loads of mushrooms and a splash of passata. I don't need the gum and won't bother with the sour cream but the vegemite adds a lovely taste :p
      Start date AGAIN August 24 2010

Cheers
      Cazza xx

The post was edited 1 time, last by Cazza ().