Yummy Low Carb Desserts

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Yummy Low Carb Desserts

Originally posted by sammiejam
      Traditional Grand Marnier Soufflé

Ingredients:
      8 egg yolks
      3/4 cup Splenda
      1/2 cup Grand Marnier
      dash of sea salt
      10 egg whites
      Butter and Splenda (to coat baking dish)
      Beat egg yolks and Splenda in a pan held over (not in) a pan of boiling water until they form a wide ribbon when a wooden spoon is inserted and lifted. Remove from the heat and stir in the Grand Marnier and sea salt.

Beat the egg whites until stiff and gently fold into the egg yolk mixture. Coat the inside of an 8-inch soufflé dish or straight-sided baking dish with butter and Splenda. Transfer the egg mixture to the baking dish and bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until firm. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.

Makes 6 Servings. 4.8 carbs per serving.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Yummy Low Carb Desserts

Post desert recipes here!

Same thing with credit, PM me if you see a recipe that was posted by you and I will credit you ASAP.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• NEVER FAIL HOT RASPBERRY SOUFFLE

Found this on my hard drive, no idea where it comes from. I wonder if this would work with splenda? Never made a souffle before...

NEVER FAIL HOT RASPBERRY SOUFFLE.

500g fresh (or 300g frozen) raspberries (see note below for easy variation)
      1-cup caster sugar
      6 free-range egg whites
      Pinch of salt
      100 g caster sugar,
      extra butter for greasing
      2 tbsp icing sugar
      Fresh raspberries to serve.
      Puree the raspberries and pass through a sieve. (You should have about 200ml). Pour into a small saucepan, add the sugar, and bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Turn the heat down and simmer very gently for about 10 minutes, until it forms a jam-like consistency. Set aside to cool. -
      Preheat the oven to 200C.
      Beat the egg whites with the salt, gradually adding the extra sugar, until they're shiny, and stiff peaks form. With the beaters still running, spoon in a few tablespoons of raspberry mixture. Stop beating and fold through 2-3 more tablespoons of raspberry - it should just colour the egg whites and give a delicate raspberry flavour. Taste the meringue and add more if you think the flavour is too subtle.
      Grease six individual souffle moulds (10cm x 7cm deep) with butter and dust with icing sugar, tipping out the excess. Carefully spoon the souffle mixture into the moulds. Bake for about 8 minutes, then turn the heat down to 180C and bake for a further 3-5 minutes, or until the souffles have risen well above the rim of the moulds and are lightly browned on top.
      Serve immediately with fresh raspberries and a glass of dessert wine, such as botrytis riesling.

Lyn's Note: Making the raspberry puree was a bit of a pain, soI have made this with both passionfruit and mango puree (tinned) but thickened both with cornflour after reducing over low heat. Add a bit of liqueur to give it a some oomph)

• Pavlova Roll

Pavlova Roll

6 Egg Whites
      1/2 cup granular sweetener
      1/2 tsp cream of tartar

BEat together untill very firm peaks form. Place baking paper or foil into a baking tray.
      Spread mixture evenly over paper into a rectangular shape (approx 23x35cm)

Bake at 180c for 10min or until just beggining to brown.

Once cool, peel off paper, cover with whipped cream, strawberries and roll up.

To make normal pav, spread into circular shape then bake at 100c for 1 hour. Turn off oven, open door and leave untill cool.

• I don't know whose recipe this is! But this is what they wrote:

HUMBLE CRUMBLE!!
      I have been experimenting with rhubarb lately due to the fact that Mr Cranky Tom came to visit.... and caused quite a fuss with cravings this time!! But apart from that Mr Cranky Tom was reasonably kind this time, so Mr Lover Boy didn't even notice!!

Rhubarb Crumble

Rhubarb - 1 bunch filled two small ramekins
      Water
      Splenda

Crumble Topping
      1/3 - 1/2 cup of PoH Porridge Mix
      1/3 cup almond meal
      1 tspn baking powder
      1-2 tbspn splenda
      25 g butter - room temp

Optional chopped walnuts
      Strawberries or Raspberries

Stew rhubarb in pan with a little water. Add splenda to taste.

Mix PoH porridge mix, almond meal baking powder, splenda and walnuts (if desired) together in a bowl (ie minus butter). Judge by the quantity if this is going to be too much for the amount of rhubarb you have cooked - if so take the excess and store in an air tight container in the fridge.

Add the butter to the mix and rub in.
      Divide the rhubarb amongst individual ramekins or in a larger baking dish.
      You can add some chopped strawberries at this stage too
      Sprinkle crumble mixture on top.
      Bake for 15-20 minutes at 200 deg C
      Serve with Cream
      "None of us really changes over time; we only become more fully what we are."
    • Strawberries and Hazlenut Meringue

Strawberries and Hazlenut Meringue

4 Egg whites
      1 pinch Cream of tartar
      1 cup Splenda
      1/2 tsp Vanilla
      1/2 tsp White Vinegar
      3/4 cup Ground Hazlenuts
      250g Strawberries
      300ml Cream

Line bottom of 2 20cm (8 inch) sandwich cake tins, brush bottom and side with melted butter and coat with plain flour.

Place egg in mixing bowl, add tartar and whisk quickly untill stiff. Add splenda slowly whisking at high speed. Whisk in vanilla and vinegar.

Gently fold in hazlenut. Divide between tins.

Bake at 180c for 40-45mins.

Hull and clean strawberries. Reserve 12 good ones, slice others (sounds like more then 250g to me), Whip cream.

Sandwich meringue together on plate with half cream and the sliced strawberries. Add whole strawberries and other half of cream on top, chill for 2-3 hours.

• Another one.. don't know whose it is.

Crushed Raspberry Semifreddo

Found this in the Sunday paper- replaced caster sugar with Splenda (I hope that's ok). I haven't attempted it as I am far from a wiz in the kitchen , but some of you may like to give it a go....

Ingredients:
      3 eggs
      2 egg yolks, extra
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
      1 cup splenda
      500g frozen raspberries
      1 3/4 cups cream

Method:
      Place the eggs, extra yolks, vanilla and splenda in a heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk the mixture for 4-5 minutes or until heated through and frothy. Remove from the heat and beat with an electric mixer until pale and thick. lightly crush or break up 300g of the raspberries and gently fold through the egg mixture. Set aside.

Beat the cream in the bowl with an electric mixer until very soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg mixture into the cream until just combined. Line the base of an 8 x 26cm loaf tin and pour over the semifreddo mixture. Cover with foil and freeze for 4-6 hours or until firm. To serve, remove from the tin and cut into thick slices. serves 6-8.

Cook's tip: when making semifreddo, a lot of whisking is required, and a simple electric hand-beater is great for this. Use it to beat the eggs and sugar over the simmering water instead of whisking by hand, which takes twice the time.

(Donna Hay Favourites)
    • Pavlova that never fails

Pavlova that never fails

3 Egg Whites
      3/4 cup splenda
      1 tsp Malt vinegar
      2 tsp Cornflour
      1/2 tsp Vanilla

Preheat ovent to 120 C

Beat eggs white into very stiff peaks. Slowly add splenda. Gently fold on cornflour then add vinegar and vanilla.

Spoon out onto foiled tray and form. Sprinkly quickly with one heaped desert spoon of splenda and bake for 1.5 hours

Turn off heat and open oven door, cool.

Very gently peel off foil and decorate

• I think was from a post by Rossana.

Diet Jelly and whipped cream

This is what I call my desperation dessert!

Just make up your favourite diet jelly according to the instructions (most of us should be able to get that right!! )
      Get some whipping cream and add a sachet or two of Splenda and beat until stiff.
      Serve in small bowls with alternating scoops of jelly and cream.

Note some flavours are not enhanced by adding cream - so try them out!
    • Almost Rice Pudding

(4 servings / 3.7 g carbs per serving)

3 eggs
      3/4 cup. cream
      1 tub cottage cheese (Brownes)
      1/4 cup. Splenda
      1 tsp. vanilla
      ground cinnamon or nutmeg
      Combine all ingredients, beat well. Pour into 4 custard cups.
      Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg. Place in a baking pan of water.
      Bake at 350 for 35 - 45 minutes.
      You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
      You grow old because you stop laughing.
    • EGG CUSTARD

(Serves 2)

Ingredients:
      1 egg whole
      1 egg yolk
      1/2 cup thickened cream mixed with 1/2 cup water
      3 tbsp sweetener
      1 tsp vanilla extract
      Pinch salt
      Ground nutmeg to taste

Method:
      Lightly beat the egg and yolk. Add cream/water, sweetener, vanilla and salt. Pour into two ungreased ramekins. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Place the ramekins in a pan with around 2.5cm of hot water. Bake in a moderate oven (180-220C) for 35 minutes or until set.
      You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
      You grow old because you stop laughing.

• Originally posted by Rania

Custard

Was watching Naked Chef tonight and he made a custard that was really easily adapted to low carb. So thought I would share

300ml thickened cream
      3 eggs
      3 desert spoons of splenda
      1 desert spoon of vanilla essence

Thats it !

Put the cream on to heat till just before boil, in a seperate bowl, add other ingredients and whisk, add cream to bowl, then return all to heat and whisk while it thickens. realy yummy.

Don't have the PFC atm since I am too busy eating it.

• Originally posted by raybeanberry

Blancmange

225ml milk
      90g sugar (approx. 6 tablespoons splenda)
      100g ground almonds
      2 teaspoons powdered gelatine
      30ml cold water
      225ml double cream
      30ml Maraschino liqueur, or a few drops of almond essence

1. Bring the milk and half the splenda to the boil in a saucepan. Stir in the ground almonds and them to stand and infuse for about 30 minutes. Strain.

2. Mix the gelatine and cold water together in a small bowl and leave for 5 minutes, then microwave until the gelatine has melted (it should take about 10-20 seconds). Mix this gelatine liquid through the strained almond milk and leave to cool, stirring occasionally until the mixture has slightly thickened.

3. Whip the double cream and remaining splenda until soft peaks form. Work in the liqueur (or almond essence) and fold this through the almond milk. Pour into moulds and set in the fridge for 3-5 hours. Serve with fresh or pureed berries (they had a picture of raspberries and blueberries on top).

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/s…threadid=827&pagenumber=1

• Champagne Sabayon with Strawberries

Originally posted by raybeanberry

Champagne Sabayon with Strawberries

6 egg yolks
      75ml champagne
      125g sugar (approx. 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons splenda)
      1 punnet of strawberries, washed and hulled

Tip: the ideal way to cook this is in a double-boiler, but if you don’t have one of those, just pop a pyrex or ceramic bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water.

1. In the top half of the double boiler (or in your bowl), away from the heat, whisk together the egg yolks and splenda for a couple of minutes, until the mixture has turned slightly foamy.

2. Add the champagne to the mix then place the top half of the double boiler (or bowl) over the gently simmering saucepan of water and stir it occasionally with a whisk as the mixture thickens and swells in volume. Keep stirring the mixture over the gentle heat for a few minutes so it cooks through. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

3. Arrange the strawberries in serving bowls, and pour over the champagne sabayon.

• Quick Vanilla Custard

Originally posted by raybeanberry

Quick Vanilla Custard

4 egg yolks
      75g sugar (approx. 4 1/2 tablespoons splenda)
      375ml cream
      3 teaspoons vanilla essence

1. Place the egg yolks and splenda in a bowl and beat for a couple of minutes, until well combined.

2. Add the cream to a saucepan and gently heat it through (but make sure it doesn’t boil – just get it up near simmering point). Remove the cream from the heat and pur in the egg and splenda mixture, whisking it well all the time as you go.

3. Add the vanilla essence to the mixture and stir well to combine, then return the saucepan to a very low heat on the stove, and let it all gently cook for about 5-10 minutes until the custard has thickened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

4. You can serve this custard on its own, but it is fabulous with fresh fruits such as berries.

• Raspberry Mousse

Originally posted by coruba

Raspberry Mousse

300g raspberries (fresh or froxen)
      Splenda to taste (approx 2 tablespoons)
      1 1/4 cups thickened cream
      2 1/2 teaspoons powdered gelatine
      2 tablespoons hot water
      2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
      Melted Low carb chocolate
      Muffin tray or dessert cups

Pour melted chocolate into muffin pans or dessert cups to form a base. Rotate pans to coat sides. Refrigerate.

Place rasperries and splenda in a bowl and mix. Place in a food processor with cream. Dissolve gelatine in water as directed on packet. Puree raspberries and with motor running gradually pour in gelatine. Continue to process until mixture starts to thincken. Transfer to a bowl & fold in egg whites. Spoon mixture into chocolate moulds. Cover and refriderate for at least 4 hours.

Sorry no idea of carb count. Makes approx 8 serves.

• Cuppacino Delight

Originally posted by queen

Cuppacino Delight

This is really really yummy, it has froth and all

250g smooth ricotta cheese
      180ml cream
      2 heaped teaspoons gelatine
      2 teaspoons coffee granules
      1 teaspoon splenda

Place ricotta and cream in a blender, blend until smooth and creamy. Disslove the gelatine in 1/4 cup hot water then add the coffee and splenda. Pour the mixture into the blender with the ricotta, blender for about 30 seconds or until it is all frothy on top. Pour into a small dish or a soup bowl, Chill overnight until set. Enjoy....

When it is ready to eat, the bottom half is abit like firm custard and the top half is firm froth ]

• CHOCOLATE PUDDING

CHOCOLATE PUDDING

2 tablespoons cocoa, sifted
      1/8 teaspoon salt
      3/4-1 teaspoon xanthan gum *
      1/2 cup heavy cream
      1/2 cup water
      1/4 cup granulated Splenda (1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon liquid Splenda)
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a 4-cup glass measure or medium microwaveable bowl, whisk together the cocoa, salt, xanthan gum and Splenda (if using granulated). Combine cream and water; gradually mix about 1/2 the liquid into the dry mixture, whisking until completely moistened. Gradually whisk in the rest of the liquid and liquid Splenda, if using. Microwave on HIGH about 3 minutes, whisking briskly about every 30 seconds or so until thickened. Watch closely so it doesn't boil over. Whisk in vanilla; pour into 2 small dessert dishes and chill well.

Makes 2 servings - 1/2 cup each

Made with granular Splenda:
      Per Serving: 234 Calories; 23g Fat; 2g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
      Per batch: 468 Calories; 46g Fat; 5g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 12g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
      Per Serving: 222 Calories; 23g Fat; 2g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
      Per batch: 444 Calories; 46g Fat; 5g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

This is my first experiment making my regular pudding recipe using xanthan gum instead of cornstarch. Other than a slight artificial sweetener aftertaste from the Splenda, this tastes just like the original. I had to make a guess at how much xanthan gum to use. I used 3/4 teaspoon and will check the pudding after a thorough chilling to see if 1 teaspoon would have been better.

Six carbs is a bit high for my taste for a serving, so I would only make this using liquid Splenda, but considering that a half cup serving of regular instant sugar free pudding would have 9 1/2 net carbs, the savings are pretty good even with granulated Splenda. The 9 1/2 carbs is based on preparing the mix with half cream and half water.

* If you plan to eat this plain, 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum is fine for a soft-set pudding, but it you want to use the pudding in a layered dessert, I suggest using a full teaspoon. This is very good once it has chilled, but the consistency is slightly different than regular cooked pudding. The xanthan gum makes it a little bit "gluey", but it's not unpleasant. Also, the pudding doesn't get a skin on it like regular cornstarch pudding does.

genaw.com/lowcarb/chocolate_pudding.html

• POTS DE CRÈME

POTS DE CRÈME

4 ounces sugar free semi-sweet chocolate chips *
      1 cup heavy cream
      1/4 cup granular Splenda or 1/2 teaspoon liquid Splenda
      2 whole eggs
      1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt chocolate with cream and sweetener until slightly thickened and almost boiling. Stir frequently. Whisk until mixture is blended and smooth. This will take 6-10 minutes. Beat the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl. Add about a tablespoon of the hot chocolate mixture to the eggs and whisk in. Repeat until you've whisked in about 1/4 cup of the chocolate. Add egg mixture to pot with remaining chocolate and whisk well. Pour into 4 ramekins and chill at least 4 hours until set. Serve topped with whipped cream, if desired.

Makes 4 servings

* I used MiniCarb chocolate chips.

With granular Splenda:
      Per Serving: 403 Calories; 34g Fat; 8g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 8g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
      Per Serving: 397 Calories; 34g Fat; 8g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

After all the discouraging results I've had with combining Splenda and chocolate in recipes, I'm pleased to say that this really does taste very good. It's a soft-set pudding with a flavor that reminds me of chocolate ice cream. I looked up Pots de Crème in my old Betty Crocker cookbook and her recipe is very similar to this one. The quantities are slightly different, but the main difference is that hers only calls for the egg yolks instead of whole eggs. I might try that next time because that will allow me to try Betty Crocker's variation that incorporates the stiffly beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture for more of a mousse.

My husband gave this a big thumbs up. He called it "gorgeous" and the best chocolate pudding he'd ever eaten. I have to agree that it is very good, but the MiniCarb chocolate chips caused me some digestion problems, to put it as delicately as possible.

If you'd like to try the Betty Crocker variation, make the above recipe, but use only the yolks and half the sweetener. Then, in a small bowl, beat the 2 egg whites until foamy. Beat in the remaining sweetener and continue beating until stiff and glossy. Fold into chocolate mixture until no streaks of white remain and chill as directed above. According to Betty Crocker, you'll get 6 servings instead of 4 with this version. Here are the carb counts for 6 servings:

CHOCOLATE POTS DE CRÈME MOUSSE

With granular Splenda:
      Per Serving: 268 Calories; 23g Fat; 5g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
      Per Serving: 264 Calories; 23g Fat; 5g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

genaw.com/lowcarb/pots_de_creme.html

SIMPLIFIED CHOCOLATE POTS DE CRÈME

genaw.com/lowcarb/simplified_pots_de_creme.html