Pork, Bacon, Ham and Sausages Recipes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Red Pork Curry

Originally posted by starter

Red Pork Curry

Here is one that I thought sounded nice

450g pork fillet
      1 1/2 tablespoons oil
      2 Tablespoons Thai red curry paste
      3 Tablespoons finely shreded ginger
      1 teaspoon ground turmeric
      2 Tablespoons finely sliced garlic (I think this is to much so I use less)
      1 X 400ml tin of coconut cream
      2 Tablespoons fish sauce
      4 Kaffir lime leaves
      2 Teaspoons sugar (splenda)
      a handful of fresh Thai basil leaves or ordinary basil leaves

cut the pork into thin slices
      heat the wok over medium heat and add the oil, when hot add the curry paste and sir fry for 30sec. Add the pork and turn up the heat at stir fry for 1 min or untill they are covered with curry paste. Remove and set aside.

Add the ginger, tumeric and garlic to the wok as stir fry for 10 sec. Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime leaves and sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 min.

Return the pork to the sauce and simmer for 3mins or until cooked through. Toss in the basil and give it a final stir. Serve at once.

I add vegetables to the mix that I have cooked prior, maybe zuccini, snow peas ect.

Enjoy

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1534
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Sausage stirfry (yes you read right)

Originally posted by Rania

Sausage Stirfry

Made this last night.

I bought some sausages that didn't have a lot of filler so not too many carbs, froze them and then cut them into sliced about 2 cm think and put them in the frypan with some oil till they had a ncei browning on the outside of the little pieces. Then added some capsicum, onion, eggplant, a couple of cut up artichoke hearts and some low carb pasta sauce.
      Served up and was so yummy!

PFC with the ingredients I used was Protien 9.5 Fat 7.2 Carb 6.1.
      Fats is higher than I was after but I wasn;t using low fat snags or anything
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Ham and Egg thingos

Originally posted by tracye_aust

Ham and Egg thingos

Now I dont know what these are called but apparently Huey made them on his show.

Use a big greased muffin tin and place a slice (round) of ham into each
      tin, break an egg into each, drizzle a little cream, salt and pepper and
      chopped parsley over then bake in a low oven for about 8-10 minutes or
      until egg just done.

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1385

• Baked Pork Cutlets

Originally posted by sambalam

Baked Pork Cutlets

Preparation time: 15 minutes plus 20 minutes marinating
      Cooking time: 45 minutes

Serves 2

2 large pork loin cutlets, trimmed (chicken works well too)
      2 tablespoons olive oil
      2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
      1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
      2 tablespoons fresh thyme
      1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
      2 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthways (optional)
      1/2 large red capsicum, seeded and chopped into 2cm strips
      2 small zucchini, trimmed and halved lengthways

Preheat oven to 220°C and lightly grease a baking tin or shallow casserole dish. Arrange pork cutlets in a single layer in the tin. Combine the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme and 1 tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar, then spoon half the mixture over the pork cutlets. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for at least 20 minutes.

Place the tomatoes, zucchini and capsicum into the dish around the pork cutlets and spoon remaining herb mixture over the vegetables. Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through and well browned. Serve the cutlets with the roast vegetables and a green salad, or cauli mash.

Nutrition Value with Tomatoes per Serve
      Protein: 95.2g
      Fat: 22.75g
      Carbohydrate: 7.6g
      Calories: 600

edited: changed the recipe to two serves, as I don't think the amount of marinade would cover 4 cutlets. if you want less carbs, omit the tomatoes.

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1326

• Originally posted by Jess

I have been thinking about this for a while and decided to give it a go- It was a yummy sucess and great heated up for lunch today :)
      I was a bit apprehensive cause I thought it would come out really crumbly without Rice and flour- and then without noodles.
      I even got a compliment from a high carber- 'Well you can make that again!' - What can I say :rolleyes:

*** The onion, celery, capsicuim and zucchini and half the cabbage went in the food processor and chopped up VERY FINE (this helped to thicken it up)

Cheeky Chow Mein

700g Pork Mince
      1/2 Onion
      1/2 Red caps
      1/2 Green Caps
      3 Sticks Celery
      1 Zuccini
      1/2 Grated carrot
      1/3 Cabbage
      1 tsp Curry powder
      (I also chucked in Cumin seeds, garlic, mixed spice, parsley, peper, hot paprika, chilli and chopped up an omlette)

Fry onion and then brown mince.
      add all other ingredients and cook!
      Easy Tasty one pan dinner! This is so versatile add what ever you feel like and what quantities you want.

I served Mine on a bed of asparagus- cook up some 2 min noodles for a high-carber :)
      ENJOY!

• Originally posted by moonstruck

Sausage and onion frittata

1 tspn oil
      2 thick 100% beef sausages
      1 red onion, cut into wedges
      1 tsp oregano leaves
      4 eggs
      1 1/2 tspns djorn mustard
      sea salt and cracked pepper
      baby rocket, to serve..

Preheat a small frying pan over high heat.. Add the oil and sausages and cook for 5 minutes..
      Add the onion and cook for a further 5 minutes or until golden and the sausages are cooked through.. Remove the sausages and cool slightly and slice.. Return to the pan with onions and sprinkle with oregano leaves. Lightly beat the eggs, mustard, salt and pepper and pour over the sausage and onion..Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 10minutes or until set..Top with rocket to serve.. serves 2

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1906

• BLT WRAPS

2 romaine, iceberg or Boston lettuce leaves
      4 slices bacon, fried crisp
      1 tablespoon mayonnaise
      1/4 cup tomato, chopped, about 1 1/2 ounces
      Salt and pepper, to taste

Spread the mayo on one side of the lettuce. Arrange the bacon and tomato in the center of each leaf; season to taste. Roll up and eat.

Makes 1 serving

Per Serving: 256 Calories; 24g Fat; 8g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

genaw.com/lowcarb/blt_wraps.html

• NANCY'S SWEET & SOUR PORK STIR FRY VARIATION

NANCY'S SWEET & SOUR PORK STIR FRY VARIATION

1 1/2-2 pounds leftover cooked pork loin roast, cut into 1" cubes *
      2 tablespoons oil
      1 small onion, coarsely chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
      1 small carrot, thinly sliced diagonally, 1 3/4 ounces
      1 clove garlic, minced
      1/4 cup water
      1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
      1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips

SAUCE:
      1/2 cup cider vinegar
      1/2 cup chicken broth
      1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
      2/3 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
      1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or a pinch of freshly grated ginger
      2 tablespoons Better "Heinz" Ketchup
      2 tablespoon soy sauce
      2 tablespoon rice wine or dry white wine
      2 tablespoon Da Vinci sugar free syrup, pineapple flavor
      1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

To prepare the sauce, mix all ingredients together except xanthan gum in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Lightly sprinkle xanthan gum a little at a time over surface and briskly whisk in until sauce thickens; set aside.

Heat a wok, or heavy deep skillet over medium-high heat. When wok is hot, add 2 tablespoons oil. When oil is hot, add pork, onions, carrots, and garlic; stir fry for a 1-2 minutes. Add water and peppers; cover and cook stirring frequently, for about 3-5 minutes or until the peppers are just tender-crisp. Stir the sauce into the meat and vegetables; stir to coat everything well. Cook briefly to heat through. Serve over Faux Rice, if desired.

Makes 6 servings

* About half to two thirds of a cooked pork loin roast.

With granular Splenda:
      Per Serving: 279 Calories; 11g Fat; 32g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 8g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
      Per Serving: 268 Calories; 11g Fat; 32g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

This is even better than the Sweet and Sour Pork they serve in Chinese restaurants because the sauce isn't overly sweet and sticky. This is a great way to use up leftover pork roast. The sauce would work great with chicken too, but I would either start with raw chicken or add cooked diced chicken at the very end and just cook long enough to heat it. There is only one thing that I'd probably do differently next time I make this and that's to cut the peppers into large chunks rather than strips. The strips look very pretty, but they're a little hard to eat when they're that long.

I haven't tried Nancy's breaded pork version yet, but I've posted it anyway because this is a variation of that recipe. As you can see in Nancy's photo, her original version looks just as delicious.

NANCY'S SWEET & SOUR PORK STIR FRY
      2 pounds boneless pork top loin, cut into 1" cubes
      1 egg, beaten
      1/2 cup Carbalose flour
      5 tablespoons oil
      1 small onion, coarsely chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
      1 small carrot, thinly sliced diagonally, 1 3/4 ounces
      1 clove garlic, minced
      1/4 cup water
      1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
      1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips

SAUCE:
      1/2 cup cider vinegar
      1/2 cup chicken broth
      1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
      2/3 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
      1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
      2 tablespoons low carb ketchup
      2 tablespoon soy sauce
      2 tablespoon rice wine or dry white wine
      2 tablespoon Da Vinci sugar free syrup, pineapple flavor
      1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

To prepare the sauce, mix all ingredients together except xanthan gum in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Lightly sprinkle xanthan gum a little at a time over surface and briskly whisk in until sauce thickens; set aside.

Dip pork cubes in beaten egg, drain briefly, and roll in Carbalose flour to coat lightly; shake off excess.

Heat a wok, or heavy deep skillet over medium-high heat. When wok is hot, add 3 tablespoons of the oil. When oil is hot, add half the pork and stir-fry until evenly browned about 7 minutes; lift pork from wok and set aside. Repeat to brown remaining meat, adding more oil if needed.

Scrape away and discard any browned particles from sides and bottom of wok, but leave oil in wok. If necessary, add more oil to wok to make about 2 tablespoons total. Place wok over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add onions, carrots, and garlic; stir fry for about 1 minute. Add water and green pepper; cover and cook stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Add pork; stir the sauce then add to wok. Stir to coat meat and vegetables with sauce. Serve over Faux Rice, if desired.

Makes 6 servings

With granular Splenda:
      Per Serving: 359 Calories; 20g Fat; 32g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 10g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
      Per Serving: 348 Calories; 20g Fat; 32g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 8g Net Carbs

genaw.com/lowcarb/sweet_sour_pork_stirfry.html

• HAM AND MUSHROOM ALFREDO

HAM AND MUSHROOM ALFREDO

3 tablespoons butter
      1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
      8 ounces cream cheese, softened
      3/4 cup heavy cream
      1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, 2 ounces
      1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
      1/2 teaspoon pepper
      1/2 teaspoon Spicy seasoning salt
      Pinch nutmeg
      2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
      12 ounces ham, diced, about 2 cups
      Minced chives, optional

In very large skillet or large saucepan, sauté mushrooms in butter until tender; remove and set aside while preparing sauce. In the same pan, heat the cream cheese on low heat until melted. Gradually whisk in cream until smooth. Stir in parmesan and seasonings. Cook and stir until parmesan has melted. Stir in ham, mushrooms and parsley. Heat through on low heat. Add chives, if using. Serve over broccoli, cabbage, Faux Rice or zucchini, etc. (not included in carb count).

Makes 4-6 servings

Per Batch: 2674 Calories; 241g Fat; 106g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 21g Net Carbs
      Per 1/4 Recipe: 668 Calories; 60g Fat; 27g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
      Per 1/6 Recipe: 446 Calories; 40g Fat; 18g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This is very good and would be nice to serve for company. You could serve it over rice or noodles for the non-low carbers.

genaw.com/lowcarb/ham&mushroom_alfredo.html

• CREAMY HAM AND "POTATO" CASSEROLE

This looks yummy (would make a good leftover christmas ham recipe), make sure you check out the pic!

CREAMY HAM AND "POTATO" CASSEROLE

2 pounds frozen cauliflower
      8 ounces cream cheese
      1/4 cup sour cream
      1 1/2 ounces green onion, chopped, 1 bunch
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
      12 ounces ham, diced, about 2 cups
      Paprika or Spicy Seasoning Salt for garnish

Cook the cauliflower until very tender; drain well. Roughly cut florets into small pieces, but keep them a bit chunky. Put in a greased 2 1/2-3 quart casserole with a lid. Blend in cream cheese, then stir in sour cream, green onion, salt, pepper, cheese and ham. Mix well. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Go easy on the salt because the ham is salty. Sprinkle top with paprika or Spicy Seasoning Salt. Cover and bake at 350º for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 20 minutes until browned and bubbly.

Makes 8 servings

Per Serving: 335 Calories; 26g Fat; 19g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

This is basically Just Like Stuffed Baked Potatoes with ham added. It makes a nice comforting main dish.

genaw.com/lowcarb/creamy_ham_potato_casserole.html

• ZUCCHINI & BACON STIR-FRY

ZUCCHINI & BACON STIR-FRY

4 slices bacon, chopped
      1 ounce onion, chopped, 1/4 cup
      2 medium zucchini, cut in half moons, 12 ounces
      2 eggs, fried in 1 tablespoon butter

In a medium skillet, fry the bacon until it starts to brown and render its fat. Add the onion and zucchini. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until zucchini is tender and caramelized and bacon is cooked completely. Season to taste with salt and pepper while cooking. Transfer zucchini mixture to a serving plate and keep warm. In the same skillet, fry two eggs in butter. Serve eggs over zucchini mixture.

Makes 2 servings

Per Serving: 228 Calories; 17g Fat; 12g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

genaw.com/lowcarb/zucchini_bacon_stirfry.html

• EASY JAMBALAYA

EASY JAMBALAYA

1 medium cauliflower, grated, 20 ounces*
      1 green pepper, coarsely chopped, 6 ounces
      2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
      1 small onion, diced, 2 1/2 ounces
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      2-3 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
      8 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
      8 ounces ham, cubed
      14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
      8 ounce can tomato sauce, 3/4 cup
      3 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning
      Cooking oil

Heat about 2 tablespoons oil in an 8-quart Dutch oven or pot. Sauté the peppers, celery, onion, garlic, chicken and Cajun seasoning, on medium-high heat, until the chicken is nearly done. Add the sausage, ham and cauliflower. Mix well. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to boil, turn down to low. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes until the cauliflower is tender, but not mushy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes 8-12 servings

Per 1/8 Recipe: 265 Calories; 15g Fat; 22g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 8g Net Carbs
      Per 1/12 Recipe: 177 Calories; 10g Fat; 15g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

My husband gave this a big thumbs up! It's basically my regular jambalaya recipe with cauliflower instead of rice. My son couldn't taste the difference, but he did say that the texture was slightly different than real rice. The carb count is pretty high for this dish, but if you deduct the fiber, it's not so bad and most of the carbs come from very good veggies.

* See Faux Rice recipe for tips on grating cauliflower

genaw.com/lowcarb/easy_jambalaya.html

• Re: Pork, Bacon, Ham and Sausages Recipes

Pork recipes from the slow cooker - crockpot thread:

Crock Pot BBQ Country-Style Ribs

LAREDO BARBECUED POT ROAST

ASIAN PORK