Coconut Recipes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Coconut Recipes

I keep meaning to make this thread so we can share ideas on coconut recipes.

I used to hate coconut and now I love it, I even use coconut soaps, shampoos etc...
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Coconut Cream

Okay to start heres some that came with some Ayam coconut cream I bought (changed them to suit LC):

Coconut Chocolate and Berry Iceblocks

540ml Coconut Milk (Cream even better I'd think)
      250g mixed frozen berries or berry of choice, chopped roughly
      1/4 cup grated dark chocolate (Lindt 85%)
      1/4 cup splenda

Combine ingredients. Spoon into iceblock moulds and freeze untill firm (6 hours),

To eat let stand untill softened enough to remove from mould (up to 20min).

Baked Rhubarb and Strawberries with Coconut Cream

350g washed rhubarb cut into 4cm peices (make sure all leaves are removed).
      1 tablespoon splenda
      1 punnet strawberries, halved and stalks removed

Coconut Cream

2 egg white
      1 Tbl splenda
      270ml Coconut Cream
      1tsp Vanilla Essence

Preheat oven to 180c

Place rhubarb on oven tray and sprinkle with splenda. Bake for 10min or untill tender, add strawberries, toss gently and spoon into serving dishes.

Whisk egg whites and splenda untill soft peaks form. Fold through coconut cream and vanilla. Spoon on top of Rhubarb mixture and serve.

Strawberry and Coconut Panna Cotta

1/4 cup boiling hot water
      2 tbl splenda
      1 1/2 tsp gelatine
      1/2 tsp vanilla essence
      140ml coconut cream
      200g strawberry yoghurt (I would just blend some strawberries and splenda with homemade or decent plain yoghurt)
      150 strawberries, halved and stalks removed

Dissolve gelatin and splenda in the hot water and cool for 5 mins.
      Whisk cram, vanilla, yoghurt and gelatin mixture untill smooth.
      Pour into single serve moulds and refrigerate untill set (1 hour).

Serve wity strawberries
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• ANGEL COCONUT

Saw some good coconut recipes from Lindas site, she said I could share:

ANGEL COCONUT

1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, about 1 1/4 ounces
      1 1/2 tablespoons boiling water
      2 tablespoons granular Splenda or 3 drops Sweetzfree *

Place the coconut in a small bowl. Mix the sweetener with the boiling water then pour over the coconut and mix well. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand 15 minutes. This will turn dry, unsweetened coconut into the soft, sweet kind you buy in the grocery store. It can be toasted by spreading on a baking sheet and bake at 350º for a few minutes, stirring occasionally and watching very closely.

Makes 1/2 cup

* I recommend saving some carbs by using liquid Splenda, but if you can't get liquid Splenda, bring 2 tablespoons of vanilla or coconut Da Vinci sugar free syrup to a boil and use 1 1/2 tablespoons in place of the water and sweetener.

With granular Splenda:
      Per 1/2 Cup: 342 Calories; 32g Fat; 3g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

With Da Vinci syrup:
      Per 1/2 Cup: 330 Calories; 32g Fat; 3g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
      Per 1/2 Cup: 330 Calories; 32g Fat; 3g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

This is pretty close to regular sweetened coconut, but maybe slightly wetter rather than sticky like the real thing. I highly suggest mixing the sweetener with the water or it will be difficult to distribute it evenly in the coconut.

genaw.com/lowcarb/angel_coconut.html

• EASY LO-CARB BLENDER COCONUT CREAM PIE

I was thinking you could even go so far as using coconut cream in this by either replacing the cream with it entirely or using both:

EASY LO-CARB BLENDER COCONUT CREAM PIE

EASY LO-CARB BLENDER COCONUT CREAM PIE
      4 eggs
      1/4 cup butter, softened
      1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon baking powder
      2 cups heavy cream
      1 cup Angel Coconut, double batch
      1 teaspoon vanilla or pineapple extract, optional *

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a buttered 10-inch pie plate. Bake at 350º for 45-60 minutes (see my comments below). Bake less time for a more custardy pie and longer for a more cake-like pie.

Makes 8 servings
      Can be frozen (see note below)

* I used 1/2 teaspoon of each.

NOTE: You can freeze the pie, but it will come out much softer and more fragile after thawing. It will go from being very dense and cheesecake-like to a little more creamy.

With granular Splenda:
      Per Serving: 389 Calories; 38g Fat; 5g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
      Per Serving: 377 Calories; 38g Fat; 5g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

After 45 minutes and the top was getting very brown, and it tested done with a knife, so I removed it from the oven. It's more like a coconut custard pie than a cream pie, but perhaps it would come out more firm after baking for an hour. I was afraid that the top would burn if I baked it longer though. I might try lowering the oven temperature after 45 minutes next time and see what happens.

The flavor is very nice and reminds me a little of pineapple upside down cake, especially the brown crusty parts. I highly recommend using some pineapple extract in it if you like that flavor. Rather than use dry unsweetened coconut, I decided to use Angel Coconut because it's more moist. I'm not sure what the baking powder does in this recipe because it's basically a custard and custards don't usually have baking powder in them. I liked this pie and I think it's good enough to make again and try for a more cake-like texture by baking it longer.

UPDATE: After chilling for several hours, the pie firmed up quite a bit and is no longer like custard. I'd say it's kind-of-sort-of-almost the texture of a cheesecake with chewy bits of coconut in it. I don't think I'll bake it any longer than 45 minutes the next time I make it because I see now that it's a little crumbly. I think that if it baked longer, and became dryer, it might fall apart too much.

genaw.com/lowcarb/easy_lowcarb_coconut_creampie.html

• COCONUT CRUNCH DELIGHT II

Now this you could replace the butter with coconut oil or use both:

COCONUT CRUNCH DELIGHT II

1/4 cup butter, 4 tablespoons
      1/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
      1/2 cup almond flour, 2 ounces
      1 batch Angel Coconut
      1/2 cup sliced almonds, 2 ounces
      1 tablespoons sugar free instant vanilla pudding mix *
      1 cup heavy cream
      1/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Spray an 8x8" baking dish with cooking spray. Put butter in pan and microwave until melted. Add next 4 ingredients and mix well with a fork. Spread evenly over bottom of pan and bake at 325º about 20-25, stirring every 5 minutes, until golden brown. Watch closely during last 10 minutes so that it doesn't get too dark or burn. Remove from oven and remove half the crumb mixture from the pan and set aside. Press remaining crumbs evenly over bottom of pan; cool then freeze about 30 minutes or until set.

Meanwhile, place pudding mix in a mixing bowl. Gradually whisk in a little of the cream until the pudding mix no longer looks grainy; add 1/4 cup Splenda and vanilla. Whisk in the remaining cream then briskly whisk until filling is thick and fluffy. Be careful not to over whisk or you could end up with butter.

Drop cream mixture by big spoonfuls over the "crust", then spread gently to cover crust trying not to disturb the crumbs. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the cream filling. Cover and chill several hours before serving.

Makes 9 small servings
      Can be frozen

* You can also use white chocolate or cheesecake flavor pudding mix.

With granular Splenda:
      Per Serving: 255 Calories; 25g Fat; 4g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
      Per Serving: 250 Calories; 25g Fat; 4g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

I like this improved version better than the original and it's even lower in carbs. The Angel Coconut makes the crumb topping sweeter and more flavorful and sliced almonds have more flavor and crunch than slivered. I also prefer this fluffy filling better than the pudding filling. It's more like the high carb recipe that this was adapted from, which had Cool Whip in it. If you'd like thicker servings, simply double the filling. Below are the counts for a double filled version:

Click to see a close-up

With granular Splenda:
      Per Serving: 352 Calories; 35g Fat; 4g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
      Per Serving: 344 Calories; 35g Fat; 4g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

genaw.com/lowcarb/

• COCONUT CHICKEN

This looks like a goodie:

COCONUT CHICKEN

3 thin boneless chicken breast cutlets
      Salt and pepper, to taste
      1 egg white, beaten until frothy
      1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, finely ground, 1 1/4 ounces
      1/2 cup almond flour, 2 ounces
      Salt and pepper, to taste
      1/4 cup oil, for frying

Mix coconut and almond flour in a shallow bowl. Cut each breast into 2 pieces; season with salt and pepper. Dip in egg white, then in coconut to coat on both sides, pressing gently to coat them well. Sprinkle with a little additional salt, if desired. Chill an hour or so until just before cooking time to allow the coating to set up. Fry in hot oil in skillet until golden brown and chicken is cooked through. Serve with a dipping sauce, if desired.

Makes 3-4 servings

Per 1/3 Recipe: 444 Calories; 33g Fat; 32g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
      Per 1/4 Recipe: 333 Calories; 25g Fat; 24g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

I'm very pleased with how this turned out. The coating was very nice. If I wasn't serving this with Chutatip's Peanut Sauce, I'd probably add some seasonings to the coating mixture. Although the recipe calls for 1/2 cup each almond flour and coconut, I had about 1/4 cup of the mixture left after coating my chicken. The counts reflect the actual amount used, but you'll need to have the full amount for easy coating.

genaw.com/lowcarb/coconut_chicken.html

• LISA'S COCONUT MERINGUE COOKIES

LISA'S COCONUT MERINGUE COOKIES

2 large egg whites
      1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
      8 teaspoons granular Splenda
      1/4 teaspoon almond extract
      1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add Splenda and beat until glossy and stiff, but not dry. Add extract and beat briefly. Fold in coconut. Drop by 25 spoonfuls onto a non-stick baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper. Bake at 250º 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave cookies in oven until completely cooled. Store in airtight container and they should stay crisp up to 1 week.

Makes 25 cookies

Per 5 Cookies: 20 Calories; 1g Fat; 2g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

These came out very light and crispy, but not the same texture as regular sugar meringues. As you can see in the photo, they also come out very yellow instead of the usual white color. I can only guess that it's the Splenda that causes it.

genaw.com/lowcarb/coconut_meringue_cookies.html

• PECAN COCONUT CLUSTERS

We could replace that chocolate with melted 85% lindt or some other similar dark chocolate and a little sweetener and coconut oil added. Otherwise you could use low carb chocolate if they don't effect you :o

PECAN COCONUT CLUSTERS

4 ounces MiniCarb chocolate chips
      1 ounce pecans, coarsely chopped
      1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, 1/2 ounce

Put chocolate chips in a small glass bowl and microwave on MEDIUM power about 1 1/2 minutes, stirring after half the time. Stir until smooth; stir in pecans and coconut. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto wax paper lined baking sheet to make 12 clusters. Chill or freeze until set. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 12 clusters

Per Cluster: 78 Calories; 6g Fat; 2g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
      Per 2 Clusters: 155 Calories; 12g Fat; 3g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

These are pretty good, but a bit messy to eat. I suggest eating them right from the fridge and pop the whole thing in your mouth or your fingers will be covered with chocolate.

genaw.com/lowcarb/pecan_coconut_clusters.html

• COCONUT CREAM PUDDING

COCONUT CREAM PUDDING

1/2 cup heavy cream
      1/4 cup sugar free coconut syrup (Da Vinci or Torani)
      1/4 cup water
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut
      1 drop yellow food coloring
      1 teaspoon xanthan gum
      1 egg yolk
      1 teaspoon butter
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla
      1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut, toasted

In a medium microwaveable bowl, whisk together the cream, syrup, water, salt, 3 tablespoons coconut and yellow coloring. Gradually dust xanthan gum over the surface and briskly whisk in; repeat until all xanthan gum in blended in. Whisk in egg yolk. Microwave on HIGH 2-3 minutes, until thick, stirring every minute. Whisk in the butter and vanilla. Divide between 2 dessert dishes and sprinkle toasted coconut over the top; chill.

Makes 2 servings

Per Serving: 322 Calories; 33g Fat; 3g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
      Per Batch: 645 Calories; 66g Fat; 7g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

I made this recipe after trying the Vanilla Pudding recipe and discovered a slightly easier method. There's no need to beat the egg yolk separately and add hot pudding to it. It works just as well to beat in the yolk at the beginning when everything is still cold. This coconut version is nice for those who can't get liquid Splenda. You get the same carb savings by using sugar free syrup. I've never tried it, but banana flavored syrup might be nice in this as well or half banana and half coconut syrup. Don't use more than the 1/4 cup, though, or it will be too sweet. I also found that 1/4 teaspoon of salt was too salty in the Vanilla Pudding but it was necessary for the coconut pudding. I think the extra salt helps bring out the flavor of the coconut.

genaw.com/lowcarb/coconut_cream_pudding.html

• From the chicken thread:

Originally posted by Sherrie
      This looks like a good chicken recipe plus a great way to get some coconut in:

Pan Fried Coconut Chicken Recipe

Ingredients:

* 4 skinless/boneless chicken breast halves
      * premade Asian marinade
      * OR
      * 1 can coconut milk
      * 1 lime juiced
      * 2 tablespoons soy sauce
      * salt and pepper to taste

***Breading:***

* 2 eggs fork beaten
      * 1 cup flour(I am thinking just omit the flour, you could replace with almond flour though)
      * 1 cup packaged sweetened shredded coconut (dessicated coconut)
      * oil to fry (coconut oil!)

Directions:

Marinade the chicken in the coconut milk, soy sauce and lime several hours or overnight. Drain chicken and salt and pepper . Dip chicken in eggs coating well and then in flour mixed with the coconut. Shake off excess. Heat adequate amount of oil in a skillet for proper frying and fry chicken cutlets on medium high heat, turning a few times until golden and done. Do not let coconut breading burn. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve with Asian style noodles and coconut pancakes if desired. (for us serve with stir fried vegies!)

This recipe for Pan Fried Coconut Chicken serves/makes 4.

Url: CD Kitchen

• Nut Crusted Tuna

Nut Crusted Tuna

Chef: Erica Angyal
      Author of the book "Georgeous Skin in 30 Days" and re-published with permission.

This is a wonderful way of cooking fish steaks such as tuna or salmon. You can use almonds, walnuts or macadamia, hazel or pecan nuts.

Serves 4

Degree of difficulty: Low

You need:
      4 x 150g boneless fish steaks
      Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for greasing)
      120g chopped nuts of choice
      Sea salt to taste
      Freshly ground black pepper to taste
      2 teaspoons of freshly chopped parsley
      2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil

Method:
      Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celcius. Grease a baking sheet with a little extra virgin olive oil. Mix the chopped nuts together with the seasoning and put them on a plate. Melt the coconut oil in a pan and remove from heat.

Dip the fish into the coconut oil, then into the nut mixture, pressing down to make sure the nuts hold. Place the nutted fish steaks onto the baking sheet and then put them into the oven for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.

abc.net.au/perth/stories/s1460216.htm

• Lemon, Lime and Coconut Puddings

Okay these were really yummy :)

Lemon, Lime and Coconut Puddings

3 eggs, seperated
      1/2 cup almond meal (use fresh, fluffy almond meal)
      1/4 cup dessicated coconut
      1/2 cup splenda
      1 tbl, finely grated lime rind
      1 tbl finely grated lemon rind
      2 tbl lime juice
      4 tbl lemon juice
      1/3 cup water
      270ml coconut milk (I used cream)
      coconut oil

Preheat oven, high carb version recipe says 180c but I found it a little high. Grease 6 1 cup size ramekins with coconut oil.

Cream together yolks and splenda in a large bowl untill thick. With a metal spoon fold in almond, dessicated coconut, rinds, juices, coconut milk and water until combined.

Boil water, beat whites untill soft peaks form. Fold into coconut mixture and spoon into ramekins.

Place ramekins into roasting tray and fill tray with boiled water untill it comes halfway up the ramekins. Place in oven for 25-30 mins or untill knife inserted comes out clean.

• Oh I keep forgetting heres some more ayam recipes from their coconut cream cans I forgot about:

Coconut, Chocolate and Berry Ice Blocks

2 x 270ml Ayam coconut milk
      250g mixed frozen berries, chopped roughly
      1/4 cup splenda
      1/4 cup coarsely grated dark chocolate (85% lindt)

Combine ingredients and spoon into ice block moulds.

Freeze 6 hours or until firm

To eat, remove from freezer and let stand for 20mins or untill soft enough to remove from moulds.

Baked Rhubard and Strawberries with Coconut Cream

350g rhubarb stalks (leaves are poisonous) washed and cut into 4cm lengths
      1 punnet of strawberries, remove stalks, wash and cut in half.
      1 tbl splenda or alternative

Coconut Cream
      1 270ml Ayam coconut cream
      2 egg whites
      1 tsp vanilla extract
      1 tbl splenda

Preheat oven to 180C
      Place rhubarb on tray, sprinkled with splenda and bake for around 10 mins or until tender.

Gently toss in strawberries

To make coconut cream:

Beat whites and splenda until soft peaks form, fold through cream and vanilla.

Serve fruit on plates with cream spooned over the top.

(I have a rhubarb and strawberry crumble I'll have to post later too)

• Chocolate Coconut Candy

Hey heres a cool coconut oil recipe courtesy of Nikki and her great blog Oh 2 B Fit (she has other yummy sweet recipes as well so make sure to check them out :)

Now this looks really really good and with this I can't see how anyone could not get their coconut oil in now. For some of the benefits of coconut oil and where to buy it, read this thread Coconut Oil

Chocolate Coconut Candy

Ingredients

3 tbsp Coconut oil (45 ml)
      .25 oz Walnuts (7 grams)
      1 tsp Vanilla Extract
      3 Squares Lindt Dark Chocolate 85% cocoa
      Sweetzfree or Splenda to taste

Directions

Put all ingredients in microwave safe bowl.
      Microwave for 1 minute or until melted. Mix well.
      Put in freezer. Once frozen break or cut into little candy chunks.

Number of Servings: 3
      Nutritional Info

* Servings Per Recipe: 3
      * Amount Per Serving
      * Calories: 192.0
      * Total Fat: 20.0 g
      * Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
      * Sodium: 5.2 mg
      * Total Carbs: 2.5 g
      * Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
      * Protein: 1.4 g

• Re: Coconut Recipes

Can't seem to find the recipe for my favourite Coconut Rough.

Actually it is 'rough' in more than one way...I 'roughly' estimate the measurements of the ingredients and it makes 'roughly' 12 serves and I haven't bothered with the pfc counts.:p

COCONUT ROUGH

100g almond meal
      100g dessicated coconut
      3 tblspns splenda powder
      3 tblspns cocoa powder
      300ml coconut oil (butter) - I use the refined one

Mix dry ingredients until lumps are gone. Melt coconut oil, combine with dry ingredients and spoon into patty cases. Keep refrigerated. Eat when set.
    • Creamy Coconut Squares

This looks really yum:

Creamy Coconut Squares

1 tbsp. Swanson Virgin Coconut Oil
      1 box (8 oz.) organic cream cheese (soften)
      1 stick organic butter (1/4 pound)
      4 large free-range eggs
      2 1/2 tsp. organic vanilla extract
      1 cup Swanson Coconut Flour
      1/2 cup Swanson Xylitol
      1 cup fresh raspberries

Pre- heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 11 x 7 pan with coconut oil. Beat butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer. Blend until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well. Add xylitol and vanilla extract, and continue mixing. Beat in coconut flour until well blended. Pour batter into pre-greased pan; bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Cut into squares and top each one with 3 fresh berries. Makes 24.

Creamy Coconut Squares