Ketostix results

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Ketostix results

Wondering if anyone can tell me how quickly carbs effect the results on ketostix? I have been using ketostix to test out a few different foods and see how they effect me and ketosis. But I am never sure if I should test an hour after I have eaten it or the next morning or what!
      And then there have been times when I have thought I have not eaten anything that should take me out of ketosis and yet the result is not pink anymore! How do I work out approx how long ago I ingested whatever took me out of ketosis to try and pin point it?
    • Just test out one food at a time that way you'll always know which one is the culprit.

Within 1-2 hours after eating you should see a change but it is always possible for a food to only take you out temporarily.
      If your in ketosis the following morning then it never took you out, just delayed the fat burning for a bit.

Make sense?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Ketostix results

Sue it could mean that you are just using up all your excess ketones and hence not registering on the sticks. How long since you began doing low carb?

On the other hand fruit is probably one of the worst for taking one out of ketosis though I am not sure if you have enough to be a problem considering your activity level you might want to abstain and see if that makes a difference.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Sherrie, I just have a question. I very rarely - read that never - show ketones on my sticks, even when really strict with carbs etc. I've heard you say previously that people 'use them up' how exactly does the body do this? Today, however I am still eating the same, but about an hour or so following a long and hard gym session it was purple, purple, purple. Still purple 6 hours later, but will be gone by am. This happens every time I exercise. I am keeping carbs at about 20 all the time.

Essie

That is interesting Essie, it has to be non other then bodyfat as your not eating fat while exercising!!! Plus if your dehydrated after your session that could make the sticks show stronger too.

The thing is most people after say 4 weeks of so of being in ketosis start to adapt and they gradually start wasting less ketones until they get to the point where they only make as much as they need. The ketones you measure on the sticks are excess ketones, so once adapted a negative reading doesn't have to mean you are out of ketosis but rather that you are not burning any extra.

If you are one of the lucky ones who keep burning extra ketones so that you pretty much always register a reading then the sticks are a really good tool but if your one of the unlucky ones (which just means you an efficient ketone burner and nothing more) then once at that point the sticks are probably more a hindrance.

If you ever get a negative reading and your not sure if it means your out or not, a good measure to go with it is your weight. If your weight went up over night then your most likely out but if it stayed the same then your either borderline or your just burning the ketones efficiently.

I was a lucky one I always had purple sticks, the only time that changed is when I was taking durathon (ginseng) for some reason on that I always had a negative reading in the morning.

Some people never waste ketones not even in the beginning and so NEVER get a reading.

Sherrie wrote:

The ketones you measure on the sticks are excess ketones, so once adapted a negative reading doesn't have to mean you are out of ketosis but rather that you are not burning any extra.

If you ever get a negative reading and your not sure if it means your out or not, a good measure to go with it is your weight. If your weight went up over night then your most likely out but if it stayed the same then your either borderline or your just burning the ketones efficiently.

That's right, my physiology is coming back to me now, ketones are the end process of fat metabolism. I have been on the protein only today and just had a big lot of veggies for dinner, so I should be burning fat. But mabe as I'm a pretty 'slow loser' anyway, I'm burning fat but not necessarily enough for me to personally make ketones???

Ok...I get that ketones in the urine are only present when your burning fat for fuel, but if those ketones are leftovers which haven’t been used by the body for fuel, then where do those extra's come from? The extra fats ingested in the diet is my guess, and if that’s right then what percentage of fat should we be eating to enhance burning energy from stored fat rather than what we eat? Thinking about this from a ‘calorie deficit’ point of view, I’m guessing that if we eat too much fat then that’s what we’ll burn first, rather than stored fat, which could possibly be the reason for not losing/maintaining or gaining weight while eating lc??

Oh, one more question…if your burning ketones efficiently and you don’t get a reading from the strips, then how do you know your in ketosis? I’ve never tested for ketosis and have no idea if I’ve ever been in it so I’m very curious.

When you enter ketosis you will generally lose around a couple of kgs of water weight, you will feel less bloated, head clearer, possible bad breath and smelly urine and your appetite should dimish substantially. When you go out of ketosis you will gain 1 or 2 kgs overnight (water weight).

Yes you do need a calorie deficit and fat is the easiest way to do it but you still need a decent amount, low fat diets come with their own set of problems. This page should help you work out a good place to start calorie wise: BMR and Calories

As for extra ketones, it is said your body is wasteful with ketones at first until it adapts and then it becomes more efficient hence why people get dark readings for the first month or two and then pink to trace later on.

Sherrie wrote:

When you enter ketosis you will generally lose around a couple of kgs of water weight, you will feel less bloated, head clearer, possible bad breath and smelly urine and your appetite should dimish substantially. When you go out of ketosis you will gain 1 or 2 kgs overnight (water weight).

Hi sherrie,
      Just curious, havent tested for ketosis, so not sure what I am in.
      I am the opposite, yes have been losing weight slowly, but am feeling bloated and hungry? and my urine has gone clear and no smell.
      would this mean i havent hit ketosis yet?

Phoenix I just realised something, your on lithium, you need to be careful perhaps with ketosis because lithium is very sensitive to water balance and dehydration can be very dangerous for you as it amplifies the effects of the lithium. Now I would still stick to LC but in regards to ketosis I would go over it with your doctor, maybe you will just need to lower dosage of your lithium.

BUT at the same token I must say that what you may want to research up on is that ketosis is meant to be very good for bipolar as a mood stabaliser, perhaps discuss this with your doctor as well.

Here's a quick reference:

Med Hypotheses. 2001 Dec;57(6):724-6.

The ketogenic diet may have mood-stabilizing properties.

El-Mallakh RS, Paskitti ME.

Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Kentucky 40292, USA.

The ketogenic diet, originally introduced in the 1920s, has been undergoing a recent resurgence as an adjunctive treatment for refractory epilepsy, particularly in children. In this difficult-to-treat population, the diet exhibits remarkable efficacy with two-thirds showing significant reduction in seizure frequency and one-third becoming nearly seizure-free. There are several reasons to suspect that the ketogenic diet may also have utility as a mood stabilizer in bipolar illness. These include the observation that several anticonvulsant interventions may improve outcome in mood disorders. Furthermore, beneficial changes in brain-energy profile are noted in subjects on the ketogenic diet. This is important since global cerebral hypometabolism is a characteristic of the brains of depressed or manic individuals. Finally, the extracellular changes that occur in ketosis would be expected to decrease intracellular sodium concentrations, a common property of all effective mood stabilizers. Trials of the ketogenic diet in relapse prevention of bipolar mood episodes are warranted.

Now to answer your question: you may still be in ketosis, the thing is, your urine only measures excess ketones, if you're not wasting any which can happen if you're not eating enough fat or doing lots of exercises or have simply adapted which can happen in just a few weeks for some, then you will not be spilling enough ketones in your urine to be detected.

As for bloated and hungry, this shouldn't be the case, either something is not agreeing with you or there's hidden carbs somewhere such as sugar alcohols which are famous for it. Then again because your lithium is so sensitive to water balance maybe something is going on there? please see a doc about it to be safe. Garry had this problem during his ECT because he had to fast overnight before each session which he had 3 times per week. Anyway he progressively got dumb and child like, hard to explain but it was very freaky. Anyway I figured out why it was happening (they were all dumbfounded) and emailed his doc and sure enough they got him to stop taking it on those days and it was a lot better. Anyway, he was lucky that was all that happened as dehydration is very dangerous when taking lithium.

Thank you Soo much,

I wasn't aware of this!
      NO ONE has ever mentioned lithium, water balance and dehydration.

My doctor, I know will tell me straight away to go off LC, as he told me blah blah blah about all the long unforeseen side effects of this sort of eating!!!, before I took it upon myself as this was the way to go for my self and that wasn't for the depression side of things it was for a back injury, that he veto'd it as a healthy option.

I am going to spend today doing google searchers on what you have said.

you are probably right on the other question, I believe I eat enough fats But my exercise is very minimal at this stage. With the hunger issue, some days worse than others, have had NO processed anything all natural, even my cheese cake/muffins and oopsie rolls have contained less than a 1/2 tsp splenda. No carbs except veges for 4 weeks.

how long was Garry on lithium for if you dont mind me asking? and how long to wean off.
      Sorry for all the questions.
      I have railroaded another post:(

Thank you again so much.

Cheers

Phoenix no-one told Garry either!!! I used to research his meds every time they would prescribe him a new one and that's how I found out. The worst bit was and no offense to his doctor because I don't mind her but despite doing ECT all the time in a private hospital she did not know this nor did the public hospital where Garry was having it down and they do this several times every day!!!

If you look up some info on lithium you will find warnings that you must stop taking it when you have diarrhea, vomiting, flu etc because of this reason!

Garry didn't have issues with weaning off (I will ask him to be sure but I doubt he remembers anything) but as I said it never helped him so that could be why. I'm not sure if lithium has the same addictive properties as anti D's I don't think it does because if I remember right it has a very short half life. Keep in mind this has been over a year since I researched it. I don't think he was on it for too long, maybe a few months at most. Back then they used to swap his meds around all the time like it was nothing, there was no weaning from anything!

Now if I remember right (I could be remembering wrong) lithium had no metabolic syndrome/diabetes type side effects but there were issues with kidneys, thyroid not sure what else, but you will find that when you google. But Lithium does seem to have a good side too, apparently people with clinical depression actual lose some brain mass in one part of the brain, think its in the center at the front not sure but anyway they have been doing some research on it and have been finding lithium restores the brain mass!

If you do a search in my diary for lithium you should find a post where I linked to an article on it.

No we love rail roading and its an important topic!

How sad that he might not remember, but at the same time a blessing in disguise?
      This is my 3rd lot of meds that they are trying to work out with me.

Yes they swap and change them from one day to the next, but with every new script comes the warning from my chemist. Now don't you stop these abruptly.
      if this lot keeps causing me these massive headaches and sore croaky voice they will try epilim an med for epilepsy that is suppose to have good results for Bi-Polar 2 people. though supposedly not with Bi-polar 1.

Cheers for all your help

Phoenix if that med does help then there's a very good chance that ketosis will have a similar effect. Consider that the ketogenic diet is used to treat children with epilepsy and their ketogenic diet is higher in fat then Atkins.

Hi Everyone,

I am on day 9 of my LC diet and have been fairly pleased with my results.

I have been using the Ketostix morning and night to test for Ketosis and up untill day 7 it ranged between trace and +++, now it is not showing even a trace.:confused:

My question is, Has my body adjusted its fuel source to fat If there is no Ketones in my urine, does it mean that my body is still in Ketosis but is using them all for fuel so there is no excess to pass through?

Any ideas, suggestions or comments greatly appreciated...:p