Newbie...need some advice please :o)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Still No Atkins Books

Ahhh still waiting for my Atkins books via mail.

Although I did also purchase from E-bay from someone else an Atkins Kit for Life, but that's for after I loose the poundage:rolleyes:

I did go shopping today and I went looking for a different Protein Shake. I looked in one shop for the Golliath type that was recommended but they didn't have it, although they gave me free two samples of another type which they sell.

Ended up at another shop and they had the Golliath WP190 product, so I got some of that in chocolate and mocha and am looking forward to trying it.

Is a protein shake a good meal replacement or is it more an inbetween meal thing to do? Or what about one before bed to keep the ketones kicking over during the night?
    • Make sure you add a tablespoon of oil to it like flax, or coconut as theres not many calories, going by memory a typical protien shake mixed in water is only 100-120 calories which isn't much plus that oil will slow down the absorbtion of the protein which is important as protein can still spike your insulin.

If your sensitive to fat, add it in slowly.

Don't worry about one before bed, no food just before bed is even better to encourage ketosis.

While you are waiting for your books have you looked here? atkins.com/articles/atkins-phases
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Hey I was reading a book last night and this little bit on Gallbladder ailments reminded me of you:

"Eat Fat Lose Fat, Dr Mary Enig, Sally Fallon

Coconut oil is the ideal fat for those suffering from gallbladder ailments because most of the fatty acids in coconut oil do not require bile for digestion.

Conventional medical thinking says that if you have stones in your gallbladder, it is dit does the presence of gallstones really mean the gallbladder is diseased?

Let's take a closer look. When we eat fat, the gallbladder releases bile into the digestive tract to break the fat down into absorbable fatty acids. The gallbladder acts as a holding tank for the bile, which is secreted by the liver and is made out of cholesterol.

In our view, the presence of gallstones means that your body has increased its reservoiur of cholesterol. If you have low cholesterol, your body needs such a reservoir on hand because it cannot be assured of getting adequate cholesterol from the bloodstream. Thus, it's actually counterproductive to reduce the fat in your diet, for this would only increase the body's tendency to store fat and hence to form gallstones. Instead, the best way to eliminate gallstones is to give your gallbladder the cholesterol it needs by eating adequate amounts of animal fats.

But it's crusial to eat the right fats. when people eat a lot of vegetable oils and trans fats, the gallbladder can become infalamed easily. That's yet another reason why eliminating those fats is so important. And when someone misguidedly follows a low-fat diet, the gallbladder stops working, still another harmful effect of the low-fat diets we've all been told are so healthy."

You can find more of their stuff on westonaprice.org aswell
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Thanks for that Sherrie, sounds interesting. Coconut oil, I presume that would be available at health food shop? or supermarket?

Kinda sounds like me, when I've been cholesterol blood tested before its always been low.

One thing I wanted to ask, when its "that time of the month" does the body i.e., insulin production work differently?? Was curious as the body has different hormones happening at that time, can it effect the weight loss??
    • Oh yes definately, you can get cravings, some even temporarily go out of ketosis for a few days to a week despite being real good, plus most of us retain fluid to the point of not only hiding your losses but causing weight gain. But that said as soon as TOM (Time Of Month) passes it goes and you usually weigh less. Remember, aslong as your eating like normal don't worry about it.

You'll find coconut oil in any health food shop, go for unrefined and undeodorised coconut which is classed as virgin coconut oil I think. Organic is the same too except apparently it doesn't need to be organic as the coconut trees generally arn't sprayed anyway. So aslong as its unrefined and undeodorised your set!

• Hah it just dawned on me, when I was pregnant I had very low cholesterol all the way through and I gained heaps of weight no matter what I ate. Maybe thats why!!!

Interesting....

• LOL I don't know what drugs I was on this morning LOL I never had low cholesterol I had low blood pressure ROFL

Hehe might be because I only had a few hours sleep last night!

• Well they must of been good drugs Sherry :D

Ahhh sorry for my lapse in time responding, I have been a tad busy.

Well an update: the books I was waiting for the package of 4 have not arrived yet :( but good old paypal gave me a refund today so I'm quite happy, and because I was of the opinion they were never coming I bought another from ebay in the meantime. So I have the New Atkins Revolution book, it is the 1999 copy, so think it is either his 2nd or 3rd version, but don't think much has changed.

So the past few days I've been reading it busily.

I've come to the conclusion that I am in a quite metabolic disadvantage (something like that), therefore I've put myself onto the 14 day induction the past 2 days and cut out a couple of things I was having and adjusted my vegetable intake, think I need to have a bit less that is stated and it has worked, last 2 days eating tuna, cheese, eggs, chicken, bok choy, broccoli have lost just over or on 1kg :D :D :D . I have put my Protein shakes aside for now (although I do enjoy them) and forcing myself to eat something instead of a shake.

One thing I wanted to ask, in the list of allowable food it says things like sliced meats i.e., I presume ham, salami etc., are exceptions? Does this mean you can have or can't? Didn't quite understand that bit.

And hubbys update, well he hasn't been loosing anymore weight, he is having Freedom Foods museli think it is for breakfast (which has fixed his fibre intake problem), lunch is same as we ate for dinnr night before, so meat and some vegies or egg etc., and then he has dinner. He rides his bike to work so it is a 40km round trip, but he as I said has began to bulk up, and when he was out of his bike gear last night I noticed the stomach area, he is beginning to form what they call on US tv shows a 6 pack, which he was very proud of when I pointed it out to him:D .

Also I bought yesterday some new vitamins Bioglan brand, Low Carb Multi, CarbWise complete multivitamin for Low Carb Dieters. Have you ever heard or tried these? Or are there another type you might think would be better??

So many questions all at once, lol. :confused:
    • Sliced meats are generally okay, the reason I don't eat them is because they are very processed and can have alot of crap in them etc but up to you. Might be worth it to begin with while you get into the swing of it then get rid of them later if you want. Just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't have an effect on you.

If your husbands going to have a meusli ( I take it hes not doing induction?) then get him to look out for one with oats, nuts and seeds, coconut and maybe some honey too (if he can get away with it) but avoid the ones with other cereals and especially dried fruit in them. I find its much more nutritous and tolerable that way, I make my own, very yummy.

6 pack, how lovely!

Swisse multivitamin with no iron is a good one. They have ones for men too. If your eating a typical low carb diet that contains lots of red meat then iron in supplements is not required.

Let me know if I missed anything?

• One thing I wanted to ask, in the list of allowable food it says things like sliced meats i.e., I presume ham

The Adelphi Ham is best and the shoulder or leg ham on the bone.much better than the sandwich ham sold sliced...
      You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
      You grow old because you stop laughing.
    • Thanks for that Moonstruck, was kinda thinking that myself the ham off the bone option.

I have another question, hubby is now wanting to get some type of Protein shake, just as an extra to have while he is at work...we had a little look yesterday at the health food shop, but there are so many :confused: it is confusing. The one I bought myself was the Golliath WP?? for women the other week.

Is there a particular one that is good for men, or what should it NOT contain, and what should it contain etc. Hubby doesn't need to loose anymore weight, he is just wanting maybe to work on that 6 pack I told him about, lol :D

P.S. I have not been having my shakes the past week, thought I'd see how I go without, and eating more instead. I did buy some coconut oil yesterday, can I ask when I do goto mix some with my protein shake as previously recommended, how??? it looks quite solid in a jar. Do you melt it first? eat on a teaspoon? and I read somewhere it could be taken instead of the psyllium husks. How would you do that, a teaspoon??
    • I did buy some coconut oil yesterday, can I ask when I do goto mix some with my protein shake as previously recommended, how??? it looks quite solid in a jar. Do you melt it first? eat on a teaspoon?
      I have been asking the same question, and it seems if you leave it out of the fridge it is liquid at room temperature..You can eat it off the spoon too it seems..

Read this thread..
      apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2198

p.s if you like the Goliath for Women, maybe hubby can try the Goliath WPI for men...I like Goliath because they blend so easy..
    • Yeah Goliath WPI would be fine for him, it can used straight after any weights he does.

Speaking of protein powders and coconut milk I got an email today advertising tubs of coconut milk powders, trying to find their website to find out more info.

Keep in mind it might pay to use water that is not from the fridge when mixing protein shake with coconut oil incase it hardens. I've got a couple of books with coconut shake recipes I'll have a look and see what they say when I get a chance.

• Hi again. Thanks for your responses.

Re: the coconut oil, I bought mine on Friday night at the health food shop, they had 3 types on sale, all in a jar and none of them were liquid, all sitting on the shelf. It did start to look a little oily when I was holding the jar walking around the shop though. And I've not opened it yet, it is sitting in the cupboard, and it still looks a solid looking texture, is white, might be softish but don't think is liquid. It would be a bit like Ghee I imagine, it would solidify in the fridge, but it is probably just softish in the cupboard :confused:

Okay will get onto the Golliath for him.

He gets up early in the morning, he eats breaky 3:30am or so which is his cereal, then around 4:15am or so he rides his bike 20km to work, has a shower and starts work. So he was thinking of having the protein shake mid-morning I think, which would be more than 3 hours after he has had his carb containing cereal breakfast. So it wouldn't exactly be lifting weights, lol, but a solid workout on the bike, I'm stuffed after I sit on my exercise bike and clock up 2km (ahhh which is a memory), lol.
    • Yeah that should be really good for him to have the shake then too!

With the coconut oil it depends on the temperature of your house, if its cold it will be solid, if its warm, liquid. All you have to do is melt it, it melts very easy, I usually just put some in a small dish or cup and put that over a bolw or sink of hot water.

In both books they blend the coconut oil in slowly and then once fully blended add ice to it to make it nice and cold.

• Hello...ahhhh that coconut oil is YUMMY :D

I was cooking dinner last night and thought to myself ...hmmmm I might try cooking with a teaspoon of coconut oil, and I thought I'd have a taste as someone in that other coconut thread said they just ate it by the spoon, and I thought it was fine, it just tasted like coconut cream, I used to cook alot of Thai food and it had that coconut taste, or I'd buy raw fresh coconut to eat and it was not much different to that. So I wouldn't have any problem having it just on a spoon. I'm in Melbourne, so it is in a slightly solid form, kinda like vaseline if that makes sense :confused: lol.

Also last night did the big clean out of my pantry, I have a very big pantry and it contained everything you could ever want or wish for, no reciepe would be unable to cook as I had everything, well now I don't, lol, chucked out lots of bits and pieces, so now I'm on track...did keep a little snack corner of chockies that are my 4yo's but I am not tempted, lol
    • Miestar if you can eat it of the spoon then your on to a winner!!!

I used to hate coconut with a passion before LC so I have come a long way but noway can I eat it off the spoon hehe :)

It will get harder the colder it gets but don't worry thats a good thing.

• I wouldn't have any problem having it just on a spoon.
      I hope I can eat it off the spoon as I don't want to muck around making my shake with room temperature water to blend and then adding ice cubes..I am usually in a hurry when I have a shake for brekky..

Sherrie how much a day would be a good serve???