Low Carb Muffins

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Muffins

• Basic Low Carb Muffin Mix and Variations

It just occurred to me that okay theres no POH low carb muffin mix anymore but there's still no reason we can't use those recipes and make yummy low carb muffins again from scratch.

I'm sure most of you remember the old POH muffin mix and cereal mix threads that the hacker deleted?

For those that don't well we had tons of really yummy recipes all the members here made up.

The best thing about those muffins was we could make all sorts of stuff with them, our only limitation was our imagination.

Anyway it just so happens I have got a bunch of almond meal in the cupboard that I have to use up and I was thinking why couldn't we just replace the poh mix with almond meal and go from there?

For muffins suitable for Atkins induction instead of almond meal try flax meal or make your own 'POH' muffin mix. The POH mix contained flax seeds, psyllium husks, dessicated coconut and whey protein isolate.

Just so happens I have my old note book with the basic muffin recipe and a few of the variations, not many but enough to get started.

Basic Low Carb Muffin Mix:

1 cup Muffin Mix (lets try almond meal)
      2 tsp baking powder
      2 eggs
      1/2 cup splenda (now keep in mind sometimes 1/2 cup was too sweet and might still be even more so with almond meal)
      1 tsp Vanilla
      150ml liquid (cream,buttermilk or water) Now would we need so much liquid without the husks that was in the poh mix?

Now I never wrote down method but I assume it would be mix dry ingredients add wet, stir and chuck in muffin pan :p

Bake for 20-25mins at 160C

Variations:

Choc Hazlenut

3 heap tsp cocoa
      100g hazlenut meal
      1/4 tsp baking powder

Lemon Cheesecake Muffins

2 tsp lemon essence
      150g cream cheese

My fav basic low carb choc muffins:

4 heaped tsp cocoa
      150g cream cheese

*Note* I didn't have any cream cheese so I made some basic chocolate ones but with more cocoa powder, 1/2 cup dessicated coconut and around 1 tbl of melted butter.

These turned out nice, would be nice with some whipped cream.

Cheese and Bacon

2 Bacon Rashes
      1/2 cup Cheese
      1 tbl Butter melted
      extra cheese + caynene pepper or paprika sprinkled on top

Now keep in mind these may need experimentation to taste right with almond meal.

Other ideas I remember were cheese and chive, cinnamon, orange, coconut, coffee, lemon and poppy seed, ones with LC choc inside, walnut, there was quite a few.

I'll have to look later and see if theres any on my PC also another good one to find would be RBBs muffins, anyone have that recipe still?

I just discovered an old thread that discusses ideas aswell, I reccomended replacing the soy flour with something else however: Muffin Mix
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Strawberry and Almond Friands

Oh and how can I not add this recipe to the thread: apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/s…hp?postid=14762#post14762

BEWARE: Only make these when your feeling strong as they are really good and hard to stop at one!

Originally posted by Sherrie
      I was gonna put this in the mixes thread but decided this was so good it deserves a thread of it's own.

This was Rossanas idea, I just cooked it for her as her comp diet does'nt allow for any thing yummy like this! ;P

Oh no PFC yet I'm too busy eating them as I only just made them for the first time. (and too lazy!) :P

Almond and Strawberry Friands

Makes 12

185g butter melted
      1 cup almond meal
      6 egg whites, beaten lightly
      1 1/2 cups of splenda (I reckon we might be able to get away with 1 cup)
      1/2 cup POH Muffin Mix
      Dash of vanilla Essence/Extract
      100g strawberries, sliced thinly

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease friand/muffin pan(s).

Combine all ingrediants except strawberries and stir until just combined. Divide mixture amongst pans and scatter with the strawberry slices.
      Bake in oven at 200C for about 25mins. Remove from oven and stand for 5 mins then turn onto wire rack and allow to cool.

These are really good, almost too good! :P

PFC

Per friand = 185.5 Calories 6 Protien 18 Fat 3.7 Carbs.

Per batch = 2226 Calories 72.6 Protien 219.7 Fat 44.6 Carb
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Found RBBs muffin recipe:

Originally posted by raybeanberry
      When I meet with PP we were talking about the muffins. I told her that mine are pretty much normally size for a muffin, where as she said her's were small. I was going to bring one for her, but it looks as though I may have to bring the whole batch for everyone. One big tip I can give you, is if you can fit in the extra PFC and Calories add Almond meal or Hazelnut meal if you like it. This is how I make my muffins, it is a double mix so I get 12 big muffins.
      2 cups of Muffin mix
      4 eggs
      4 teaspoons baking powder
      24 splenda tablets (used to be 1/2 cup granular splenda)
      3 tablespoons cocoa
      1/2 cup coconut
      100g (1pkt) Almond or Hazelnut meal
      1 1/2 - 2 cups of water (this is really a judgement call, I know the consistency that I am looking for)
      100ml Diet-Choc Topping (cottee's)

And if I am being naughty like I did on the weekend add some chopped chocolate.

These are cooked in an electric oven at 160C for 30 minutes. [/B]

I also read in her diary later that she replaced the choc topping with 150ml coconut cream which turned out really good but needs more cocoa as otherwise its not as chocolately.

• Oooh look all you have to do is substitute the sugar and chocolate chips and viola!

Flourless Chocolate Muffins
      Yield: 6 very large muffins or 12 normal size.

Ingredients
      4 eggs, separated
      ½ cup (90 g) sugar
      1 cup (140 g) almond flour (almond meal or finely ground almonds)
      4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
      1 tablespoon butter, softened
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      3 oz (90 g) chocolate chips

Method

1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F (Gas mark 4 or 180 deg C).
      2. Grease 6 large muffin tins or cups.
      3. Separate the eggs.
      4. In a bowl mix the softened butter with half of the sugar (1 ½ oz) until white. Add one egg yolk at a time, and mix well.
      5. Add almond flour, cocoa powder and baking powder, and mix gently.
      6. In a separate clean bowl whisk the eggs whites until stiff and in peaks by using an electric mixer, gradually add the remaining sugar (1 ½ oz) and whisk well each time sugar has been added.
      7. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
      8. Add the chocolate chips and mix gently.
      9. Bake at 350 degrees until a until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 35 minutes.

The Chocolate Muffins may be served hot or at room temperature.

cacaoweb.net/flourless-chocolate-muffins.html

[edit]

For some reason they seemed to have changed the recipe to this:

Ingredients
      3 eggs
      1 cup (200 g) sugar
      5 oz (140 g) almond flour (2 cups almond meal or finely ground almonds)
      6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
      2 tablespoons (1 fl oz) vegetable oil
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      2 teaspoons vanilla

Method

1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F (Gas mark 4 or 180 deg C).
      2. Grease 6 large muffin tins or cups, or 12 normal muffin tins.
      3. In a bowl beat the eggs with sugar for 3-5 minutes using an electric mixer.
      4. Add the vegetable oil and mix well.
      5. Add almond flour, cocoa powder, vanilla and baking powder, and mix gently.
      6. Bake at 350 degrees until a until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 35 minutes.

• Just wanted to add this recipe to the muffin thread as it is suppossed to be good, remember don't add nuts if on induction:

(link no longer works)

Hey Astrid I was thinking when she can handle almonds that the flourless chocolate muffin recipe minus the chocolate and sweetener might make a good base too. For Mayas first I made her a flourless chocolate cake, though she really only had a couple of tastes of it (pity that ;) ) she handled it well.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie ().

• Hey Astrid I was thinking you might find some useful recipes here: scdrecipe.com/recipes/r_029_00270.php

This site is for people with allergies, IBS etc so there should be some good ideas there for kids, I'm going to try some :)

• Re: Muffins

How did you go with the one minute muffin Brig?

Hey I found this recipe on Lindas site, might be a while yet before I can make it so if anyone wants to give it a try and let me know I'd appreciate it! I was thinking (minus the splenda) it would be a good muffin recipe for kids too!

APPLE-CINNAMON MUFFINS

4 ounces almond flour, 1 cup
      1/2 cup golden flax meal
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1/8 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
      1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda (see my comments below)
      1/2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
      1 teaspoon vanilla
      2 tablespoons heavy cream
      2 tablespoons water
      2 tablespoons butter, softened
      2 eggs
      1/2 cup tart apple, peeled, cored and shredded, 2 ounces *

In a medium bowl, stir together the almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and granular Splenda, if using. If you're using liquid Splenda, mix it in a custard dish with the extract, cream and water. Combine everything with the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until well blended. Fill 6 paper-lined muffin cups with the batter, dividing it evenly among them. Bake at 350º 15-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Remove from the pan and cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes 6 servings
      Can be frozen

* You'll need to buy one medium apple but will only use half of it. I used a Macintosh apple that weighed 5 3/4 ounces whole. Half of the apple weighed exactly 2 ounces once it was peeled and cored.

With granular Splenda:
      Per Serving: 211 Calories; 17g Fat; 6g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2.5g Dietary Fiber; 7.5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
      Per Serving: 195 Calories; 17g Fat; 6g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2.5g Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs

These are moist and very good. There is just enough apple to give them flavor but not enough to make the carbs per muffin too high. The only thing I might change is the amount of Splenda. I think they may be a little too sweet. I may try using just 3/4 cup next time. Click the photo to see a close-up.

APPLE-CINNAMON MUFFINS VARIATION

4 ounces almond flour, 1 cup
      1/2 cup golden flax meal
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1/8 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
      3/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
      1/2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
      1 teaspoon vanilla
      2 tablespoons heavy cream
      2 tablespoons water
      2 tablespoons butter, softened
      2 eggs
      3/4 cup tart apple, peeled, cored and shredded, 3 ounces

Prepare the same as the recipe above but use 3/4 of an apple instead of half. I also cut back a little on the Splenda. You may need to increase the baking time slightly due to the extra moisture from the apple. I had to bake mine 23 minutes. After tasting one, I think I will cut back the Splenda to just 1/2 cup next time.

With granular Splenda:
      Per Serving: 210 Calories; 17g Fat; 6g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
      Per Serving: 198 Calories; 17g Fat; 6g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

Apple-Cinnamon Muffins

• Niki's Raspberry Cream Muffins

I spotted this recipe on a blog I visit which I just had to share!

Oh this recipe looks really good, this recipe uses cream cheese too, I remember whenever I made poh muffins I'd use cream cheese and they would turn out so moist.

If you girls could satisfy my curiosity and try this recipe for me I would really appreciate it as I so want to make it but I can't yet. If you give it a go it might pay to freeze them straight away in case they are very moorish!

Niki's Raspberry Cream Muffins

Ingredients
      2oz raspberries (or other berries of your choice)
      1 cup almond flour
      1/4 cup flax seed meal
      4oz softened cream cheese
      1tsp baking powder
      1tbsp oil
      1/4 cup ricotta cheese
      1tsp vanilla extract
      2 eggs
      Sweetzfree (I used 25-30 drops) or Splenda to taste

Directions
      Pre heat oven to 425*
      Crush raspberries. Then mix all ingredients well in large mixing bowl. Once mixed, grease muffin tin.
      Distribute batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Bake at 425* for 10 minutes.

I tried it with butter and with cream cheese. It tastes best with butter

Number of Servings: 12

Nutritional Info

* Servings Per Recipe: 12
      * Amount Per Serving
      * Calories: 128.1

* Total Fat: 11.1 g
      * Cholesterol: 48.9 mg
      * Sodium: 81.6 mg
      * Total Carbs: 3.8 g
      * Dietary Fiber: 2.0 g
      * Protein: 4.8 g

2 NET CARBS!!!

She also has a pic for it on her blog: Oh 2 B Fit and I see she just made a youtube for it.

Enjoy :)

• Oh PS: check here for measurements and conversions and remember their cup measures are a little smaller then ours but you may have a set at home that use their measures to as I know I have bought both without realising.

• Re: Muffins

Hi Sherrie,
      Thanks for adding the recipe!!! I wanted to say they ARE very moist. I really liked that about them. I made them in the video with Strawberries and that was really good too. I put cream cheese frosting on them in the video, but that was a little much. They're GREAT plain, but if you want something on them butter is sooooo good. I hope everyone likes them :)
    • Hey Oh 2 B Fit :)

I can't have some of those ingredient atm as I am still breastfeeding my daughter but the moment shes off the boob I am going to make your muffins, they sound so nice!