Pinned A History on the forum and myself for the Newcomers!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Serena wrote:

Sherrie, thank you so much for your blog and the forum. Your blog posts, articles, and comments on the forum have been a help to me over several years. I appreciate your kind and balanced approach to LC and to running a forum. :)

Sherrie knows we all appreciate what she does :thumbsup:
    • Hello all. (Sorry, this is going to be a long introduction!)

This is my first post. I stumbled across this site after cruising the web looking for Australian based recipes and hints for following a low-carb eating plan.

I never thought I would ever find myself joining a diet forum ;) , but after enduring months of my wife not-so-subtly pointing out my growing middle-age belly I decided it was time to do something about it, particularly after a recent general medical checkup that highlighted just a hint of high cholesterol. As someone who is very active and keen on outdoor activities like week-long kayak touring, sailing and camping, I have always been trim and fit, but as I have gradually increased my age over recent years, I also have found myself getting a bit more sedentry. Not only so, but the more weight that I have put on, the more carbs I managed to get hooked on. A few snacks here, the odd chocolate bar there, and a more indulgent diet in general has finally come to a head. While not obese, I definitely became over weight, with a peak BMI of 28.4.

I don't want to continue on this track. I don't want to find myself with a reluctance to do the things I love to do because I lack the energy and physical endurance, and the very last thing I want is to contract diabetes, prostate cancer etc. etc.

So... I decided to start looking at diets. Oh boy. What a job!!

After starting to read some diet related info and getting confused and depressed at the infinite range of opinons about what is the best way to lose weight and get healthy, it was a coincidence that started my venture into the Low Carb dieting model. (I call it that because I am not actually following a particular diet as such, but I guess Atkins is about the closest to what I am doing).

I was listening to the cricket a couple of months back and caught an interview with Dr Bruckner, the team doctor and nutrition expert for the Aussie cricket team. As part of the interview he mentioned the outstanding results he has seen as many of the team have switched over to a low-carb-high-protein-high-fat diet. He also mentioned a book he encouraged the listeners to read. It was "How We Get Fat And What To Do About It" by Gary Taube.

Impressed by what I heard I decided to download the book to my Kobo and promptly devoured the book in a few days. The great thing about the book is that it isn't a thinly veiled marketing tool for a diet plan or corporation, but a thorough discussion of the history and science of diet, nutrition, and the disaster that is the modern Western diet and it's equally disastrous health consequences. In it, Gary Taube detailed the history of how the 'recommended diet' came be be and the disaster that the 'diet pyramid' is.

While not recommending a specific diet as such, he did detail the principles of a LCHP/HF diet, and the Atkins model as a good plan to follow to get started. He also mentioned some other similar but less known plans.

So, to cut a long story short, my wife and I made a decision to kick off the new year by commencing the Atkins program. That was 3 weeks ago, just after Christmas.

And the results so far? Well, both myself and my wife have lost kilos already. We haven't been super strict about keeping to 20g of carbs per day (particularly the first few days while on holidays) but we have kept fairly close to that, with just a few extras here and there. I guess I have averaged about 30-40g carbs per day, and my wife about 50 (she just couldn't give up her fresh fruit to keep herself regular!). I have dropped 3 kilos from 80 to 77 as of this morning, and my wife has lost about 2 kilos as well. We're both very happy with that, and want to keep up the new lifestyle. As an added incentive, we have a cruise booked for mid February and we want to lose about 5kg in total by then as a strong incentive.

What amazes me is that after the first few days, the cravings for carbs has dropped away dramatically. We aren't going to get ultra legalistic about having a bite or two of restricted things, but as a result of our 'study' we understand the reasoning and logic behind LCHP. We have also completly refurbished our pantry to make sure that we make low-carb the core of our weekly meal plan. As I do all the cooking at home, and I love being creative, I am having a ball finding new recipes and ingredients that can replace unhealthy ones.

And so far so good. As of this morning my BMI is 27.35, and both of us are looking forward to getting our 'old selves' back, only better :D . Looking forward to learning from you all here and having a community to share with as we continue on our new gastronomic journey.

Cheers,
      Steve.
    • Welcome Steve, looks like you're both doing great :)

You might find the carb counts pages handy for finding the lower carb fruits: Carbohydrate Counts

You might also want to check out the psyllium pancake recipe in the breakfast section.

Good luck :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • ChrisA wrote:

How are you and your wife going Steve ?

Hi Chris. We're going well. Today was a bit of a challenge. We attended a friend's 60th birthday party, and as you know, birthdays aren't LC friendly. We managed to get through stoicly with only a few bites of this and that outside of our LC food list. (We just couldn't refuse to have a little of his cake!)

Any way, we're both making good progress. I'm now 76.7kgs and that means over 4kgs lost in January! My wife is doing well too, but her weight loss has levelled out for the last few days. She has been on a weight-loss program longer than me, and overall she has lost over 5 kg in the last 3 months.

The only little concern for me is that I'm still getting that 'hollow stomach' feeling, which is not really too bad and bearable but still uncomfortable. Also, I am feeling light-headed a lot of the time. Particularly when I move about. I am thinking that perhaps I need some supplementation. Any suggestions?
    • Hi Steve - Firstly if it continues I would see your GP , just to get your blood pressure checked. make sure you are not cutting back too much on salt. . . . if your blood pressure is stable then it wont do any harm. We all need a bit extra Magnesium from time to time (do you get cramps or tics in your eyes at all ? )and sometimes a decent dose of electrolytes can help if you are head spinny.
      As far as the hollow belly goes - your stomach should shrink so to speak but my suggestion would be to eat smaller meals , more regularly.
      Sounds like you and your wife are really embracing a low carb lifestyle. We still have to "live" life and a bit of birthday cake wont do you any harm in the long term.
      Well done to you both and no need for me to say keep it up as it really will become second nature and a way of life.
      Cheers Chris - hoping that helps.
    • ChrisA wrote:

Hi Steve - Firstly if it continues I would see your GP , just to get your blood pressure checked. make sure you are not cutting back too much on salt. . . . if your blood pressure is stable then it wont do any harm. We all need a bit extra Magnesium from time to time (do you get cramps or tics in your eyes at all ? )and sometimes a decent dose of electrolytes can help if you are head spinny.
      As far as the hollow belly goes - your stomach should shrink so to speak but my suggestion would be to eat smaller meals , more regularly.
      Sounds like you and your wife are really embracing a low carb lifestyle. We still have to "live" life and a bit of birthday cake wont do you any harm in the long term.
      Well done to you both and no need for me to say keep it up as it really will become second nature and a way of life.
      Cheers Chris - hoping that helps.

Thanks Chris. I will monitor the light-headedness and see if it eases off. I know that my daughter who is on a Paleo diet says that coconut water is a good way to supplement electrolytes. It's a bit carby but not too bad in small quantities. I do drink a cup of boullion most days in the afternoon, and I don't shy away from adding a bit of salt here and there. I have thought about magnesium. Maybe I'll look for a good supplement. I did get a few ticks around my chest for awhile when I first started on LC, but that has subsided. I have read that some 'symptoms' of carb withdrawl can include light-headedness, so it might still be my brain restoring things to normal after a lifetime of sugar and carb addiction.
      Cheers,
      Steve.
    • Sherrie wrote:

If you've been following this for a month you should be picking up now, make sure you're eating enough!

Yes, I've added a few extras here and there. I have added a few extra veggies and a piece of fruit goes into our green smoothies of a morning now. I will have to work out how much extra I can add without derailing the weight loss though. We've been pretty strict on keeping to around 20g of carbs. Might be time to plan meals around 30-40g perhaps?
    • Worth a try especially if you're active. The way Akins does it is but raising it in 5 gram increments each week for example:

Week 1 and 2 = 20g
      Week 3 = 25g
      Week 4 = 30g

And so on..

Basically you keep going until you start to stall then go back 5g
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Sherrie wrote:

Worth a try especially if you're active. The way Akins does it is but raising it in 5 gram increments each week for example:

Week 1 and 2 = 20g
      Week 3 = 25g
      Week 4 = 30g

And so on..

Basically you keep going until you start to stall then go back 5g

I don't think I can be bothered with measuring my carbs quite so finely. I have only estimated my carb intake so far and it seems to me that it's about 20 plus or minus 5 or so. Anyway I have seemed to do ok with the weight loss, so I'll see how it goes with the addition of a bit here and there.
      Cheers.
    • Thanks for allowing me to be apart of your group.
      Im always looking for a healthy alternative, been doing the LCHF woe since Nov 2014 I've not lost heaps of weight but seem to be shrinking. I love everything about this woe.
      It will be good to follow other members for tips,and new recipes.

Thanks again ^^ Chilpy57
    • Hello, I once had great success with Atkins but ,stress from a divorce ,deaths , remarriage and a masters degree got in my way. I promised myself I would lose the weight when I finished and could find time to exercise . I was putting in about 80 hours a week between school and work. Dec 18th I finished my masters.
      I started yesterday. I don't have a scale. I know I am about 106 with a BMI of 41 . I know this by the way my clothes fit.
      I right now want the pressure off from the numbers. I have a pair of pants I want to measure my success by. I also have the ketone strips hat say I am in fat burning mode. I jokingly call this y sexy by summer campaign . I am from the USA in process of getting work permits and permanent residence for Canada.
      I was cruising the web because I need some good desert that is "legal" for phase one. The cheesecake recipe drew my attention, so here I am:) Looking forward to the LC journey with you guys.