Pinned A History on the forum and myself for the Newcomers!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• A History on the forum and myself for the Newcomers!

To avoid confusion on some things I thought I should write a little forum history and where we are today so newcomers understand more what is going on with this forum.

Okay firstly this forum used to belong to another site. The forum I believe began around late 2001 but the site had been going for longer. Anyway it was basically run by a husband and wife team who helped quite a few people with their diets for many reasons be it weightloss, body building, health etc... They also had a shop where they sold products to help with that including their own LC muffin and cereal mixes, best I ever tasted!
      Not only that, they made quite a few achievements of their own in regards to their weightloss and body composition goals so they certainly walked the talk...

Anyway sometime early 2002 I started doing LC on my own. A diet I had first come accross by the inside of a box which contained a yucky bottle of herbal stuff I bought and upon my researching online I came accross this site and started buying their products. Eventually I got the guts to register and post on their forums but I had to work myself up to it believe it or not! :p

This forum I might add was the only Australian one known to be online at that time apart from an older yahoo group. It was a great forum and such a relief to find an aussie one I gained immensly from this forum and wanted to give back...

Anyway yada, yada as I learn't more from researching and the sharing of others experiences I also shared mine and what I learn't along the way and at some point I was asked if I wanted to be a moderator. The board got quite busy and succesful, so they started concentrating on their bodybuilding one which was eventually much, much bigger again. Poor Rossana just got too busy and the first to go was the personalised diets as they are extremely time consuming. I remember helping Cazza out with one when some members suggested it and it took forever lol but not only that Rossana has to continuely revise and support these peoples diets. Plus she was running her forums and online shop and then she had her own personal goals, the poor girl must have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off! :eek:

Anyway eventually their presence on the board faded aswell as the other board was so succesful that it alone was getting too much so the board was kinda let go so to speak...

Somehow as a community we kept it alive and well through all of that and then in April last year our board was hacked, we survived or so we thought untill the following week we were hacked again and lost almost all of our content. An old webmaster Angus helped out and managed to restore some of the content but there was still a large amount he was never able to restore and so the board started to suffer. About a week later I gave birth so I was obviousely quite busy.

Anyway fast forward to the middle of last year Rossana decided to cease the online shops etc... so she could concentrate on spending some time on herself doing study etc and offerred me the board. To be honest it was quite overwhelming as I didn't know anything at all about having a website and was so busy with this baby who still feeds atleast every 2 hours yada yada but eventually I decided why not, I'd rather give it a go then lose such a great resource and online family!

After deciding on a web host etc... there was the matter of the forum being moved over. In the meantime whilst I was waiting, I started learning web stuff and worked on a home page etc for us, and then finally last weekend the forum was moved!

The forum was quite an old version so I had to do quite a big upgrade and luckily I didn't stuff it up! ;) And as you can see I'm quite proud of myself LOL :p

I have rearranged it a bit and added some new sections and renamed others etc... I have moved some posts around to more approriate places and ofcourse I am bound to do more moving as I find them. Our old low carb living section had quite alot of stuff in there even after the hack and I have a backup of that ready to go once I learn how to pull stuff out of a database and put into another.
      Some of our sections were emptied out completly by the hacker so if you see a section with just a few old posts, that and the fact I am moving some posts around is why.

There is also alot of links in posts to other posts that unfortunately don't change when the board is moved so I have to do them manually one by one. If you find one, please don't hesitate to let me know so I can fix it for you. There is a way you can look at them in the meantime which I will outline the method in the webserver issues forum in the incorrect links thread.

Anyway I plan to make more changes, add more content, write some articles (one that I have been writing for a while now) and blend this forum into my webpages. I have a gallery going aswell that you are quite welcome to use, you will find links to it in the webserver issues forum aswell as on my home page. This I will also work on blending with the site.

I am thinking I might put down some of our favourite recipes on the pages aswell amongst other things. I will also finish going through my bookmarks and update my links pages plus I will add to them as I find more and as any good ones are suggested.

So still lots left to do and more to add. I have a cool idea on what I will do with the site graphic wise, but I will leave that untill I have everything else sorted.

Any ideas feel free to suggest them they are more then welcome!

This site is purely independant, no products or services are being sold, we are all here because we want to be here.

I want this site to be all about the sharing of each others experiences and what we learn during our journeys, I believe we all have something someone else can learn from and we all have something we can learn from someone else here.

I don't want any displaying of egos, put downs and not taking peoples experiences seriously. As far as I am concerned scientific studies don't compare to peoples actual real life experience, there is no logical way I can see that a single study could do that. Mind you I certainly find them useful but I don't think of them as the be all and end all. We are all so different, what works for one person may not work for another for so many reasons.

This is why it is important to share as there maybe someone in a similar boat to you that could benefit even if not today but tommorrow...
      That is what I want this community to be about, helping eachother with our weightloss and/or health goals and people close to us.

I want this community to grow, the more the merrier. Please feel free to say hello and contribute, it is more then welcome and infact I encourage it!

The more we share and contribute the more we will all learn and grow!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Oh and how could I forget to introduce our great moderators! :eek:

Say hello to Luv2bslim and Melvan, they are a great pair and we love them dearly ;) but not in that way! :D
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Eventually I got the guts to register and post on their forums but I had to work myself up to it believe it or not!

You have certainly come a long way since then Sherrie..Not only posting and sharing your own experiences, you have helped a lot of people along the way, and even pulled us into gear when we needed it;) You have made the forum a nice place to come and visit, no pressure just encouragement..Three cheers for Sherrie HIP HIP HOORAH:)
      You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
      You grow old because you stop laughing.
    • Hehe this wasn't suppossed to be a compliment me thread, but I ain't complaining :p

Thankyou :)

I should fix up my punctuation in that big post but not yet :p

• Sherrie wrote:

Hehe this wasn't suppossed to be a compliment me thread, but I ain't complaining :p

:p

We know that Sherrie, but we wouldn't still be here without you.:)

By the way to any newbies reading this, Moonstruck (Moonie) and I were unfortunate to have lost our diaries to the miserable HACKER:rolleyes: which was sad as we had so much information that we lost.

We have all made such good friends through this site too, WA ers having many L/Carbers and we have all nearly met now and have shared lunches and Coffee's togethor. Luv2bslim has also met some of the QLDer's.:cool:

Its cool as we share other stuff that may be going on, not just our eating habits.:eek: :eek: :eek: I really love these new smilies LOL
    • By the way to any newbies reading this, Moonstruck (Moonie) and I were unfortunate to have lost our diaries to the miserable HACKER which was sad as we had so much information that we lost.

Yeah me too, that was my LC diary, my health diary and my pregnancy diary all gone :( You don't appreciate what you've got until its gone!

I have been nagging Andrew to check for backups but he didn't answer my last nag hehe

• Re: A History on the forum and myself for the Newcomers!

damsel wrote:

Annelies, I do that with NZ coins LOL !!
      Funnily enough our bank accepts them if they are correctly hidden in the coin bag.:o

My pet hate is the currency the bank won't accept because the tuckshop here is run by volunteers and the prices are so cheap that the profit on a lunch order can be immediately negated by a dodgy coin.:(