HELP - Saturated fats

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• HELP - Saturated fats

Just been sent a little book about Chitosan (fat absorbing fibre) which has me puzzled. Tried to find info on Atkins forum but it's too big. I'm sure this stuff works but I am concerned about the theories behind it. Author Tonita d'Raye writes;
      "...fat intake is not related to the use of body fat for energy production."
      So we agree so far, BUT THEN;
      "The body does not use saturated fats in way except to store them." !!!!
      I can't see how LC can work if this is the case. (But it does!)
      So, can someone more informed on the subject than myself please expand on the subject.
      She goes on to list all the dangers of excess dietary fat, of course.
      Not sure I want to read the rest of the book and get even more angry! I love my saturated fats.
      On a positive note, I recently heard that even LDL (so called "bad" cholesterol) is only doing it's job fixing a problem. It's habit of clinging to the arteries is apparently a band aid/repair job on blood vessels weakened and cracked by a nutritional deficiency. I don't imagine that fixing the deficiency and maybe the blood vessels will encourage the LDLs to let go and float down the blood stream again without some kind of cleansing, but maybe it's a another case of oversimplification like the commonly held dellusion that "fat thru the lips goes on the hips." LOL
      My 2 cents worth!

Tones
      Tones

You always tell others things you need to hear.
    • Is'nt Chitosan just stuff that holds onto the fat like fibre does with water to keep your body absorbing the fat you eat?.

If thats the case then your body won't get the fat it does need and once you stop taking it you will put it all back on again. It does nothing to teach you to maintain your weight unless you plan to take it for the rest of your life.
      I also wonder if it holds onto fat so well does it hold onto any of the good nutrients we eat aswell?.
      Anyway thats just my personal opinion on it without reading up on it. I'm sure Jesper and Rossanna will know some more.

You could try searching for information on a search engine.
    • OK, let's look at each piece here in isolation :D.
      "The body does not use saturated fats in way except to store them." !!!!

This depends on where the author comes from. In a high carb diet I agree this is probably true in most curcumstances. The body will normally use carbs in preference to fat. On a low carb diet this is of course untrue. As far as using fat for energy, the body doesn't care whether the fat is saturated or not.
      She goes on to list all the dangers of excess dietary fat, of course.

Again, this is true in the context of a high carb diet. Interestingly, it is VERY difficult to put on body fat a low carb diet even if excessive fat calories are consumed!
      I love my saturated fats.

We probably all do, but one thing I think the "traditional" nutrition has got right is that saturated fats are bad for us. Its similar in a way to the low-fat/high carb diet. Sugar is of course much worse for us than, let's say, sweet potatos. Saturated fats should be avoided as much as possible!
      Is'nt Chitosan just stuff that holds onto the fat like fibre does with water to keep your body absorbing the fat you eat?

Chitosan is a scam!!! This was introduced into the bodybuilding scene years ago and has been disproven in every serious research study.