low carb is the way to go!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: low carb is the way to go!

Originally posted by Rebecca
      was just surfing along smh.com.au and found this!
      some might find it interesting:

smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/30/1043804416912.html

Hey that's really great.

I was impressed until the last line though, when they said "Participants in the study ate 200g of lean red meat at evening meals and 100g of chicken or fish at lunch, as well as low fat dairy products, but included some carbohydrates like fruit and bread"

The problem with this statement is that ALL low fat dairy products that I have looked at, are high in carbs (relatively at least) and the fact that they look at low fat at all, means it is NOT the diet we are on. A high protein low fat diet is not not what is usually recommended around here.

Still, good to see some real and positive research happening.
    • It's a step in the right direction, but I find the media so frustrating- they are very fickle. Next week there will be 'evidence' that low carb eating causes cancer.

You hammer it into them for years then they act like it's the discovery of the century when something like this happens.

But as I said any good press for low carb eating is good- people who were peviously very sceptical of my WOE are now saying 'hey, there was a piece on the news last night about your diet', and they think that because it was on the news, it must be ok :rolleyes:
    • Hey Rubber Chook,

I know exactly what you mean. I have noticed lately that if I take my eye off the ball the level of saturated fat in my diet (as opposed to good fats) has been creeps up, mainly due to eating quite a bit more meat, eggs and dairy. (Yes I do only pick lean cuts of meat and trim all visible fat but as you said, if you take the fat out of the dairy, it ends up full of carbs).

I have been loving the increased intake of dairy products on this WOE as I have always been concerned about the low calcium intake on a low fat diet. Osteoporosis is not a genetic problem in my family but with the level of exercise I do I find that I get severe leg cramps without the calcium and I hate taking supplements (many of them aren't that bio-available anyway).

And once you find a dairy product that is low fat AND low carb, I find that they start tasting pretty bloody ordinary!

But it is great to see some positive media attention at last (even though their definition of "low carb" is more like "moderate carb").

One of my well-meaning friends that extolls the virtues of a rather well known range of highly priced "supplements" faxed me a piece of their "propaganda" the other day with an article "Low Carbohydrate - seems good, but is not".

In the article the author claims that low carb diets can trigger "an extreme, possibly dangerous imbalance. Your body will lose weight (not always fat). However your metabolism then slows, trying to rebalance itself."

It goes on to claim that without healthy carbohydrates your body will start to catabolise itself. And of course the usual histrionics regarding ketosis. But what do you expect from a company that sells pills that are in the main part pure carbohydrate?

Good to see the CSIRO lending a bit of credibility. A similar article appeared in the Courier Mail today (page 5) with a bit more info on the same study. The 2 diets were:
      1) prot 34%, fat 20%, carb 46%
      2) prot 17%, fat 20%, carb 63%
      No mention of total calories but I assume for the integrity of the study that the total calorific value would have been the same.

Sanuk
    • I heard on the radio this morning that the CSIRO has said that the low carb diet does work because the people on it are eating more meat which keeps hunger at bay!!
      LOL
      The only time I get hungry is when I eat excess carbs!!

I've been eating low fat cheese, just the no name brand and it tastes fine and has similar carbs to normal fat cheese.... check it out.
      Goal: 65kg
    • Originally posted by annah
      I heard on the radio this morning that the CSIRO has said that the low carb diet does work because the people on it are eating more meat which keeps hunger at bay!!
      LOL
      The only time I get hungry is when I eat excess carbs!!

I've been eating low fat cheese, just the no name brand and it tastes fine and has similar carbs to normal fat cheese.... check it out.

On the subject of fat, I thought that the fats in cheese (for example) were OK, so why bother with low fat cheese?

In fact I thought that the only real worry was trans fats. Is the phobia about saturated fats just a hangover from what we have been told in the past?