Guar gum

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• I was wondering if anyone out there has any information on guar gum.

I have heard xanthan gum being recommended as a thickener, but guar gum is heaps cheaper and I find it good to mix with soy sauce, herbs and garlic to make a nice thick marinade for chicken. I'm sure it has other uses too but I haven't experimented yet.

Would anyone have a carb count for it? (not listed on dietclub)
      Also, does anyone know what is the difference between xanthan gum and guar gum?
    • This info might help - a site to look at gumtech.com/learn.html

Natural Additives:

A food additive is any substance added to a food product, either directly or indirectly, that affects its product characteristics. Food additives play an important role because they help maintain product consistency, palatability and wholesomeness, improve or maintain nutritional value, and enhance or maintain the flavor of food products.

Produced from the fermentation of corn sugar, xanthan gum is used as a thickener, emulsifier in dairy product and dressings (it is a water-soluble polymer).

Guar Gum is derived from the ground endosperm of the guar plant (maceration of the seeds of the guar plant).

Guar Gum is a natural high molecular weight hydrocolloidal polysaccharide composed of galactan and mannan units combined through glycosidic linkages, (galactomanan)
      Dissolved in cold or hot water, guar gum forms a slime of high viscosity.

Guar Gum is generally used as an excellent and reasonable thickener and stabilizer in many aqueous systems.
    • Thanks for that link Oggi, it was very interesting. Also it said:

Nutritionally Speaking
      Not a lot to speak about. Gums are a great source of dietary fiber and as such offer little else than fiber. It is for this reason that gums are used extensively in diet control foods. There is no real caloric value to gums.

So it sound like there would be no problem with guar gum carb wise.

Sherrie, my marinade did taste a little bit bitter (although still quite nice), I thought maybe it just needed some stevia or something in it. But it could be the guar gum, I'll have to get some of the xanthan gum too and compare the taste.
    • Thanks for that link Oggi, it was very interesting. Also it said:

Nutritionally Speaking
      Not a lot to speak about. Gums are a great source of dietary fiber and as such offer little else than fiber. It is for this reason that gums are used extensively in diet control foods. There is no real caloric value to gums.

So it sound like there would be no problem with guar gum carb wise.

Sherrie, my marinade did taste a little bit bitter (although still quite nice), I thought maybe it just needed some stevia or something in it. But it could be the guar gum, I'll have to get some of the xanthan gum too and compare the taste
    • I mentioned guar gum a while back when some one was having a poop problem or should I say lack of it.

Benefibre is guar gum and it is like metamucil, at one stage this was the only thing that would get me going but anyway as far as the carb count goes I do remember from the pack that there was not much in it. Now whether this goes back to the dietery fibre thing, I don't know.

If you where to use it as a thickener and it is used as a laxative doesn't that create a bit of a problem?:p