cococut oil

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Thanks for that Sam. I bought some coconut oil a couple of months ago and was having about a tblspn every morning in warm water and a bit of cream. I ran out and haven't bought any more. I was wondering if it matters whether it is organic or not or if any brand is better than another. Also I would love some ideas on how to get it down. I don't really mind the taste, it's the texture that turns me. I found I felt better and my skin was good when I was taking it. I stopped the flaxseed oil when I was taking the coconut oil and now I've run out of coconut oil I'm back on the flax. Do you take both?

Thanks
      Belle

Start date: 19.01.04
      Start weight: 70kg
      Current weight: 66kg
      Goal weight: 55kg
      Time frame: Xmas 2004 (or much sooner if possible!)
    • Hi Belle
      I fry in it now. I put it in my soup, stews, shakes, and cereal. It is not so good in salad unless you eat it right away as it goes hard again and does not look right.
      I put some on the avocado with the tuna just heat it slightly so it is runny.
      Have you tried Maca root. Sam put me on to it.
      I think coconut oil and maca is having an effect on my weight losses as I have started losing again.
      Hope this helps you.
      Delia

If it is to be it is up to me
    • Thanks Delia, I think I just have to get used to the idea of using it instead of olive oil etc. Where do you get maca root? Is it an oil as well?
      Belle

Start date: 19.01.04
      Start weight: 70kg
      Current weight: 66kg
      Goal weight: 55kg
      Time frame: Xmas 2004 (or much sooner if possible!)
    • i started the fracas about maca root, so here is what i have:

i mentioned this stuff on another thread in relation to thyroid issues. the more i read about this stuff the more i am beginning to wonder if i might have a slightly underactive thyroid. anyway, i found on another forum a thread about Maca root, how hypothyroid sufferers were using it to help balance their hormones:
      "This root is reported to help the whole endocrine system including the thyroid and can rebalance the estrogen dominance that often accompanies hypothyroidism and overweight problems. It has no phytoestrogens, but women are using it to alleviate menopause symptoms with apparently amazing success. The root works on the hypothalmus and pituitary glands to regulate the whole endocrine system, which has a very delicate balancing act to perform. There is no danger of too much hormone or hormone imbalance, because you are not taking a hormone replacement, you are stimulating the body's own natural production of hormones in a natural way."
      Everything I have since read then backs this up. there have been people who have been able to reduce their thyroid medication as well. it is adaptogenic, meaning that it will work on the body according to needs, age and gender of the person taking it - allowing males and females of all ages to benefit from taking it regularly. It is also a natural aphrodisiac!!!
      now, i found some at my local health food shop but it was in capsules. this root is actually a food, so it should only be sold in powder form. it should be certified organic and non irridated. the maca root i found was also touted as Lepidium peruvianum, or Lepidium peruvianum Chacon which is supposed to be better than Lepidium meyenii (the original name) because it has 4 essential alkaloids that Lepidium meyenii does not, is not true.

macapower.net/order.html
      qnop.com.au/Maca.htm
      ahealthya.com/

before anyone makes a lot of cracks about the aphrodisiac qualities, this is a food product so the suppliers are restricted by FDA laws so they can say it cures this or that. they can tell you what other people have said. i've got some more info on maca hang about it and i'll get it.
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home