My Muesli

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• I just realised I should post my muesli recipe here, it is really, really yummy!

This makes a really big batch!

I buy as much ingredients as I can from the HF/organic store or even better local, the quality is so much better and cheaper.
      Sesame seeds are a big example of this do a price compare between buying a little pack in a supermarket compared to buying a big scoop of them in a HF store!
      I am also a bit picky about where unorganic stuff I buy comes from, US seems to like genetically modifying everything and china, well I'm sure you remember that on the news about them fertilising with their own sewage!

Other nuts like macadamias would also be good in this.

Sherrie's Yummy Muesli

9 cups of rolled oats
      200g almonds
      200g hazelnuts
      200g pecans
      1/2 cup sesame seeds
      Dessicated organic coconut (sorry I havn't been measuring this one, I really want to used those big shaved bits but havn't found any yet)
      1/2-1tsp cinnamon (I forget this and the salt half the time hehe)
      pinch of salt
      1/3 cup sunflower seeds (I keep meaning to try adding other seeds to but keep forgetting)
      1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
      3/4-1 cup of honey (please don't buy supermarket honey it doesn't do it justice)
      dab of butter

Method:

Melt butter, coconut and honey gently over stove, take off heat and add cinnamon and salt.

Preheat oven to 160-180c depending on how big a rush you're in :)

Roughly chop nuts, 200g at a time in food processor. I like them really rough and chunky. Add all dry ingredients to a big bowl and mix in then add coconut/honey and mix in untill all combined.

Taste it, yumm then you will probably keep tasting it untill its all done and put away ;)

Get out a roasting tray and toast the muesli in batches. I usually do it in two big batches and just give it a big stir and put back in the oven a few times. Now I have found don't over toast it, the more it dries the less of the yummy sweetness there is so don't let it dry out at all. Sometimes I over toast the first batch by accident because I am busy with Maya so then I under toast the second batch and that makes up for it. Ofcourse its better done in smaller batches, I just find it is impossible for me at the moment.

When the muesli comes out of the oven put it in a big metal pot or bowl to cool down (please don't risk ruining the goodness by putting it in a plastic container while its hot) and come and give it a big stir every now and again. This is important otherwise it will all stick together and harden like a brick(my first attempt!). But if you stir it every now and again untill it is cooled it won't happen.

I can guarantee you will find yourself snacking on it every time you stir it :D

Once all cooled chuck it in a container with a 1/3 or 1/2 cup measure and viola!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Sherrie, how many carbs in about 1/3 serve? Good recipe for the kids and me if not too many carbs. What do you put on it - cream? If you got a chance, how long would you soak the oats, nuts and seeds?
      I soaked some almonds and pecans and then roasted them. I think I put them in the container too soon as they were going mouldy. Had to chuck out heaps.
    • I have no idea about carbs, but I will find out. I still havn't soaked them lol, keep leaving it to the last minute. I reckon it will be in the eat fat lose fat book I have.

I plan on buying the nourishing traditions book by Sally Fallon shortly, she goes into all that sort of stuff plus I am hoping she will have good ideas for Maya.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Okay in this book they have a crispy nut recipe. With this recipe they soak the nuts which include almonds and pecans for 8 hrs, what they do is chuck 4 cups worth of nuts in a bowl with 1 tablesppon of salt. cover with filtered water, then cover the bowl loosely and leave it to soak. No idea if the same applys to hazlenuts, they do warn not to soak cashews longer then 6 hours.

With an oatmeal recipe they have they soak one cup of rolled oats with 1 cup of warm water and either 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, vinegar, yoghurt or whey. then cover and leave to soak overnight at room temperature.

I had a much better method then this I thought it was in the book but obviousely I saw it somewhere else, oh dear LOL :confused:

I just add a splash of milk to mine but snez this won't be low carb!

• Okay snez I can't tell you the carb count because I don't know the volume of the nuts so what I did to give you an idea is worked out a 1/3 serve of the oats and honey. To do this I used 1 cup of honey which I doubt you would use but I figured it would be safer that way. Remember when all the lower carb stuff is added there will be less honey and oats in a 1/3 cup serve plus who knows what changes from toasting like volume and evaporation etc

But anyway 1/3 cup of uncooked honey and oats on their own equals 26g carbs.

• I swapped pecans for macadamias this time. I tried some macadamias on their own but didn't really like them but the muesli turned out good thankfully!