10 carb PER LOAF bread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• 10 carb PER LOAF bread

Here is a bread recipe I found on another forum (active low carbers). It is absolutely gorgeous and I had boiled eggs with TOAST at the weekend.

I initially only bought enough of the fibre mix ingredients (see end of recipe) to try it - I got 1/4 each of the amount he specifies. I got all the ingredients from my Go-Vita health food store where they are stocked in bulk. Once I make one I'll add a picture here and some comments (sorry, it got eaten real quick). I've had to beat Warwick off with a stick because I gave him a slice to try and he loves it!

MY BREAD SUBSTITUTE
      It looks like a bread, it tastes like a bread and I use it as a bread...Over the last six months I have refined the recipe to the point where it now forms the base of my LC foods...It's quick to make,(5 minutes to mix, 40 minutes to cook, 2 minutes to clean up and two days to eat), it's very filling and it's LOW CARB...You can toast it, you can make sandwiches with it, sliced thin you can use it as a pizza base...If you did it with HC bread you can do it with this and not feel guilty.

Said it measured up at 10 carbs per loaf.

Ingredients
      2 cups Fibre Mix (see note 1)
      1 tb/s Baking Powder (Odille's note - I will use 2 mext time)
      1 tb/s bread improver (Odille's addition)
      1 t/s Salt
      ½ cup Grated Cheese (Dry mix these 4 ingredients)

2 Eggs
      1 tb/s Oil (I use flaxseed oil, canola or olive oil is ok)
      1 cup Water
      ¼ cup Cream

Mix well and put into non stick 220mmX110mm meatloaf tin (I line mine with baking paper). Cook in preheated oven at 190deg for 40-45 minutes...Turn out to cool on wire rack.
      (Odille's note: I cooked it in a bread machine on the 'non-yeast' setting. It took 1 1/2 hours all up and was absolutely trouble free.)

ENJOY...I store mine in a paper towel lined plastic container in the fridge...Sliced about 7mm to 8mm thick, it holds together well because of the cheese...This recipe will keep you regular too which is a problem when low carbing.

Note 1

For the fibre mix I use
      2kg LSA (linseed, sunflower & almond, equal portions, ground)
      1kg Psyllium Husks
      ½kg Whey Protein Concentrate (I use WP Isolate if $'s permit)

I premix and store the above ingredients in a large plastic container and is enough for about 10 loaves.
      Odille -
      following Primal Lifestyle

Low fat is so last century!
    • Re: 10 carb PER LOAF bread

I'm going to give this a go - I've never made bread before so what's a bread improver and where can I get it??

Also - the other link to this recipe says it's 109 carbs per loaf - is that right??? "Said it measured up at 109 carbs per loaf." or should that be 10.9. LOL. Just have to check!!!
      "Looking back..it never took that long"
      Me

???

MY BREAD SUBSTITUTE
      It looks like a bread, it tastes like a bread and I use it as a bread...Over the last six months I have refined the recipe to the point where it now forms the base of my LC foods...It's quick to make,(5 minutes to mix, 40 minutes to cook, 2 minutes to clean up and two days to eat), it's very filling and it's LOW CARB...You can toast it, you can make sandwiches with it, sliced thin you can use it as a pizza base...If you did it with HC bread you can do it with this and not feel guilty.

Said it measured up at 109 carbs per loaf.

Ingredients
      2 cups Fibre Mix (see note 1)
      1 tb/s Baking Powder
      1 t/s Salt
      ½ cup Grated Cheese (Dry mix these 4 ingredients)

2 Eggs
      1 tb/s Oil (I use flaxseed oil, canola or olive oil is ok)
      1 cup Water
      ¼ cup Cream

I don't think there'd be 109gms fiber would there??? I was just thinking it was a typo.
      Gen
      "Looking back..it never took that long"
      Me

*gez* wrote:

I'm going to give this a go - I've never made bread before so what's a bread improver and where can I get it??

Bread improver seems to be for strengthening/softening gluten and activating yeast. As there’s neither of these ingredients in this recipe it’s probably not necessary.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_improver
    • Welcome @ncredbird :)

This is a really old recipe and all of the old thread subscriptions from when I changed forum software last year would be lost so she won't get a notification that you replied. But I had a read and I am pretty sure I know what the answer is.

The 2 kg would be the total weight for the LSA which you can buy pre mixed which I'm thinking is what she did. You can go to health food shops and buy LSA in bulk and just scoop up the amount you need. But to make LSA yourself it generally is equal volume amounts of Linseed/flaxseed meal, Sunflower seed meal, and almond meal, so you could make your own LSA then weigh out 2 kg to make your own fibre mix. You could try and see if a cup weighs the same first for each ingredient and if it does then just weigh out 667 grams for each ingredient and combine.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Thanks Sherrie, I am from the US and have never seen LSA for sale here so will have to make my own to try this recipe. I have everything in the pantry and will simply weigh my ingredients and add them in the proper ratios. Thanks for the response!

The post was edited 1 time, last by ncredbird ().

• You're welcome :)

I've never played much with bread recipes as I'm not a bread eater but years and years ago I used to make cereal, pancakes and muffins etc using a mix that contained flaxseed/linseed, WPI, coconut and psyllium husks and they would turn out pretty good so the bread should work.

Good luck :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.