Pinned Low Carb Products we find in Australia

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Products we find in Australia

We used to have a "low-carb products" thread going with numerous pages about low carb shopping products that we would find over the years in our local supermarkets. It was especially important in the beginning (2002) as there were very little low carb foods around to shop for back then, with no low carb shops to be found not that they're necessary.

I remember, this was a really handy thread with lots of information. As we all know, I've changed a lot over the last few years and I am not very keen on any proccessed stuff anymore and wish to go organic whenever possible - but not everyone is like that. I think of it as more of a gradual change that people make after being on low carb for a while. Though I still stand on the first 2 weeks of Atkins induction being without the low carb products, is really important.

Of course not all packaged products are that bad and some are quite good and just basic ingredients, so hopefully this thread will help find the good ones.

I do want to say, diet or low fat doesn't mean something is low carb and in fact diet or low fat usually mean more sugars are added... Products that say low-carb, aren't always that low in carbohydrates plus not only that, a lot of low carb stuff have undesirable ingredients or contain so much sugar alcohols that you spend the rest of the day on the loo!

Making things from scratch, rather then out of "packets" causes us to think more about what we put in our mouths, as well as to plan and prepare and thus appreciate it that much more. Usually tastes better too!

If its too easy, then we are more likely to eat more and more often!

Always check their labels and look out for things like 282, msg, aspartame and soy for a start as these are a big no, no. If you look at a label and see many assorted numbers in my opinion avoid them or at least look them up here and decide for yourself. Now I know some numbers are just an easier way of declaring harmless things but I figure if a label has heaps of them they are probably hiding something! But that's just my opinion :)

I do plan on writing more about this soon but for now here's some links to threads we have going on soy etc

Artificial sweeteners and other food additives

Sugar Alcohol Syndrome

Assorted threads on 282, msg, aspartame, soy etc in this section:
      Health
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Now first off I thought the first one should be to give a particular person a plug. Simply because she has been a huge contributor to this community since march 2002, now thats a long time!

But also because not once has she ever given herself a plug infact I only found out because I came across her site in a google search and if I remember right I even had to nag her to get her to put her url in her profile!!!

She is the most nicest, sincere, respectful and ungreedy person I know. She never tells people about her shop and always encourages people to buy from other places. Not once has she ever used this site as a platform to plug her own, not once!

She is not someone who is trying to make a living off low carb so will always be honest with you. The reason she even sells low carb stuff is because her and her husband own a roadhouse in a country town in WA. So, because she was low carbing herself, she started stocking some low carb lines to share with the locals there, and because of this offers them for sale to anyone by mail order.

Anyway that's enough history, this mysterious person I speak of is MOONIE (aka moonstruck) and here is her url :)

*Moonies low carb shop no longer exists*

The belgium blue chocolate and goliath protein are really nice.
      If I remember right she also used to sell a baking mix and brownie mix that didn't contain soy but I couldn't see it there?

PS: I should point out she does sell a couple of things that contain soy and I know one (wraps) contain 282 as well. :p
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: broken link ().

• Wow, Moonstruck!

WTG! That's a labour of love!

In regards to products - I am like you Sherrie, trying not to have so many.

I like the Well Naturally chocolate bars.

But I must say that I have gone through the past couple of weeks being quite addicted to them :(

I am finding my candida is having more of an impact that I realised! :eek:
    • There are alot of things that can effect candida, even mushrooms should be avoided untill you nip those little suckers in the bud!
      Basically on top of the obvious like carbs and yeasts you also have to avoid anything that can contain mold, like aged cheeses, nuts, strawberries, mushrooms etc

They would be having a frenzy on the sugar alcohols!

With the well naturally bars there is one (mint flavour) that contains mint chips, the mints chips contained something undesirable if I remember right, maybe aspartame, I have forgotton.

• Thanks for those nice words Sherrie..The brownie mix and baking mix you mentioned, I can't get anymore..I don't know if they can be purchased anywhere else..The place that was importing them has gone belly up...

I haven't updated for awhile so I hope after you giving me that plug that all the links work..

It's amazing the places that I was mailing goods too, there was one lady in Canberra that ordered a lot of the baking mix you spoke of, and I even had some one from out of Australia, but found them somewhere else to get what they wanted closer to home...I was going to cost to much to get it through customs etc..Of course when I started selling mail order hardly anyone sold low carb, but there are heaps of places now...
      You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
      You grow old because you stop laughing.
    • Oh bugger I should have bought the brownie mix when I first saw it, I kept meaning to then I found out I was pregnant so thought I'd try it some other time. Not that I'm a brownie fan LOL but it looked good at the time for little sugar deprived me haha

Mind you these italians that have this organic stall with all these goodies they make from everything they grow at a nearby market. I see them for lunch almost every sunday :p they sell some brownies and I finally tried one last Sunday, OMG is she a good cook! I'll have to avoid that market once I start trying to lose weight again! :p

• With the well naturally bars there is one (mint flavour) that contains mint chips, the mints chips contained something undesirable if I remember right, maybe aspartame, I have forgotton.
      Haven't been able to get them for ages..I liked the chewy cherry but my supplier hasn't had them for a while.probably just as well, as I ate more than I sold, HaHa).I don't keep the am/pm bars either as coles have them, so do woolies I think...I still have them up there as I can order them in...
    • youcan buy them direct from the company and save money and there's a new milk choc one out too
      That would explain why the suppliers don't have them anymore..They won't handle anything the wholesalers sell direct to the public, unless it is at the RRP...
    • I used to love goliath bars especially choc mint. But they did effect ketosis for me however I still lost weight and they never gave me gas etc

Then later on I noticed they contain soy so I havn't had them since. Their choc mint protein powder is really nice too, if you need to be strict and have a shake mixed with water only but can't find one you like this is the one to get!

• Speaking of chocolate I have a good one for the Adelaideans courtesy of one of the girls on the lowcarboz yahoo group:

chocolateworld.com.au carries the Michel Cluizel 99% cocoa chocolate!

• Shiritaki noodles etc...

Another lady on the list found a website where you can buy yam flour: shieldandspear.com.au/africaningredients.html

Oh and also the other month another lady told me there is a japanese supermarket in chinatown(adelaide) on the right hand side where the central market is to the left and it sells the noodles in the fridge section.

Available online here also : Shirataki Noodles and Rice! (Miracle Noodles)

• Last week I got a surprise package from Well Naturally. It contained 1 bar of the almod chip milk chocolate, one blackberry fruit bar ( too high in carbs for me ) and the yummiest orange dark chocolate I have ever tasted. I haven't seen it in the shops yet and as you said the HF shops don't really stock it as the manufacturers can sell direct. I am tempted to buy a dozen bars from WN as they are cheaper including postage than in the shops.