The Truth About Asthma

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Wow Sherrie thanks for that!

My obesity and carb sensitivety began with the treatment of my asthma with corticosteroids.

Prednisone did such damage to my health! :(

You know the doctors have always, always, always been treatment orientated my whole life.

This has really got me thinking.

Gah! So much science to learn!
    • Oh that prednisone is a horror weight wise isn't it, and from what I have seen the weight you gain from it is alot harder to lose. Moonie was maintaining well for ages untill she had to take them and she started putting some back on and has had a hard time getting rid of it.

You and Garry have so much in common with some things, he had bad childhood asthma as well and was admitted to hospital and put in a bubble so to speak. I have no idea if he was on steriods but I assume so. Now he doesn't have asthma anymore but since he was a teen he has had rash problems which I think is eczema. He is lucky in that he didn't become really obese especially considering the crap he ate at home due to a large family and they were very food obsessed. Although he has been quite overweight in adulthood but not childhood so maybe he didn't have the prednisone. He puts on weight easily too and its in his family as well so I don't think its because he is someone thats naturally slim or anything?

My mum has asthma (from smoking) and she put on alot of weight from the steriods. I had her with me for a while because she kept having bad asthma attacks when she was in Blanchetown by herself. Despite all the rubbish she ate with my dinners, cheesecake and she was taking apple cidar vinegar she lost heaps of weight and was getting quite skinny but shes started putting it on since I moved over here. Of course because shes by herself shes hardly ever eating the good stuff like meat!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Sherrie,

Guess what I found out about Prednisone, it's a Glucocorticoid
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucocorticoid

The name glucocorticoid derives from early observations that these hormones were involved in glucose metabolism. In the fasted state, cortisol stimulates several processes that collectively serve to increase and maintain normal concentrations of glucose in blood. These effects include:

Stimulation of gluconeogenesis, particularly in the liver: This pathway results in the synthesis of glucose from non-hexose substrates such as amino acids and lipids and is particularly important in carnivores and certain herbivores. Enhancing the expression of enzymes involved in gluconeogenesis is probably the best known metabolic function of glucocorticoids.
      Mobilization of amino acids from extrahepatic tissues: These serve as substrates for gluconeogenesis.
      Inhibition of glucose uptake in muscle and adipose tissue: A mechanism to conserve glucose.
      Stimulation of fat breakdown in adipose tissue: The fatty acids released by lipolysis are used for production of energy in tissues like muscle, and the released glycerol provide another substrate for gluconeogenesis.
      Glucocorticoids have potent anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive properties. This is particularly evident when they administered at pharmacologic doses, but also is important in normal immune responses. As a consequence, glucocorticoids are widely used as drugs to treat inflammatory conditions such as arthritis or dermatitis, and as adjunction therapy for conditions such as autoimmune diseases.

Glucocorticoids have multiple effects on fetal development. An important example is their role in promoting maturation of the lung and production of the surfactant necessary for extrauterine lung function. Mice with homozygous disruptions in the corticotropin-releasing hormone gene (see below) die at birth due to pulmonary immaturity.

Excessive glucocorticoid levels resulting from administration as a drug or hyperadrenocorticism have effects on many systems. Some examples include inhibition of bone formation, suppression of calcium absorption (both of which can lead to osteoporosis), delayed wound healing, muscle weakness and increased risk of infection. These observations suggest a multitude of less dramatic physiologic roles for glucocorticoids.

I always knew that the doctors made me obese, and now I have the proof.

I wish I was a Terminator robot, I'd go back in time and it would be 'asta la vista baby' to those doctors and medical professionals!

f***ers!
    • Oh it was definately the drugs that started this whole mess for you, I remember saying that to you somewhere before.

Of course for some its the lesser of two evils, take Snezs' son for instance.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• What really angers me is the way I was treated, and in fact they way I was taught to think about myself, was that I caused this problem.

Heck people don't even have to say anything, it's in their eyes, and the way they treat you.

We all live on this planet together, and these doctors can't use as as their test tube subjects!
    • Before when I gained weight I did cause it but when I regained a stack (over 25kg) during pregnancy I didn't.

Within 6 weeks of falling pregnant my ligaments had loosened so much that after doing a few hours of weeding I did my lower back and hips in and was in pain all the time and had to be really careful of injurying myself which of course got worse as I gained weight.

By the 3 month mark of my pregnancy I had sleep apnea. I'd have so much trouble getting to sleep because of the pain when I finally did the sleep apnea would wake me up which of course got worse as I gained weight as well.

When desperately trying to talk to my new female doctor (whom I thought would be much more understanding) about it I was brushed of as someone who was eating too much without her even asking what my diet was, in fact she seemed somewhat amused by it all :eek:

Now that never made me obese like you were but I still was treated like I was some mad desperate craving preggo woman eating herself fat when truth be told I was probably not eating enough!

Obviousely something else was going on sending my hormones berserk but what do I know I'm just some fat preggo woman who can't stop eating :rolleyes:

• Re: The Truth About Asthma

OMG.

I'm currently taking Symbicort, the main ingredient being budesonide (glucocorticoid).

I can't help but wonder whether this is massively contributing to my weight gain and I'm unsure what exactly I'm supposed to be doing about it.

I know if I don't keep taking it, I risk having an asthma attack and if I do, I'll be obese for the rest of my life, possibly.

Problem is, I've been an asthmatic since I was 3 and it runs in the family...I don't think I'm one of the "fortunate" ones where my condition is caused by my lifestyle choices. Even if I DID lose weight, I would still have the condition.

Do ALL asthma medicines contain the glucocorticoids? I read the article that Sherrie posted and this guy talks about sanitizing my intestines....but how on earth do I do that? LOL Short of giving myself an instestinal "enema", is there a more effective way of cleansing my insides?

Am I just wasting my time and effort with Bodytrim and LC? :(
      Starting over!

Using mini goals:

1st Goal: 140.0 kg

[IMG:http://swlf.lilyslim.com/N9CDp11.png]

"A diet is the penalty we pay for exceeding the feed limit".

"If hunger is not the problem, then eating is NOT the solution".

Naturopathic Asthma Home Remedies
      Naturopathic asthma home remedies:
      For possible causes of asthma, naturopaths look at diet (is it mainly refined and processed food?, are there allergies to dairy products, which are mucous forming?), environmental pollution, sensitivity to food additives like the phenolic compound coumarin, and possible vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

Emotional and physical stress (caused by a devitalised diet, or medications such as cortisone creams that weaken the body's vitality) are also factors.

Emotional energy blocked up in the chest could also be playing a role in asthma, according to naturopaths. Naturopathic asthma home remedies seek to address these possible causes with the following:

diet - reduce dairy products or eliminate entirely. Consider finding whether there are any sensitivities to food additives.
      colloidal iron phosphate and potassium chloride
      vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin B12
      cod liver oil can help calcium absorb
      bio flavanoids combined with vitamin C
      potassium phosphate and vitamin B complex
      Herbs such as red clover, horehound, euphorbia, marshmallow, liquorice and elderblossom that work on the lungs and the lymphatic system

I found this on vitaminstohealth.com/asthma-home-remedies.html
      Starting over!

Using mini goals:

I have been given methylprednisolone injections for the past 5 years for pain relief and to act as a anti inflammatory. I have always maintained that they contributed to my weight gain and also to the depression.
      It is only recently that I have decided to go cold turkey so to speak and stop alot of my meds and start LCing, positive stuff, and really trying to turn things around.
      My neurosurgeon told me that in can take up to 2 years plus
      to get the methylprednisolone out of my system.
      So what sort of damage and how long is it staying in people who has asthma's systems for!

Hi Phoenix,

Its a Catch 22 isn't it?

I can't lose weight because of the meds I take for asthma, yet I can't stop taking them otherwise I'll die!

To be fat or to be dead - that is the question. And frankly, they're both the same IMO.
      Starting over!

Using mini goals:

The post was edited 1 time, last by MelbGirl08: Added more comment ().

No No melbgirl,

It is so unfair I know, but your life is so precious and in all honestly if people cant take you for who you are , then its their problem.

Asthma is truly an insipid disease and I wouldn't wish it on to my worst enemy, and how depressing it must be for you , I cant imagine.

But loose weight you will,
      Like me it will probably be a long time in happening but it will happened.:)
      we are both lucky to find a site like this that has so many honest supporting souls on it.

Have a fantastic day.

Cheers
      phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, you're a gem :)

I've made an appointment with a naturopath next week. I'll go in and see if I can be given some natural medicine/herbal stuff so that I may wean myself slowly off the steroids. Obviously, I'll still have the Ventolin on hand in case of an emergency, but I'm hoping that it will never get to that stage.
      Starting over!

Using mini goals:

Hey Melbgirl do you avoid food additives? so many of them are a huge problem for asthmatics but most don't realise it.

To be honest, I'm not as pedantic about them as I should be. Mainly because I'm not sure what to look for. I do avoid most artificial flavours, etc and try and stick to healthier foods but I'm going to read up on the preservatives/additives that can trigger my attacks.

I can see my shopping list decreasing as we speak! :)
      Starting over!

Using mini goals:

I have a book called Additive Alert.

Here's a little list in the Appendix section of additives that are linked to asthma.

102 104 110 120 122 123 124 127 129 131 132 133 142 151 155 160b 163
      200 201 202 203 210 211 212 213 216 220 221 222 223 224 225 228 249 250 251 252 280 281 282 283
      310 311 312 319 320 321
      407 407a
      620 621 622 623 624 625 627 631 635
      928 951
      1403 1404

OMG! LOL

That's a MASSIVE list! Thank you very much for putting that up.

I've also read that good digestive health is important and I should cleanse my insides of any irritants, etc. I bought this herbal cleansing tonic called CleanseU by Pinot over the net which helps detox the digestive system and all that.

Now I have to get started on that additives list!
      Starting over!

Using mini goals: