Dieting Danger: Female Athletes Limiting Calories More Likely To Get Stress Fractures

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Dieting Danger: Female Athletes Limiting Calories More Likely To Get Stress Fractures

Female college athletes on low-calorie diets could be putting themselves at risk for stress fractures, according to new Saint Louis University research published in this month’s The American Journal of Sports Medicine.

Researchers studied risk factors for exercise-related leg pain, including stress fractures in women participating in four popular fall sports – cross-country running, field hockey, soccer and volleyball.

Women with "disordered eating," which includes eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia but more generally refers to insufficient caloric intake, were more likely to develop stress fractures as a result of decreased estrogen production, says researcher Mark Reinking, PT, Ph.D., chairman of the department of physical therapy at Saint Louis University's Doisy College of Health Sciences.

Dieting Danger: Female Athletes Limiting Calories More Likely To Get Stress Fractures
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Dieting Danger: Female Athletes Limiting Calories More Likely To Get Stress Fract

Hey Chris whilst sorting through old threads I came across this and I thought of you. Not the disordered eating bit but the fact that you have lost lots of weight, maybe your estrogen is too low?