Hello Everyone!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Hello Everyone!

Hi everyone! How good is it to find a website/forum of "low carb" lovers!
      I've been doing atkins on and off for about 3 years - 1st time i lost 8kgs in 2 wks (which was all i wanted to) and was amazed and therefore a true believer!:)
      Now I have put a little bit back on... so.. back onto induction for me.... day 3 today and feeling pretty good.....
      Anyway thought i'd share a snack idea with you all, that i've only just discovered although some of you prob know it - anyway it's quick, easy and yum!
      Just grab some grated parmesan cheese (i just buy a pack of pre-grated), put spoon fulls on a tray (in little mounds) the tray should have baking paper on it, put in the oven at about 200 deg for about 2 mins - watch it bubble then pull it out let cool for about a min or so then use a spatula/knife to place them on kitchen paper to cool and crisp up.
      Just like having cheese crackers!
      Ok just thought i'd share that and say hi.
      Happy Low Carbing!;)
      Julzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • Re: Hello Everyone!

Hey there Julz!

Welcome :)

My son eats this home made sour dough I buy from a nearby farmers market and likes to have it grilled with cheese on top. I love giving him too much cheese so it runs onto the alfoil and after I serve it, I can pick off the cheese from the alfoil while its all nice and melted, yumm!!!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Hello and welcome Julz.:)

Your cheese crackers sound too delicious for me!:eek: I switched to the fresh parmesan after a visit to my sister-in-law and hubby didn't complain about the smell at the table. I wonder if it would turn out the same...might be too runny.:cool:
      Whoever said 'people get fat because they're going to get diabetes' has my respect.

Thanks for saying hi everyone!
      Day 4 today - lost 2kg so far :) i've got my flat mate onto it as well - he's lost 2kg so it's neck and neck on the "diet challenge!" We even have a graph up on the fridge!
      I'm off to woop woop for 2 weeks (with work) oh and no internet access as far as i know..... so hopefully when i get back i will be able to tell you all the good news that i'm down to my goal weight (fingers crossed).
      I have a good recipe for low carb choc brownies if anyone would like it - very yum especially if you heat it up in the microwave and serve with a dollop of cream :D
      Talk to you all when i get back..........................

Certainly does! It's actually out of the "Low Carb not No Carb" Cookbook.
      Ok...
      Ingredients:
      2 Eggs, 2 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil, 200g Tub of Fromage Frais (I use Yoplait Vanilla Yoghurt the "no fat" one in the green tub only 5.5g carbs per 100g), 140mL of Apple Puree (can use any fruit - berries???), 2 tsp Vanilla Essence, 1 and 1/4 cups caster sugar (use sweetener and adjust accordingly), Combine all these in one bowl.
      Then in another bowl..... Sift together
      1/2 cup SR Flour, 1/2 cup Plain Flour (can use ground almonds instead), 1 tsp baking soda, 3/4 cup of Cocoa Powder.

Combine the two and stir well. Place in tin (30cmx20cm) that has been greased and lined with baking paper (base and 2 sides)
      Oven 180 deg C for approx 30 mins.
      Cool in tin (will sink a bit in the middle) then turn out and cut into pieces.

Now this recipe says when cutting into 18 pieces it has 2.5g carbs per piece, if you substitute the flour for ground almonds, the sugar for sweetener, the apple for berries, and use the "not fat" yoghurt it'll have a lot less!
      I heat up a couple of pieces in the microwave and serve with a dollop of cream.
      Yummmmmmmmmmm gets me through any chocolate craving! :)

I normally use the almond flour (to replace the plain flour) making it 1/2 cup almond flour & 1/2 cup SR flour - and it works well....... but I'm living in semi-woop woop at the moment so can't get it at the supermarket here. The last few times I've made it I have just been using all flour. Either way works, although haven't tried using all almond flour???????? need to add extra bi-carb if someone does try!
      Oh Sherrie that's what I wanted to ask - I read somewhere on this forum that the carb content on a label has already had the fibre taken off it... is this correct?? So on a label it says......
      Carb (total) = 20g
      Fibre = 5g

That makes the carbs that count 20g still?????? not 15g???????:confused:

If its Australian, yes the fibre should have been already subtracted!

You can usually tell because on label it will go some like this:

Carbohydrates 20g
      -------Sugars 5g

Fibre 10g

Where as one that includes fibre will most likely look similar to this:

Carbohydrates 20g
      -------Sugars 5g
      -------Fibre 10g

Also if subtracting the fibre leaves a negative carbohydrate total then you know for sure it had already been taken out.

If there is one your not sure of just double check here just in case.

That is great that it works with the almond meal. Do you mind if I copy your recipe to the recipe section?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Hey Everyone,
      I'm back in civilisation! :) But unfortunately put a couple of kilos back on after losing 5... not sure why (although the chocie biscuits might have had something to do with it) ;)
      Anyway back on atkins again thursday..........

Sherrie - more than welcome to put that recipe on the site - it's gotten me through a few chocolate cravings! And thanks for the advice on the fibre content will have to have a careful look at the labels.
      Talk to you all soon!

I am going good, very tired this week but good. I am starting to get very itchy feet and want to get strict again so I am trying to slowly wean my daughter off the booby juice a bit :)

Great news on your exam, maybe next time you could snack on some nuts! ;)

Hey guys thanks for the welcome....
      It is so good to find fellow "no rice" orderers! :)

Hey Sherrie I baked those choc brownies again this morning... but tried a new substitute for the apple puree will let you know how it goes! Managed to get some almond meal last trip into "the big smoke" so used that instead of the plain flour and it rose beautifully! :)