Pinned Welcome to the new diabetes section!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Welcome to the new diabetes section!

Welcome to our new forum! :)

As requested, a new section for any diabetics or others people with blood sugar problems visiting the forum.

Like the rest of this website this forum does not contain medical advice, this is set up purely for the members of the forum so that they can share their experiences and learn from each other.

If you are diabetic, in danger of becoming diabetic, have other blood sugar problems or have someone close who is... we would love to hear about your experiences with. Don't be shy as it is this exchange that will help this section grow and I hope be a great benefit for every body.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Welcome to the new diabetes section!

Thanks Sherrie for this section, I thought I'd come along and introduce myself here and see if I am the only resident diabetic. I'd so love to see others in here - there's so many different experiences with low carbing and diabetes! Do we have any success stories for diabetics? love to hear them too.
      I've been diabetic 20 years now, on insulin 8 years and want to get off it, hoping Atkins will help me do that.

Just in case we get some other diabetics (aside from myself) in here, here's a valuable link where you can learn a whole heap of stuff about low carbing and diabetes - you have to register, it's free! it's Dr Bernstein's forum everyone there is diabetic (or looking after a diabetic).

diabetes-book.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Hi Janine,

My family is susceptible to type 2 diabetes.

My Grandfather got it when he was 79.

But my father was borderline for years.

I reckon I was not far away from it when I weighed over 215 kilos.

To me, Low carb is THE superior nutrition to prevent type 2, and control blood sugar.

Dave

so Dave it sounds like you have avoided the family inheritance????
      How much weight have you lost?
      Type 2 is in my family, I got it at 29, my uncle was 39 but other than us two no one before us had it, of course we suspect it was on my grandmother's side but she was adopted so we couldn't go further back. It's shown up in my nephew now but he refuses to lose weight, he's at about 220kgs last I heard and 36. My daughter had a high reading at 17 (weighing 42kgs and is today she's still only 49kgs and 27) she has a GTT every year and no other high readings. I worry about my boys though, one is quite weighty and the other fortunately after being a skinny kid, went to work and put it on and recently lost it and is now a good weight.

Janine there is type 2 on my dads brothers side but like your grandmother he was adopted so can't go further back.

My mum and and her aunty (me too) both put weight on in the same pattern as a diabetic, around the middle and skinny legs no matter how fat. I don't know about her aunty or the rest of her family but the doctors are always checking mum to see if she is diabetic but her blood sugar is always fine. Mind you I am sure she will end that way, she has classic signs of PCOS though never diagnosed as one. Ovarian cysts, problems with tubes, fibroids etc etc, heck they have never even been able to find one of her ovaries.

Of couse she is an asthmatic from smoking which would be helping (steriods).

My cousin who is a type 2 eats junk and more junk despite his blood sugar readings.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

I think maybe its classic signs of both due to insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome. I know theres lots of skinny type 2s just like there is skinny PCOS sufferers but I wonder where the fat would go if they gained weight?

I know my cousin is definatley a smartie man.

You know I think people who gain weight around the middle have an easier time losing weight on low carb.

Hello all, Just thought I'd pop in here and say hello.
      Diagnosed about 3 months ago. Type 2
      Started LC a little after finding out, weight loss is a little slow but is happening and my BS readings seem to be getting better.
      I've been on and off different diets all my life and have always found Low Carbing to be the easiest to stick with, although after a while temptation gets the better of me and I fall off the wagon "so to speak"
      I doubt that will happen this time, as I now know I just can't have sugars, and this is the longest I've ever gone being on a diet. I want to stay with it this time and am enjoying finding ways to replace the sugars and starches I once use to eat.
      The cauliflower pizza base is wonderful and LC cheesecake - divine
      There real helpers on this new way of eating.
      Look forward to hearing from others and their experiences.
      Cheers

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

Howdy all.

My mother was type I and died at age 56. My youngest daughter was diagnosed at age 7. We thought she had the flu but it was a 700+ blood sugar level with ketones off the scale. It took 3 days to bring both levels down slowly so there would not be any brain damage. Fortunately it worked. She is now 18. She is considered a brittle diabetic and has a very difficult time keeping control. Her a1c is usually around 11.

I was diagnosed three years ago type-I. I had been monitoring my bs readings over the years and it began to go up slowly. After a couple of years I developed tunnel vision at night and could not drive after dark. My bs readings were level at about 350. I decided it was time to see the doctor. They tried treating me as a type II but I had adverse reactions to the meds and I finally ended up in hospital. When the doctor mentioned another oral med I told him I was not opposed to injecting insulin he said great as he was getting concerned about the reactions to the oral meds.

My a1c went from 11.5 steadly down and my vision problems cleared up. My a1c is now 5.6 and my bs readings are between 95 and 115 consistantly.

So far so good.:D
      severely computer challenged

Sherrie,
      I have been on a heart healthy diet since having a heart attack and open heart surgery in 1982 so diet is quite easy.

Currently I am on steroyds for a rash and it is really messing with my blood sugar levels. Thank goodness I only have one more day to take them. My bs level goes from 96 in the morning to 220 by lunch. I feel like crap until I can adjust my insulin to bring it down. I have tried to increase insulin intake at breakfast but have not had much luck getting it right. Too much and I drop like a stone not enough and it's on the roof.:eek:

Hey Miles, have you ever read Dr Bersteins book?

He is a type 1 diabetic whom believes in managing diabetes through a low carb diet. Being a non diabetic myself I am not all that experienced with it other then what I read and learn from the diabetics here and we don't really see diabetes 1 here so I have less experience in this regard. But I am hugely interested in if this is possible and what peoples experiences are. My partners work mate has a son with diabetes 1 and I mentioned once about this book and he was shocked as his impression from raising a boy with diabetes 1 is that you need carbs to manage it and that too little is dangerous. So thus this spiked my interest even more.

This is the book here: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution you can access it free online from that site, can't remember if all of it is there or if it is an old revision but theres a fair bit there for free.

Miles wrote:

I was diagnosed three years ago type-I. I had been monitoring my bs readings over the years and it began to go up slowly.

Hi Miles,
      Pardon my ignorance, but was just curious how they diagnose type 1 when it seems you have had late onset diabetes which is usually type 2 ?
      Is it classed as type 1 because you are on injections ?

I always thought type 1 was child hood diabetes and type 2 late onset.

I have a nephew with type 1 (type 1 history on his fathers side)
      So I have a keen interest in anything that could help him.

Cheers

and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

Janal I think it can appear after having a flu etc

If true, I'd imagine it is probably more common in children because they get sick more often and their immune systems aren't as strong.

[bSherrie[/b]
      Does the doctor advocate treating type 1 with diet alone?

janal

They no longer use the classification 'Juvenile or child' diabetes. Just type 1 & 2. Mine would have been type 2 if I had gone to the doctor a year of so earilier than I did. I expect that due to the complications I had with the oral meds I would have been put on insulin then.

Until science finds a way to regenerate the beta cells in the pancrease (sp) most if not all type 2 diabetics will move, if they live long enough, to type 1.

Since you didn't mention your nephews age and just where he is with diabetes I don't know just what to tell you there. If he is young, say 6-12, I can post a link to Childrens Hospital of Pittsburgh. They are a leading authority in children and diabetes.

Miles wrote:

Until science finds a way to regenerate the beta cells in the pancrease (sp) most if not all type 2 diabetics will move, if they live long enough, to type 1.

Sorry Miles, have to disagree here. I have been diabetic for over 10 years now. I used to be on 4 insulin injections a day including a slow release one for overnight. Since following a LC eating plan and taking control over my own health I am now on no medications at all. I have regular blood tests to check on my progress and it just keeps getting better all the time.

[IMG:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wBNvBCc/weight.png]

"The most important person to be honest with is yourself"

Same for me, although I've only been diagnosed 10 mths ago.
      BS are great now, I'm off meds.

Nephew was 4yo when diagnosed he is now 15.

Sorry still don't understand how they tell the difference between T1 or T2 in older adults. Might go do some research.
      Cheers