Elimination - Fail Safe Diet

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Elimination - Fail Safe Diet

Oh I finally found an aluminium free deodorant that is not fragranced!

Its a crystal that you rub on your armpits called Deo-Nat. This think is brilliant, its working better then any deodorant I have had. My armpits just smell of nothing even just before I jump in the shower.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Snez I swear if I wanted to I could wear the same shirt all week and it wouldn't smell! My arm pits never smell at all now!

Anyway I thought I should mention here too about a source for fresh lamb in south australia: Limestone Coast Lamb
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

I bought it fro an organic health food shop in Mt Barker but I am sure I have seen it in just normal health food shops as well.

I noticed too that they make a sports one too, I want to try and talk Garry into using it.

I have decided to take out gluten, though I don't think that was ever one of her problems in the beggining as we didn't really eat it other then if I was naughty. But, maybe it is becoming a problem now? She has been really impossible the last week and we have been eating oats for breaky every morning lately.

But if this doesn't work then I am giving up as I am running out of things we can eat.

Btw I should mention I added a mince filling recipe that is failsafe and can be used for different things: apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?p=126360

Sherrie just back from the Sally Fallon Talk. It was only 2 hours tonight - talking about foods to feed children. Tomorrow is the all day talk.
      Tonight Sally was talking about foods for brain development:

Vit A - cod liver oil, liver, butter & egg yolks from grass-fed animals
      Vit D - Cod liver oil, lard, butter & egg yolks from grass-fed animals
      Choline - Cod liver oil, liver, butter, egg yolks
      DHA - cod liver oil, liver, butter, egg yolks
      Zn - red meat from grass-fed animals, shellfish
      Trptophan - meat from grass-fed animals
      Cholesterol - dairy foods, eggs, seafood, meat from grass-fed animals.

Kids to be given daily dose of cod liver oil (with no synthetics added) - doesn't recommend fish oil. She gave liquid cod liver oil to her kids in shot glasses with a bit of orange juice.

She spoke about soy formula and I so regret giving it to my second son. Anyway, I might try giving my sons cod-liver oil.

Do you soak your rolled oats overnight before eating?
      Weight Loss Goal - to reach 55kg
      Currently doing 12 week body transformation - at 64kg (9kg to goal)
      (Started 27/8/12 at 77.8kg)

Your so lucky I soooo wanted to go, if it was another week I could have as Garry bought a car last w/e.

I was giving Maya cod liver oil in her food and funnily enough, I used to take cod liver oil in a shot glass with orange juice before I started this. Now we can't have it as it has too much amines which are caused by aged/cooked proteins.

I have just started putting flax oil in her porridge.

I can't ferment the grains because they will develop more amines as well.

I am so hoping its gluten in a way because all thats left really that could be a big problem is butter and meat.

I am a member of a failsafe-nourishing traditions group aswell and they don't eat much.

Snez...Fish oil wasnt recommended or was cod liver oil just a lot better???? I've started giving my girls fish oil and have noticed a marked improvement in one! Tastes so vial I have to put it in a spoon with a dollup of honey!
      I like how they state grass fed meat...like you can just buy that in coles!! LOL
      If you do want some Snez let me know coz I can get hold of it. Having a bit more trouble with lamb so we are going to get some of our own and let them free range with the goats!
      You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

I just found out my farmers market I go to have started selling organic lamb every 4th sunday and the legs are only $10 p/kg.

To top that off because they are organic they estimated that they would only be able to supply lamb from january to june so I have pretty much missed out on most of it until next year, I had no idea :(

Not sure whether to try to get some this month or not as I just bought a full lamb.

Cod liver oil is better as it has higher epa/dha and very good source of viatmins A and D. Ofcourse if you get a lot of viatmin D then fish oil might be better. I like cod liver oil for me personally because of the vitamin A.

Neither are allowed on the elimination diet though.

As you know I'm not not having the best of luck, I have some improvements but like I said in my diary earlier I think the key is fixing what ever is over stimulating her that is interfering with her sleeping. I suspect amines.

Anyway I found no benefit from taking out gluten and I've read that the longer you keep things out the more sensitive you become and the less foods we eat the more likely we may develop other intolerances.

So I am just going to do the challenges and see if she gets worse and then work on desensitising.

Haven't posted in here for many years but I wanted to add something I found out today. Since we moved 2 years ago Maya has been progressively worse to the point where she lost all of her self esteem at school and I had to pull her out. Anyway she still isn't back to how she was so we have been on the failsafe diet including eliminating wheat and dairy and still no success. So today, I was going through their common mistakes page where I found this, before I go to it I just want to add when we moved 2 years ago we also changed where she does her swimming lessons, whilst they're very good, there is very poor ventilation as it's just a home set up and a lot of babies are in the water at the same time which would also mean more urination:

Do you or your children swim in chlorinated pools?

NO

Go to next question.

YES

On the surface of all chlorinated pools, especially indoor pools, there's a gaseous layer of chlorine and its metabolised gases called chloramines that are formed by heating chlorine or by reactions of chlorine with perspiration or urine. Although not mentioned by RPAH, these chloramines can cause the same reactions as food chemicals in some children, including behaviour, hives and asthma.

• saltwater pools generally contain some chlorine but not as much

• some families find they can minimize the effects of chloramines by children wearing goggles and showering in fresh water immediately after swimming

• outdoor pools are safer than indoor, home pools are generally better than public pools

• some children do better avoiding swimming lessons and smelly chlorinated pools at least until they have finished their elimination diet, see story below:

[INDENT]"After 4 weeks on the elimination diet I was still scratching my head trying to work out what I was missing with our daughter. Our dietitian couldn't fault me how I was following the diet but seemed to suggest that she felt our daughter was possibly one of these children that just diet was not going to fix. She strongly suggested we give the diet another 4 weeks without doing any challenges and see how our daughter went, but to be realistic about the fact that she may not get any better and that we look into getting her psychologically assessed. I felt as though her swimming lessons were impacting on her behaviour so pulled her out around the same time. Well I am pleased to tell you that most days for the past 13 days particularly the later of these, we have had a calm, happy, relaxed, loving, caring, mostly compliant beautiful little girl. She seems to be more in control of her actions and I am not getting the "I don't know why I did this mummy, my brain can't help it". She is very excited about receiving her readers from school and proudly comes home and reads them to us with no problems at all.- thanks to Mel"[/INDENT]
      [INDENT]
      [/INDENT]

For people who have a frequently used backyard pool, see this solution from the tropics below.

[INDENT]"My 6 yo son's chlorine reactions are similar to his salicylate reaction except that he skips the usual initial silliness and hyper behaviour and goes straight into tantrums/anger/out of control behaviour. The first one we noticed (his first swimming lesson) was delayed 12 hours, he woke up the next day grumpy and irritated and was like that for a couple of days and settled down. A week later with the next lesson, grumpy again the next day but during that week descended into tantrums/swearing. The next few weeks followed the same pattern, but the behaviour got worse with no good days at all in the end. Obviously it was building up with each lesson and when he stopped it took another week for him to settle. We now have a salt water pool, where the chlorinator runs in the middle of the night only, so that by the time he swims during the afternoon, there is no smell (the filter is set up so that we can run it when we are actually in the pool during the day without the chlorinator being on).- thanks to Jenny H"

• One third of the Australian Olympic swimming team have asthma. For more about chloramines as a cause of asthma, see smh.com.au/articles/2007/11/23/1195753262186.html
      [/INDENT]

How interesting!

Have you stopped the lessons?

There are so many every day things we do, without realizing the consequences to our health!

Some things are just beyond our control, like these mercury fillings, it is so expensive to get them changed, we can't afford it and my mouth is full of them. Those stupid dentists stuck them in our mouth many moons ago, they should change them for free!!!
      My Blog
      First Mini Goal of 1.6 achieved - 30-7-2013

MINI GOAL

BIGGER GOAL

BIGGEST GOAL TO COME

We have already paid for the term so Garry wants to try and see if she can get through the term having a shower straight after. He stopped doing that there because its very small and crowded and you can never get in the shower. Her class is run with another class that can have a dozen babies/toddlers and their mums or dads in the pool so you could imagine the big rush for the change rooms let alone the shower after the lesson!
      I know of another home business that uses a saltwater pool here in the hills so I might look into that. I don't want to stop taking her to swimming lessons because she has gone from being very scared of water to being a very confident swimmer. Even if the showering helps a bit it's still going to have an effect and keep building up.