Low Carb Moussaka

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Moussaka

I made this the other night, I wasn't very keen on this but Garry absolutely loves it so maybe my taste is a bit funky at the moment so I figured I will post it. It was a vegetable moussaka that I made low carb.

Low Carb Moussaka

600g mince meat
      3 eggplants, sliced in 5mm slices
      1 carrot, peeled and diced finely
      2 celery stalks, diced finely
      2 spring onions chopped finely
      2 cloves of garlic, crushed
      1 400g can tomatoes, chopped
      1/4 cup tomato paste
      2 tsp italian herbs, just quickly subbed with this because I decided the herbs in original recipe wouldn't work (tarragon & thyme)
      Olive oil

Cheese Sauce
      200g cream cheese (the tub I had was only 200g), softened
      200ml pure cream (same with cream)
      1/3 cup parmesean

Salt sliced eggplant and let stand in colander for 30 mins or so (you don't have to do this but it helps remove the bitterness). You may wish to rinse and pat dry when done.

Preheat oven to 190C

Lightly brush eggplant with oil and pan fry in batches until lightly brown. Don't bother just chucking in a big glob of oil and doing it that way because it will just get soaked up straight away. Set aside.

Saute onion, garlic, carrot and celery in oil until just tender. set aside.

Brown mince real good then add the sautaed vegies, herbs, tomato and paste. I found I needed to add some water at this stage. Bring to boil then set aside.

In a clean saucepan, add the cream cheese and then gradually add the cream until well mixed and then add the parmesean, this is pretty thick so you may wish to add a little water, up to you. Bring to just about to boil and set aside.

In a greased baking/casserole dish, layer a third of the eggplant, half the meat mixture and a third of the cheese sauce. Add another layer of eggplant with half of remaining eggplant, add rest of meat mixture and half of remaining cheese sauce. Then add last layer of eggplant and remaining cheese sauce.

At this point you may wish to lightly sprinkle with parmesean (powdered kind) but warning cheese sauce is rich or you might want to sprinkly with a tablespoon or two of low carb bread crumbs or not worry.

Chuck in oven and cook for around 40 mins or until top is golden.

Serve with green vegies or green salad.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Low Carb Moussaka

Calli wrote:

That creamy cheesey sauce is pretty awesome. I am making a lasagne with it.

Found this thread as I was also looking for a low carb white sauce.

Will use this for my "bechamel" in home made lasagne. Have sour cream so hope using that with the cream cheese will still be okay.

Hopefully the family don't notice - they can usually spot one of my "experiments" from a mile away.

Will use regular pasta sheets for their meals and will make separate batch for myself, using savoury LC pancakes for my lasagne layers.

The bolognese is bubbling away as I type.
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!