Pinned Low Carb Menu Ideas

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Low Carb Menu Ideas

Dr atkins does say you don't need to count calories when you go on induction. The main reason is because of the amount of fat you are eating tends to fill you more quickly, so you don't get hungry.That's why he can say eat if you are hungry...
      You can eat as much fresh meats, chicken, fish, shell fish,eggs and pure fats as you like, but limit the processed meat..anything else has carbs and you will need to limit them to how many carbs there are..

After induction you will start tweaking your food, and adding in more carbs, that's when you will need to keep an eye on the calories...
      You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
      You grow old because you stop laughing.

Hey Rosie you're right Atkins main point is that the main focus should be on carbs and not calories, he states somewhere in his book that calories still matter. Most people find somewhere down the track, when they get closer to goal, they will need to count calories. I started counting around the 60kg mark, maybe just over though I did not eat enough for me, made it to goal though.

The reason he is not fussed about calories in the beginning, is because by reducing your carbs to low levels your appetite will naturally reduce and this will maintain a calorie deficit on it's own. It is up to you whether you do though, I probably wouldn't worry for induction. Just remember counting calories if you choose too isn't just about restricting yourself because you should find you won't be too hungry like a low fat diet. Counting calories can also serve in tracking your intake for later use and for making sure you don't eat too little. some people find ketosis works so well they don't eat enough which will be detrimental in the long run if weight loss is your goal.

*edit this no longer applies as they are back to using Australian info, finally!* ->>> Regarding calorieking I do not recommend it. I loved it when it was dietclub but now it is unreliable, conflicting and way too confusing for a newbie on a low carb diet, IMO avoid it and only use it to look up packaged foods/take away if you need too.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sherrie: calorieking ().

Thanks for that, everyone, you raise some good points. I have a lot of weight to lose (around 50kgs) and I've tried and failed on so many diets that I'm really wanting to give something else a go. I think I'll do the induction as Dr Atkins suggests, and go from there. Anyway, I'll let you know how things progress. Cheers, Rosie.

Has the CK australia website got the fibre deducted.I know the american one didn't, but now the have the au site it might be different..
      I like the diagram they give on fit day showing the PFC...It was a bit of a pain adding all the foods I ate but once they were there it was easier...
      You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
      You grow old because you stop laughing.

Like the Idea of adding Low Carb Menu Ideas ( New to site hope I have added it ok)

Breakfast

1 egg and 2 pieces of bacon
      Or
      ½ Cup of frozen berries with cream on top
      Or
      Mushrooms cooked in butter with ½ tomatoe
      Or
      Ham and 1 egg with spinach or lettuces
      Or
      Ricotta bakes with tomato
      Or
      Omelette with ham and cheese using I egg

Lunch

Tuna, cheese salad, green leafy salad
      Or
      Other cold meats – pork, beef or lamb with cheese and green leafy salad
      Or
      A vegetable salad with seafood

Dinner

Hot Soups like Tom Yum and Chicken
      Or
      Roast meats with variations on salads or vegetables eg. add lime juice, olive oil, coriander or grill the vegetables
      Or
      Eggplant Bolognese bake
      Or
      Any other recipes to my liking

Snacks

Cheese cake

Extra to add is a nut mix with Linseed, sunflower and almond blend (LSA) which I place 2 tablespoons on my frozen berries and cream. (Helps with constipation)

Drinks: Herbal Tea, Water, and Dite Rite cordial

Work around having about 20 to 30 Cabs a day. Some days 35 so next day - I bring it down around the 20. To average out a week at aprox. 170 carbs

Lost 7 kg

Something you can play around with to reach your carb intake.
      Hope this helps some, enjoy and would like to see other peoples Menu Ideas as it great fun to try different food ideas in the low carb range.

Note for Web site operators: Someone added their Menu their Dr. gave them if you find it, would love you to move it to this Low Carb Menu Ideas thread as it was a good base to work off too.

The post was edited 1 time, last by stylecuisine ().

I know this is a really old thread, but bumping and would really like to read other posters' eating plans. Please.

I have lost 8 kilo, and then stalled so I then started counting calories and discovered I wasn't eating enough cals so started eating more and put two kilo on in two weeks, doing random ketosis checks I was in and out of ketosis so keeping my carbs fairly low. So now I am pretty much totally confused by the whole thing.

ketone sticks only measure excess ketones which are unused ketones wasted through urine. The longer you low carb the more efficient your body gets and thus the less ketones that are wasted. It is quite common to be in ketosis yet measure negative for someone whom has been low carbing for a while. Also, I found TOM used to effect ketosis for me as well.

You may be unnecessarily eating too little carbs. A good way to tell is for other signs of ketosis such as lack of appetite, smelly breath etc
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

The cereal doesn't exist any more, it consisted of flax seed, psyllium husk, whey protein isolate, dessicated coconut and lecithin. You could easily make your own, some people have shared recipes for something similar. Try going to index to low carb recipes and then look for the breakfast thread. With cheesecake, we have a large cheesecake thread and the index will have link to that also!

Sherrie wrote:

It was a basic cheesecake using diet jelly, look for a cheesecake in the Cheesecake thread by sammiejam.

Just found this quote for you on the cheesecake

The most obvious vegetable replacement for a pasta noodles is squash and zucchini. Simply shred the squash to become spaghetti pasta and thinly slice the zucchini to become a lasagna noodles. It is healthy and delicious. You will be sure that you are eating a no-carb food. Try this at home and you'll love it.