Pinned Welcome to the Low Carb and CKD/Refeeding Forum :)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Welcome to the Low Carb and CKD/Refeeding Forum :)

As requested I have made a Low Carb and CKD/Refeeding subforum where others can share their experiences, advice, tips etc on CKD and Refeeding or whatever you like to call it.

I was tossing up between putting this in the low carb section or the fitness section but for now have decided on the low carb living section.

This method is more suited to people who are exercising a lot and close to goal but who knows, it or a form of it, may be suited to others as well who have been dieting for a long time.

So anyway I putting this out there, it is usually very taboo, after all it involves adding back in something most of us had sworn off for life.

Of course you need to be in the right frame of mind for it, if you're a binge eater this could be very bad news!

I don't view carbohydrates as evil per se, I think they can have a purpose at times. I believe the biggest problems with carbohydrates are what we do to them and our excessive use of them as well as food intolerances, medications, enviromental factors and so on that may interfere with how we metabolise and digest them.

I'll explain more about what this involves in a "what is" type post.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Welcome to the Low Carb and CKD/Refeeding Forum :)

Here's my first contribution having just completed my second refeed day.

What I have learned from doing only 2 refeeds is this -- Stay away from your trigger food -- mine is chocolate. Even though you are "allowed" sugar at the beginning of the refeed, if you suffer from insulin spikes - don't do it!
      You have to limit your fat intake on this day so there is no way to counteract the high sugar/low sugar rollercoaster. I did better the first time starting out with banana, oats and skim milk. There is no reason why you can't continue to use your low-carb/no sugar maple syrup or sweetners during re-feed. I also found that the chocolate was sickly sweet and actually prefer my "Well Naturally" stuff instead.

It is also important to have protein every time you eat on refeed day. It is so easy to just eat carbohydrates on their own because lean protein is not so appetising when you can eat fatty meat at any time.

For me, I need complex carbs [low GI], not simple ones [high GI] and eaten with protein. Just because they fill me up more and the protein slows down the release of sugar into the bloodstream.

Also remember that even though you can eat more than a normal low-carb day, low fat is so unsatisfying. In a way it feels like low-fat hell dieting all over again -- always feeling hungry. The best part is that you enjoy your chosen plan of high fat, moderate protein eating all the more. It reminds you that you are not missing out on that much after all.

For me, the day after re-feed is easy, my body doesn't want any more carbs, in fact, it doesn't want very much food at all. You feel like you have had a binge, without the guilt, but with a very real reminder of how revolting eating huge amount of carbs makes you feel.

PS: For me, the best things in life are carbs with fat [raisin toast and butter, hot chips] and these are still off limits, so it is not a free for all.

Maybe you're having too much or the wrong types still?

For me when I did it I would feel very satisfied and half way through the refeed I'd feel full and struggle to eat any more and then the next day I wouldn't eat for ages. When I say full not sickly full, just full like when your in deep ketosis.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Long time no chat.
      Anyway good to see you have a section covering this subject. Thanks Sherrie.
      I have dieting like this for about 6 months now. My best results were pre Xmas. I lost quite a bit of weight (about 3 kgs) and visibly cut right down. During this time I kept a diary of my weight and all the food I ate on a daily basis.
      Then came Xmas. I put on quite a bit of weight, due the combination of no exercise and too many "bad" things.
      Post Xmas, even though I kept the dairy I have never been able to replicate my results again. I have not been able to loose much more body fat. My weight has gone up but this is muscle. My measurements have gone up except the important ones i.e. waist and hips.
      So all in all this type of eating has if anything increased my lean body mass quite a bit without any marked increase in fat.

Hi Chicken Legs
      Can you please tell me specifically how you did your re-feed?
      Sorry but here are the questions
      ~ how long?
      ~ how many calories? carbs?
      ~ how often do you lift weights in a week?
      ~ what is your low carb days carb count?
      Thanks. I've been doing this for 3 weeks, lost weight the first two and gained it all back this week although I think it was some screwed up hormones rather than the diet.
      Would love some more detail.
      Thanks
      Katie xxx

Yeah I think its because you started your pill after your first refeed, would have been better to seperate the two so you knew what was working ifykwim. If its still bad tommorrow maybe hold off until things setlle?

Katie

~ how long?
      I only do it for one day. I found 2 days just didnt work for me. But because it is only one day I do eat a lot during that day.

~ how many calories? carbs?
      Well I have given up counting. I think and this is only a guess but I think I probally hit about 4000 cals.
      Breakfast 4.30am- 4 slices toast with jamand 1 and a half cups (dry) oat/oatbran
      or pancakes with maple syrup and low fat icecream
      Morning tea (1) 7.30am - 2 slice of toast with jam
      Morning tea (2) 10.00am - oat bran muffin
      Lunch 12.00 -Sunday night leftovers (low carb)
      Afternoon tea (1) 2.30pm - oat bran muffin
      Afternoon tea (2) 5.00pm - oat bran muffin
      Dinner 7.00pm - pasta
      Supper - 1 and a half cups (dry) oats and oatbran

I did do calorie counts earlier on but the menu was different then and basically I'm very lazy.

During the week I am probally at maintenance level

~ how often do you lift weights in a week?[/COLOR]
      I dont lift weights. I ride my bike to work, 40km round trip 200km/week and play basketball once a week.

~ what is your low carb days carb count?
      My low carb days could be a little as 30-40g when I not riding my bike but is about 100g when riding and playing basketball. I basically have a bowl of porridge in the mornings on those days.

Thanks. I've been doing this for 3 weeks, lost weight the first two and gained it all back this week although I think it was some screwed up hormones rather than the diet.

I found too that I had a drastic descease in the first 2 weeks also. 3.5kg.
      Then everything settled down and I gradually put on weight but my measurements stayed low ie waist and hips.
      So that is about it for me, my approach is pretty hit and miss. I keep a diary so I can refer back and make adjustments. I found it helps, I have a shocking memory.

P.S.
      I have an e-book version of "The Anabolic Diet" by Dr. Mauro Dipasquale. It isnt his latest one but I think it has all of the basis in there for CKD. Let us know if you were interested.
    • My Refeed experiences

I just had myself a good old PMS refeed. I've found planning around certain days helps. The extra carbs help me feel full and help me sleep well when the old hormones are trying to break free of the chains.

I always find I look forward to the refeed days (36 hours typically) and by the last few hours I'm ready for it to be over. I stay away from corn, it messes with me, and I do much better.

Last week I crammed in 500grams - and the hunger I'd been feeling after two weeks of intense workouts and clean eating (IF + LC [aka real food that isn't white]) was gone. With IF I normally eat between 12PM and 8 PM and the last few days I've had to remind myself to start eating at 1 PM. Hunger (and a calendar) are the signs I use to plan these refeeds.

I've been doing these since 2002 when all the news about leptin and ghrelin began emerging on bb forums.

Hey great to see someone else that has given it a try!!!

Your experiences sound just like mine.

Hello all!

I am VERY new to this and am wondering what exactly the "rules" are for CKD/Refeeding? I do well with being told what I can and can't do! That way it leaves little room for error! LOL!

I find I am the same as you KatieP. I am generally fine till lunch on a bowl of unprocessed oats mixed with protein powder, but it HAS to be low GI carbs and ALWAYS mixed with a protein for me to not go hungry!

What I am curious about is if I was to have just one day per week of refeeding, do I eat carbs with every meal? Do you just "pig out" on them? and also how does it effect the rest of your low carb week, especially in regards to the amount of fat you would eat as I know when you eat carbs in large amounts as well as fat you will have a tendancy to gain weight?

Maybe someone knows of a site or somewhere I can go where these types of refeeding diets are explained in greater detail (including the rules and regulations!)? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you:D

Thanks Sherrie,

Yes I did read that post. Your take on it was a lot simpler to understand for me than some of the science notes I tried to make sense of! I was more looking for info on the TKD program that you suggested (I think that was the one where you don't eat whole days worth of carbs but only eat certain carbs around when you exercise?) I am thinking this would be the best way to go as if I decided not to exercise or if I cant exercise one day, I just wouldn't eat them! My luck is on the CKD program I would eat mounds of carbs over a weekend then get sick and wouldn't be able to exercise for the rest of the week!! LOL!!:p

Try this one: Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD)

If you still need help I can hunt down my copy of the Ketogenic diet and see what Lyle recommends for TKD in there.

Keep us posted on how you go with it, might be useful for others thinking of it in the present or future!

Hi Guys
      I think i may have a problem. I didn't want to admitt it but i have a real problem with not seeing the carb refeed as me breaking my diet . I am an all or nothing type of personality and i cant seem to get my head around to having a carb re feed day. I feel like if i do that i will be failing my diet.
      I want to try the refeeding because i haven't lost any real weight since week one, and now in week 4.5. I have read all the info on this thread but am confused, i need someone to please help me and tell me exactly what and for how long i should do the refeed for.
      I am confused about the types of carbs i should be having and if i'm supposed to have them with protein or not and how much i should have . If i was to have say, porridge for breakfast, pasta for lunch and toast for dinner , would that work? Or should i have different carbs?????? I am terrified i will gain the weight back and all that hard work would have been wasted.
      I know the answer is prob in one of these threads.....can someone please post what they have and how often they have carb refeed as an example.