BMR and Calories

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: BMR and Calories

Yep the last 10kg is definitely the hardest!

Almost all the people who really have an easy time with those last few are ones who never really get overweight in the first place. Oh and you might find some links that go with the cycling in the refeeding section, the TNT Diet that I have linked to there would be a good buy.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Just bumping this up as this is something that I've only just recently been introduced to. My BMR is 1600 - but it needs to be at around 2200 cal or so, I am in the gym twice a day, morning with weights and cardio, afternoons mostly cardio. At what point does my BMR need to be to lose weight, not maintain it?

I'd be grateful for any advice :)

What you do, is you work out your BMR then add your activity multiplier and that should be a rough estimate of your maintenance calories. Then you subtract your calorie deficit from there but try to keep it above BMR. On the BMR page in the resources section I think they recomend no more then 500 calorie deficit? That's what I have always gone by though, I have seen others recommend 250. If I remember right my BMR was 13 hundred and something, I did weights 3 times per week and at one time cardio twice per week on the off days otherwise none. I can't remember what I did first now as that was back in 2002 but my calories were 1500 ish (aimed for between 1500-1600).

But basically work out your maintenance calories, then take away your calorie deficit, give that a go and then adjust from there if needed depending on how you feel and your progress. With your training, make sure you have plenty of protein. Personally, what I used to do is have a post workout shake (just the powder and water) straight after weight training and not even count it.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Sherrie wrote:

What you do, is you workout your BMR then add your activity multiplier and that should be a rough estimate of your maintenance calories. Then you subtract your calorie deficit from there but try to keep it above BMR. On the BMR page in the resources section I think they recomend no more then 500 calorie deficit? That what I have always gone by though I have seen others recommend 250. If I remember right my BMR was 13 hundred and something, I did weights 3 times per week and at one time cardio twice per week on the off days otherwise none. I can't remember what I did first now as that was back in 2002 but my calories were 1500 ish (aimed for between 1500-1600).

But basically workout your maintenance calories, then take away your calorie deficit, give that ago and then adjust from there of needed depending on how you feel and your progress. With your training, make sure you have plenty of protein. Personally, what I used to do is have a post workout shake (just the powder and water) straight after weight training and not even count it.

Excellent, thank Sherrie, I'm going to do that today!! Much appreciated :)

Having a read of this thread after working out my BMR. Thanks Sherrie.
      Glad I read it or I would have been working on maintenance instead of a deficit.

So my BMR is 1554
      If I multiply that by my activity level = 1865

So I would need to drop down to about 1600 cals a day to stay above my BMR.

No wonder my loss is so slow.

Does it look right to the "experts" :D out there.

Thanks

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

Looking back through some old charts, I'm all over the place.
      1792, 1839, 2289, 1294, 1907, 1509
      I haven't tracked calories for awhile, so obviously need to start doing it again.

and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

Your approximate daily caloric maintenance level is: 2019 calories (kcal)
      Your daily caloric goal in order to lose weight should be between: 1219 to 1619 calories (kcal)

Thanks for that Matt - nice handy little calculator - Cheers

The post was edited 1 time, last by janal ().

janal wrote:

Your approximate daily caloric maintenance level is: 2019 calories (kcal)
      Your daily caloric goal in order to lose weight should be between: 1219 to 1619 calories (kcal)

Thanks for that Matt - nice handy little calculator - Cheers

Um that's a big deficit and if you went for the low end would put you under your BMR?

calories (kcal)

Dumb question I know - but kcal is the symbol for calories - Yes?

Sherrie wrote:

Um that's a big deficit and if you went for the low end would put you under your BMR?

Um, looking at my old figures, maybe they weren't too bad, I have high days and lower days but overall I've lost weight on that although slow.
      Maybe my next step would be to rearrange what I eat, maybe more salad & veg and lower my fat intake a little.

It would want to be because if your maintenance calories were only 2019 kilojoules then your maintenance calories would become 483 calories :eek:

Clarification is always good :D
      The scale is in imperial so I did think it would be calories just can't remember seeing calories with this kcal definition before.
      Always thought the k stood for kilojoules.

Thanks

Looks like most of you are using the Harris benedict formula for calculating your BMR.

Personally I prefer the Katch-McArdle formula as it takes lean body mass into consideration. This calculation is therefore only possible if you know your percentage body fat. It is a better measure of caloric need for the obese than Harris-Benedict because it represents your actual body composition and is not based of assumptions about what one "should" weigh.

The formula is as follows:

BMR = 370 + (9.79759519 X Lean Mass in pounds)

You can determine your body fat by a body composition scan (dexa - arranged via an exercise physiologist) or take the estimate given by body fat scales ora caliper reading.

You then still caluculate you Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) by multiplying your BMR by your activity multiplier from the list below:

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
      Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
      Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
      Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
      Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

Although Im doing body trim which doesnt require you to track calories I do, as I have found my weight loss stalls if I eat below my BMR on a regular basis.

Yep we have a page here that explains the differences between the two formulas: BMR and Calories

Hey Lynda if you don't mind me asking what is your BMR ?

Mine is
      Your approximate daily caloric maintenance level is:1835 calories (kcal)
      Your daily caloric goal in order to lose weight should be between:1035 to1435 calories (kcal)

Sounds about right too me given that i do no exercise:)
      Current weight or lowest weight when im not being bad weight:D

10 kilo goal by September

Sherrie wrote:

Thanks Giz, which formula is that using?

Not sure, as I got this off someone else. I can tell you the formula used is....

=(66+(12.7*metabolic!B12)+ (6.27*metabolic!B11)-(6.8*metabolic!B13))*metabolic!B14

Where:

metabolicB11 = Weight
      metabolicB12 = Height
      metabolicB13 = Age
      metabolicB11 = Activity
      Cheers, Matt.
      Part Time Low Carber - Full Time Clown.

Overall Weight Loss:

==================================