Home Made Dairy Recipes: Cheeses and Yoghurt

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Home Made Dairy Recipes: Cheeses and Yoghurt

jojoamethyst wrote:

what i dont get is how come some of these recipes are low carb if they are made from milk and yoghurt?

this has always puzzled me

Hi jojo

for variety I mix it up once and awhile still keeping the carb count down, most times its cream and berries.

Home-made cream fraiche main ingredient is cream small amount of buttermilk used which is around 5.25 carbs for 125ml the recipe I divided into 4, intake per serve 1.3 carbs. It has a slight sour taste to it. Give it a try:)

Home-made Cream Fraiche

500ml Thick Cream
      125ml buttermilk
      1 TBS Lemon Juice

Place ingredients in saucepan and warm to 30C/86F. Cover loosely with cloth and leave in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours until thickened. Refrigerate for 4 or more hours to chill and finish thickening. Store in airtight container.

The post was edited 1 time, last by stylecuisine ().

Hi Sherrie,
      I occasionally make cheese (goat and cow) depending on milk availability.
      I have in the past made havarti, mozarella and gouda, but currently just stick to ricotta and fetta. These are relatively quick and easy to make. You can use A2 milk for any cheeses. It behaves exactly the same as A1 milk. Note that Buffalo, Goat and sheeps milk are all naturally A2. Most Jersey, guernsey and dexter cattle are A2. Most friesans and holsteins are A1.

For ricotta, just bring the milk to the point of boiling, then add vinegar or lemon juice, or citric acid. The milk will curdle, and the solids will rise to the top. Drain the solids in a cloth until they reach the desired texture, then salt or add flavours (herbs and oil, or fruits).

Fetta is a bit more complicated, but can still be made in one day. You would need to order the correct cultures and rennet. If using cows' milk they also recommend adding lipase to get the traditional flavour, although I have successfully made it without.

My favourite cheesemaking bible is 'Home Cheesemaking' by Neil and Carol Willman. They have a website, and it is easy to get all the supplies.

You could also make a primitive cheese by letting milk go sour and then draining the curd. Don't try this with pasturised milk because it is more likely to go off than sour. Raw milk will sour, and the lactic acid kills any germs and bugs.

You can freeze ricotta, and then use it in cooking etc.
      Fetta keeps well in a salt solution. If it gets too salty, just sit it in clean water overnight before using it.

jojoamethyst wrote:

what i dont get is how come some of these recipes are low carb if they are made from milk and yoghurt?

this has always puzzled me

Reading back through this old thread I just realised that I think I read this question wrong!

I am thinking now Jojo is meaning why are some typical low carb dairy items like cream cheese are low carb when they're made form milk. My guess is that the whey that is drained out contains most of the lactose and also in the case of some yoghurt, some of the lactose is broken down by bacteria during the processing.

Having said that, milk isn't exactly high carb either, at the end of the day using food standards; regular fat milk is only just over 6.3g per 100ml which isn't high carb at all - it just isn't very low and people have a tendency to drink a lot of milk, so it adds up. Regular goats milk is only 3.7g per 100ml

Regular A2 milk according to Calorie king is 5g per 100ml, woolworths full cream is 4.9ml, pura 4.8 etc so I am not sure why such a difference with food standards, perhaps they're averaging a bunch of various brands with some of them being overly high for some strange reason?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • I made rennet custard yesterday. It is really lovely. I used light cream, stevia, and vanilla extract.

Here is a nicely written blog post about rennet.

A few of the Junket brand, rennet custard recipes, from this site:

Junket Recipe:
      2 cups milk
      2 Tablespoons sugar
      2 tsp. rennet, or 1 junket tablet
      1/2 tsp. vanilla
      2 tsp. lukewarm water

Heat the milk to lukewarm 99 F
      [37.22 C] in a double boiler. Add sugar and flavoring and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add junket dissolved in water and pour into dish from which custard is to be served. Let stand until cool and firm. Serve with cream, soft custard, fruit, or fruit syrup. Cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut, chocolate, cocoa, or other flavor may be substituted for vanilla. Serves 6.
      (Recipe from 1953)
      [The recipe I used states 110 F, which is 43.33 C]

Caramel Junket:
      Melt and brown sugar in a frying pan before adding to junket. (recipe above)

Chocolate Junket:
      Add 1 square melted, unsweetened chocolate to recipe for junket. [If I have it right, one square of unsw. baking chocolate, at that time was one ounce.] (recipe above)

----

Here is a website with clear instructions about how to make cheese, with good photos of the process. There are recipes for yoghurt, feta, and other soft cheeses, up through hard cheeses.

Here are Five Different Methods for Making Mascarpone.

And Haloumi Cheese is on my "I'd like to try this" list.
      LCHF Maintenance, Goal: Health First.
      Daily averages of 50-60P: 110-130F: 30-35C

UTC -5 hours
    • Found a rennet custard recipe from Mrs. Beeton:

DEVONSHIRE JUNKET.

1631. INGREDIENTS.-- To every pint of new milk allow 2 dessertspoonfuls of brandy, 1 dessertspoonful of sugar, and 1-1/2 dessertspoonful of prepared rennet; thick cream, pounded cinnamon, or grated nutmeg.

Mode.-- Make the milk blood-warm; put it into a deep dish with the brandy, sugar, and rennet; stir it altogether, and cover it over until it is set. Then spread some thick or clotted cream over the top, grate some nutmeg, and strew some sugar over, and the dish will be ready to serve.

Time.-- About 2 hours to set the milk. Seasonable at any time.

UTC -5 hours
    • A lovely, fresh, white cheese, called "jibin", from Maureen Abood's website.

This is on my list to try.

Here is the text from the pdf recipe (the link above has photos, and a very sweet story of how Maureen got the recipe and instructions from her great-aunt.)

Lebanese White Cheese, Jibin

Jibin, also known as Jibneh Arabieh, is fresh cheese with an open texture, similar to Greek feta. Typically

eaten for breakfast, jibin is a delicate counterpoint to olives and delicious eaten with tomatoes,

cucumber, mint, and flatbread.

The flavor of jibin is always as good as the milk used to make it.

Store the cheese in brine and eat within a week or so of making it.
      Makes about 4 5-inch patties.
      The recipe can be doubled easily.

½ gallon whole milk

1 tablet rennet

Juice of half of a large lemon

Kosher salt

In a large stainless steel (not aluminum) pot, warm the milk to 90 degrees, or lukewarm. Remove from

the heat.

Crush the rennet with a mortar and pestle (or a makeshift one; the handle end of a large knife or spoon

in a small bowl works well). Add 2 tablespoons cold water to the rennet and stir to dissolve completely.

Gently stir the rennet mixture into the milk. Add the lemon juice and gently combine. Within a few

minutes you should begin to see small pools of a yellow liquid forming in the milk. This is the whey

separating from the curd. If the separation doesn’t appear to be happening, add more lemon juice.

Cover the pot and let it rest, undisturbed, in a warm spot for about an hour, or until a soft yogurt-like

curd block has formed. There will be a separation around the edge of the pan where the formation of

the curd is most evident.

Break up the curd (into the whey) with a whisk into pea-sized pieces that resemble cottage cheese. Let it

rest in the pan to settle for 30 minutes.

Line a colander with a single layer of ultra-fine cheesecloth. Pour the curd into the colander (the curd

will seem very wet and not particularly separate from the whey at this point; don’t worry, the whey will

drain off and the curds will be evident). Drain the curds for about an hour, stirring regularly to be sure

the whey drains evenly.

Line a sheet pan with white paper towel. Lightly salt the curds with a tablespoon of salt, stirring

completely. Scoop a large handful of the curd and use both hands to shape the cheese into a round or

oblong patty about 2 inches thick at the center, pressing out excess whey as you go.

Place the patties on the lined sheet pan and lightly cover with more paper towel. Refrigerate overnight.

To store the jibin, place whole or cut up patties in a jar and cover with brine (1 cup warm water to 2

tablespoons kosher salt; bring to room temperature or chill before covering the cheese with it).

UTC -5 hours
    • Here is a mascarpone recipe, with photos, and explanations, at David Fankhauser's cheese site. His site is my favorite on cheese-making.

I make mine the same way, using the lemon juice method, but I don't drain mine.

UTC -5 hours

The post was edited 1 time, last by Serena ().