Low Carb Dips

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Low Carb Dips

I will start with these ideas from Better Homes and Gardens.

These are ideas for a basic sour scream dip which look really good, will only put down the low carb ones!

Sour Cream Dip

250g Cream Cheese
      250g Sour Cream

Beat until fluffy and then add other ingredients to taste, some ideas:

Avocado: Add diced avocado, red onion and garlic salt (or fresh garlic and salt?)

Bacon: Crumbled, cooked bacon, blue cheese and finely chopped celery.

Cucumber:
      Diced ucumber, tomato and fresh coriander.

Hard Boiled Eggs: Chopped boiled eggs with, fresh dill and lemon pepper.

Peanuts: Chopped peanuts with thai chilli sauce (fresh chilli?) and lemon juice .

Spinach: Finely diced Spinach, fresh Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper.

Strawberries: Sliced fresh strawberries, strawberry jam and mint.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

What about cucumber sticks? We do have a low carb cracker thread.

Also I think you could probably use the dips as stuffings, like stuffed tomato or mushrooms.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Sherrie wrote:

I will start with these ideas from Better Homes and Gardens.

These are ideas for a basic sour scream dip which look really good, will only put down the low carb ones!

Sour Cream Dip

250g Cream Cheese
      250g Sour Cream

Beat until fluffy and then add other ingredients to taste, some ideas:

Avocado: Add diced avocado, red onion and garlic salt (or fresh garlic and salt?)

Bacon: Crumbled, cooked bacon, blue cheese and finely chopped celery.

Cucumber:
      Diced ucumber, tomato and fresh coriander.

Hard Boiled Eggs: Chopped boiled eggs with, fresh dill and lemon pepper.

Peanuts: Chopped peanuts with thai chilli sauce (fresh chilli?) and lemon juice .

Spinach: Finely diced Spinach, fresh Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper.

Strawberries: Sliced fresh strawberries, strawberry jam and mint.

HI, Im going to a party saturday and i have to make a dip! how many egss would you use for the egg dip?:confused:

Annette
      When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.
      Helen Keller

Annette if it was me I would probably boil 4 to 6 and add them in going by consistency I guess and eat any remaining boiled eggs or boil more :)

I always wind up using more boiled eggs then recipes usually suggest.

:D thanks sherrie, i think i better use 6 or so coz im bound to or hubby will eat some;) i will post how i like it after sat night and if i tweek the recipe

Annette
      When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.
      Helen Keller

Here are some more ideas.

Chilli Cream Cheese Dip
      Serves 4
      Per serve:

* Grams of carbohydrate - 2
      * Grams of protein - 5

Ingredients:

* 250g cream cheese
      * 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
      * sprinkle of chilli powder

Method:

1. Mix all ingredients, adding enough chilli to give the dip some kick.

Low Carb Tzatziki
      recipe image
      Serves 6
      Per serve:

* Grams of carbohydrate - 2
      * Grams of protein - 2

Ingredients:

* 200g whole milk natural yoghurt
      * 2 teaspoons virgin olive oil
      * 50g cucumber, very finely diced
      * 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
      * salt to taste

Method:

1. Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate.
      Spicy LC Dip
      Serves 4
      Per serve:

* Grams of carbohydrate - 10
      * Grams of protein - 25

Ingredients:

* 250g cream cheese
      * 4 tablespoons Empower Foods LC Sweet & Sour Sauce
      * Pinch chilli powder

Method:

1. Allow cream cheese to soften at room temperature.
      2. Mix through the Empower Foods LC Sweet & Sour Sauce and chilli powder to taste.
    • Curry Dip

This this the best dip, no special recipe just mix in your favourite curry paste into some cream cheese to taste. I bought some home made Indian curry paste from a farmers market in the Barossa and this is how the lady was offering it to people to try, it was really nice and Maya loves it even though she's not used to spicy foods.

This is a recipe that I used to make before LC days. Not sure on carb counts, but looks pretty LC to me.

Chilli Cheese Dip

2tblsp Jalapenos - chopped (more or less depending on how hot you like it)
      3 cloves garlic - chopped or crushed
      1 tblsp olive oil or butter
      250g cream cheese - in 3cm cubes
      1/2 cup cream
      1 cup grated tasty cheese
      1/2 jar salsa or taco sauce (or you can make your own)

Fry jalapenos and garlic in the olive oil in a saucepan for about 2-3 mins.
      Reduce heat to fairly low.
      Add the cream and cream cheese, beating with a wire whisk until it has melted, then add the salsa/taco sauce. Lastly beat in the tasty cheese until it has melted. Serve warm. Sooo yum!!! :D

Apart from using as a dip, this is really good on chicken breast or steak. If you like it spicier, you could also add chilli powder. Enjoy.
    • Low Carb Dip Ideas

Hi there

I found these in last month’s Super Food Ideas recipe (I have a subscription) and think these could work for Low Carb also.

I haven’t tried any yet, and haven’t worked out any counts as I don't have all the ingredients here to be able to work out what cup measures work out to as weights to be able to look them up on the food standards database.

According to the mag, all these recipes make about 2 cups of dip. Not sure what a serve would be, probably ¼ cup?

Anyway, I just thought I would share. Some of them may need de-carbing once I work out the counts... I will try and come back and edit to update when I can.

Sundried Tomato & Ricotta Dip
      300g (1.5c) reduced fat ricotta cheese
      ¼ cup sundried tomatoes finely chopped
      2T finely chopped basil leaves
      1T toasted pine nuts
      1T olive oil

Place cheese, tomatoes, basil, nuts & half oil in bowl. Mash well with fork. Serve drizzled with remaining oil.

Creamy Corn Relish Dip
      ½ cup corn relish
      300ml light sour cream
      1.5T chopped fresh chives

Place relish, sour cream and 1T chives in bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Serve sprinkled with remaining chives.

Sweet Chilli Cream Cheese Dip
      250g light cream cheese
      2 green onions finely chopped
      1T chopped coriander leaves
      ¼ cup sweet chilli sauce
      Thinly sliced green onions to serve

Place cheese, chopped onion, coriander and sweet chilli sauce in food processor. Process until combined. Transfer to bowl. Drizzle with remaining sauce and sprinkle with sliced onions.

Avocado Dip
      3 medium Avocados
      ½ small red onion finely chopped
      2T lemon juice
      1/2t Tabasco sauce
      chopped coriander to serve

Place avocado in bowl. Mash with fork until almost smooth. Add onion, lemon juice and Tabasco. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Top with coriander. Serve immediately.

Creamy Tuna & Caper Dip
      250g light cream cheese
      185g can tuna, drained
      ½ cup light whole egg mayonnaise
      1/4c chopped flat leaf parsley
      ¼ cup drained capers
      1T lemon juice

Place all ingredients into food processor. Process until just smooth.
      Start Weight 109.1 @ 18/10/10 ~~~ Current Weight 105.6 @ 25/11/10
      To lose 9.2kg and to be under 100kg! --> 3.5kg gone, 5.7kg left!

Thanks for these recipes - I'm going to a bbq in a couple of weeks, and have been looking for a dip recipe to make and take.

I plan on taking some cucumber to dip in, but also am going to make some ground linseed crackers. I've made this really thin and crispy before, so I think it'll make a great cracker. For those who don't know the recipe (and all credit to JustJoanna who first brought this to my attention), it's so easy - 50g ground linseed, 1 beaten egg, a dash of salt and a dash of splenda. Mix all together, and spread out on bake-proof paper. To get mine thin enough, I put another sheet of baking paper over the top, and roll it out to cracker thickness, about 2mm (too thin and it'll just break up when you try to load it with dip). For crackers, I score mine into cracker size and shape. Bake at 180C for about 20 mins. I really don't mind the taste, even on it's own, it's quite mild (not like LSA crackers - yuk!).