Blackberry and pistachio clafoutis with pistachio ice cream

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Blackberry and pistachio clafoutis with pistachio ice cream

Anyone want to have a go at making an LC version of this, it looks so good, you should see the photo for it!

I found it in the Gourmet Traveller Magazine when I was eye-ing of the mango cheesecake on the front cover :)

Blackberry and pistachio clafoutis with pistachio ice-cream

Some preparation needs to be done a day ahead, serves 6

Clafoutis

3 egg yolks
      2 whole eggs
      300g blackberries
      100g roughly chopped pistachios
      70g ground pistachios
      250ml thickened cream
      100g caster sugar (volume equivalent of splenda? remember splenda weighs less then sugar so need to measure out 100g of sugar, I imagine it is just under 1/4 cup)
      10g or 3 teaspoons of plain flour (hmm its only 10g, maybe if intolerant replace with more nut flour?)

Pistachio Ice cream

6 egg yolks
      250ml milk (cream? half/half?)
      250ml pouring cream
      90g caster sugar (splenda or erythritol/xylitol?)
      10ml kirsch (omit?)
      40gm pistachio paste (recipe says to process 100g shelled pistachio with 1 20ml TBS glucose (splenda?) 4 drops queen food colouring (omit) and 1/4tsp almond essence until paste forms.)

Make ice cream day ahead, combine and whist milk, cream and paste in a saucepan until dissolved then gently bring to boil.

Whisk egg yolks and sugar until creamy and pale. Slowly pour over cream/milk mixture, combine with whisk and then pour into a clean saucepan. Stirring constantly cook over medium heat until custard thickly coats back of spoon (about 10 mins). Place a metal bowl over another bowl filled with ice, with a fine sieve, strain custard into the metal bowl and cool completely.

Add kirsch if using then cover and place in fridge for at least 12 hours to develop the flavours. Freeze in an icecream machine (bah) until needed.

Next clafoutis

Whisk together cream, egg yolks and whole eggs until well combined, then add sugar, ground pistachio and flour then rest for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 180C

Light Grease 6 shallow 1 cup oval shaped ramekins and dust with sugar (substitute), portion out blackberries amongst the ramekins and then pour over the batter and scatter with chopped pistachios.

Bake for 12-15mins or until golden and fluffy and creamy in the centre.

Cool slightly for around 5 minutes then with a scoop of ice cream.

MMmmmmm
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.