Cauliflower dough - low carb pizza

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Cauliflower dough - low carb pizza

Yup you read that right, Cleo whom has become famous for her Oopsie Rolls LOL has now made up another low carb pizza base using Cauliflower... anyone game to try it? ;) She also has a Zucchini pizza base version: Zucchini Crust

Here's the original recipe:

I Can't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust!

You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower*
      1 egg
      1 cup mozzarella cheese
      1/2tsp fennel
      1 tsp oregano
      2 tsp parsley

pizza or alfredo sauce
      toppings (make sure meats are cooked)
      mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees farenheit (230 C).

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

Place under a broiler (grill for the Europeans) at high heat just until cheese is melted **.

Notes:

*I use frozen cauliflower prepared according to package directions. After cooked and slightly cooled, I shred cauliflower with a cheese grater, and then measure for the recipe. (Don't pack down the cup with cauliflower. Just fill it with a spoon or the cup itself.)

** You can try re-baking the pizza at 450 once you add toppings if desired, but the crust is not quite as crusty. There is a minimal difference, so see what works best for you.

On that same link you will find her Super Veggie Supreme variation.

Next she not only makes another pizza variation but garlic bread too!!!

Her great blog has gone :(

Continuation on a theme.... and Cauliflower as bread sticks?! (cheesey garlic bread)

and last but not least lasagne!

Cauliflower as Lasagna?

Look out for more!

Cauliflower "Dough" Lasagna Roll-Ups

Roasted Vegetable Pizza on Cauliflower Crust

She also has a low carb taco shell recipe using either cauliflower or zucchini, whichever you prefer: Low Carb Taco Shells

So who's game to have a try? Please share your variations and I will add here!

Zedgirl's Pizza
      [IMG:http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/Zedgirl/Cauliflower-dough.jpg]

Janal's Low Carb Flatbread, with tomato, olive and capsicum

Jeni's Tomato, Basil Rocket and Parmesan Pizza

Prothvar - Cauliflower Dough Lasagne Sheets (no pic, if you give it a try please share pic so I can add)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: add ().

• Re: Cauliflower dough

Okay I did the cauliflower lasagna tonight. I used cottage cheese instead of ricotta, and I used twice as much cauliflower mixture because I had that much, and also I used a 9x9 pan. And it was really good, Darrin who normally doesn't like cheese on cauliflower went back for more, and if I still had room I'd have the rest. I cut it in quarters and only had one bit. It's pretty filling. And I'll definitely make it again :)

If she ever writes a book I'd love to read it - she has a great sense of humour. I was reading one of her blogs about the chicken nuggets (printed out the recipe - Cailin is a chicken nugget expert, rates them everywhere we go:)) and one of the comments starts having a go at her for eating deep fried stuff and no vegies - her responses were brilliant. So concise, no narky stuff and got her point across brilliantly.
      Step away from the chippies, and no-one gets hurt...

Jodi :p

When I made my cauliflower I boiled it until it was cooked and then I cooled it - then I grated it. Mine came out more 'mushed' than 'riced' but thats because my grater is fairly fine. The pizza base cooked up well, added my toppings and chucked it under a griller. The base is soft but you can still handle it without it falling apart - for flavour it gets 100% thumbs up. Compared to the oopsie roll pizza? I think the oopsie roll held it together a bit better. That said next time I am cooking my cauli in advance and maybe for a little less time so it is firmer. I will let it dry out completely before I use a coarse grater to grate it.

My bread sticks are absolutely delicious - but again I think my dough mix was too wet so I had trouble cutting them and getting them on the tray without breaking. Once they were re-baked with the garlic salt and cheese topping they are holding really well.

YUM what a lunch! :D

I thought you made the "cauliflower rice" - grated raw cauliflower then nuked it. Am I supposed to be aiming for a "mash" consistency or rice consistency? Damn, I'm so hungry...

How the hell do you grate cooked cauliflower??? Oh well - I'm staying away from the kitchen for a few days - everything I've made today has been shite. Must be those bloody hormones again, and the 42 degree heat doesn't help!! I'll play around with this on the weekend I think. Thanks PV. :)

I gave it a try tonight.

I 'mashed' the cooked cauliflower with a fork, but left it kind of 'ricey' (I'm not sure what 'riced' actually means, but logically I figure it means 'like rice' right?).

It's yum, but it certainly didn't get pizza-base like. I think it was a little chunky, and I didn't flatten it out enough. It stuck together ok, but was pretty soft.

I certainly couldn't have picked up a piece with my fingers.

Jodester wrote:

How the hell do you grate cooked cauliflower??? Oh well - I'm staying away from the kitchen for a few days - everything I've made today has been shite. Must be those bloody hormones again, and the 42 degree heat doesn't help!! I'll play around with this on the weekend I think. Thanks PV. :)

I have only ever grated it raw to make fried rice
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Test kitchen is up and running again today LOL

So I cooked my cauli until it was *just* softening - turned it off, drained it and left it a few hours to cool. This time when I grated it, it riced. Made the pizza base and rather than topping it and grilling it right away I let the base cool on an cooling rack so that it didnt sweat at all. When I re-bake it for the pizza tonight I will let you know how it held up but so far it is looking really sturdy :)

Next up was the lasagne. First of all I tried cleos way where you spread the raw cauli mix with with your fingers straight onto the sauce then I had a big ole brainwave and I made another batch of the cauli dough and I spread it out relatively thinly on a baking tray and am currently baking my 'pasta sheets' When they are cooked and cooled I am going to cut them up and use them for the lasagne layers. Will let you know how it turns out :) will even try to get some pictures.