Pinned Do you have Diabetes? Come say Hello here!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Do you have Diabetes? Come say Hello here!

Never thought of that - it could though I suppose. I don't really know 'cause I don't have the bits anymore:p Still have the ovaries though so it could still be hormonal.

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wBNvBCc/weight.png]

"The most important person to be honest with is yourself"

Record it and keep an eye out for a pattern. Who knows maybe you can still ovulate every now and again, can you?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Hello to all. Have just read all your posts and decided to say Hello. I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes Type 2 and started a low carb diet when I found out. I have lost 7 kgs so far but still have a long way to go. I also have the option of going in for lap banding but am having a terrible time deciding if I want to go ahead with it. I am on Meds and keeping my sugar levels reasonable although they do rise a bit after the evening meal and are usually higher in the mornings. I would like to join in the discussions and learn more about how to control my weight and hopfully reverse the diabetes. Thanks for sharing all this valuable information.

Welcome Janal :)

Wait and see how you go with low carb before making any decisions on the lap band, low carb may be all you need :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Welcome Janal,

Give us a bit more info on your meds, your current BS and A1c readings, your diet, exercise ... the whole shebang! You will get plenty of advice and support here.:)
      Started LC (PP) Dec 2003
      114/86.5/85
      BF 30+/17/15

Thanks to all for your warm welcome. :)
      The Dr put me on diaformin 500 Mg a day. I started them and then I stopped because I wanted to see if I could control the diabetes with LC diet. I wasn't doing to bad actually but then the Nurse I was talking to explained to me that the tabs would actually help me loose weight and help protect the insulin producing cells I still have working. So back on the tablets I went.
      Dr sent me for blood test and the HBA1c before Medication & Diet was 15.5 so I'm looking forward to the next one to see what it has dropped to.
      Following a LC diet but not at the induction stage, I've been a bit more lenient with myself in the hope that I won't get fed up and quit. I've had a lot of stuff going on lately and I'm up to my neck with doctors and tests. Exercise is a problem for me, I lack motivation and have yet to find something that I like doing. I do love to walk along the waterfront at D'Bay where 1 of my daughters live but I only go there once a week. Use to love dancing, I did ballroom 14 yrs ago on a competition level and trained 5 times a week, then my life fell apart with the death of my eldest daughter at 18 years old. It's been all downhill from then. When I was training I was about 72 - 75 kg the lightest I've ever been. Even back then I was looked at as being to heavy in the dancing fraternity (I'm 163 Cm tall) I think it would be unrealistic to aim for that level at the moment but am hoping to get to 80 kg. I started at 104kg down now to 97kg, I'm not feeling too bad about the dieting and I've excepted that my life has again changed and sugar is no longer on the list - Build a bridge so to speak. I'm not the shopper or the cook in my home my darling hubby is. Most of my battle is trying to educate him as well as myself and trying to find products that seem so abundant overseas. I really need a good protein drink that tastes like iced coffee at the moment so if anyone can point me in the right direction that would help. I look forward to getting to know you all. Cheers

OK - well the priorities as I see them are to;

1. Educate your husband - not just because he is the cook (lucky you) but because you will do much better with his support, and, whether or not he needs to lose weight or has blood sugar issues of his own, you will both be much healthier on a low carb diet. Would he read a book? The diabetic bible is Dr Bernstein's book you may have seen mentioned before - diabetes-normalsugars.com/ . Atkins and the Eades are also good texts and both will cover the dangers of leaving elevated blood sugar (and insulin) untreated, and explain how easy it is to regain control through diet.

2. Test yourself - yes it is great to get regular A1c tests to track your progress and keep you accountable, but you need to keep track of the day to day, and pre and post meal fluctuations to see for yourself how particular foods affect you (it isn't just sugar!:p). When you say your BS is "up a bit" in the evenings and the mornings, what sort of numbers are we talking about? Do you feel like posting some menus for us to jump on??:eek::)

3. Your nurse is sort of half right (not bad!). Diaformin (Metformin) is the drug of choice if you are going to take one - it does help improve insulin sensitivity (which explains her comment on weight loss and also burning out overworked insulin producing cells) ... BUT ... a real low carb diet does both of these things ... better! I'm not suggesting you should throw your pills away - the number one thing is to get you blood sugar back down to healthier levels, but as soon as you feel like you can do that on your own, you need to talk to your GP about cutting back or cutting medication out completely.

4. Exercise too will help (like a low carb diet - it helps long before significant weight loss occurs) - so maybe a few more of those walks? There is plenty of choice in Sydney. How about getting back into some kind of dancing? Doesn't have to be competitive - anything that you enjoy is more likely to be a long term change.

Finally, no motivation? Sky high blood sugar is damaging your health - but you can change that, and when you do, you will be able to enjoy the rest of your (longer) life in ways it may be hard to imagine now. Surely that is motivating enough?
      Started LC (PP) Dec 2003
      114/86.5/85
      BF 30+/17/15

Really sorry about your daughter :(

I remember, Goliath brand used to have a coffee flavour shake that was ok.

What about dancing at home?

Thanks Malcolm & Sherrie.:D
      When I was 1st diagnosed I was doing my BS all the time, but lately I have slackened off & trying not to be to obsessive about it. So just letting you know why there's not a lot of readings of late.
      Just done my bedtime BS at 7.1 My morning was 7.8
      Yesterday only one test at 7.7 and previous tests are
      7.4 / 7.9 / 6.5 / 8.6 / 6.9 / 5.7 / 6.3 / 7.8 / 6.7 / 7.1 / 7.5 / 6.5 / 6.4 / 6.2
      Average on last 30 days is 7.0
      I would also like to add that the different times I've been to the doctors or hospital over the last month when they test me with there equipment it's usually 1 whole point below what my meter reads. So my meter will say 7 and there's is 6. I need to go and get my meter calibrated.

Mainly eating scrambled eggs in morning, sometimes Bacon & fried eggs
      Lunch - ham salad or if the refectory has a hot stewy type dish that doesn't look to bad I'll have that instead - strogonoff or something similar
      Dinner is usually meat (steak, pork, lamb or chicken) and hubby will usually serve it with a cheese stuffed tomato, or garlicy buttery fried Broccoli, cauliflower type mix or asparagus. No starchy veges at all.
      I'm always looking for sweets after dinner and have satisfied it with em-power Low Carb muffin mix that I made up, Jelly lite and cream. Today I made a cheesecake that I found on another thread from here. It was great.
      For snacks I've been eating brought pork crackle or a raw carrot and also trying a LC Choc Chip type biscuit that I bought from the place where I got the Em-power mix. I drink normal coffee in the morning with a splash of milk and splenda, soda water, water, occasional diet soft drink, and my weakness Nescafe cappuccino skim (I may have this maybe 4 to 5 times per week):eek:
      I know there a few nasties in there but am hoping to correct them eventually. I will go back to testing more often as well. Thanks for the support.:D

Sounds like you are doing pretty well - especially if your meter isn't accurate! - are the strips new? Anyway, as you say your next A1c will be interesting - something around your average of 6 would be a great start (although we know you can get down into the low 5s at least!:p) Speaking of which, you may have seen in the news, details of the latest ADVANCE study being done by largely Australian researchers - basically using drugs, drugs and maybe insulin as well to get 2 symptoms (BG and blood pressure) down a bit. Well apparently they think it is cutting edge science to aim for an A1c of 6.5 !:eek: (previously the best they thought they could expect was somewhere in the 7s:rolleyes:. Is it any wonder with a pitiful target like that (achieved with a cocktail of insulin and drugs - the main one being used Gliclazide (Diamicron) stimulates the secretion of even more insulin ...) their results were underwhelming at least!:( But they seem pretty happy they haven't killed any more people than the control group (something a similar study - ACCORD - found).

Aren't you glad you picked the right option?:)
      Started LC (PP) Dec 2003
      114/86.5/85
      BF 30+/17/15

Hi Malcolm and thanks.
      I am getting so frustrated with buying products and then finding out I've chosen the wrong one. I was just doing a little research on IsoWhey after buying it yesterday afternoon, I came across another thread saying it's not so good with the sweetner in it. I only started it today, do you think it's going to put my BS up or will the low GI factor help to keep BS level?
      Thanks

Janal you aren't planning to replace breakfast and lunch with them are you? I'd imagine a VLCD like that would be worse for someone with diabetes?

Hi Sherrie, No didn't plan on going to hard on this stuff. I was planning to use it as a subsitute for Optifast Coffee shake which I really love but can't really have now because it's carb count is to high :(
      Thought I'd be able to flavor the IsoWhey with coffee & a little cream.
      Also I'd love to get one of those count down thingy's that I see at the bottom of threads, are they easy to setup. Thanks

Yes, who was that spoilsport? ;)

Zylitol will definitely put your BS up. The question is how much and when? (many diabetics find the BS rise comes well after 2 hours which the GI fanatics suggest isn't relevant for some reason (they stop testing at 2 hours ... and they don't test on diabetics or anyone with impaired glycemic response anyway :rolleyes:)

If I were you, at least while you are trying to get things under control, I'd shy away from "products" - if you want to make an iced coffee protein shake, get yourself some unflavoured WPI, add coffee, cream, ice cubes and a sweetener such as Splenda (if needed) and zap with a Bamix or similar!:) When you have your BS under control you can then experiment a bit more with one product at a time to see how you respond.
      Started LC (PP) Dec 2003
      114/86.5/85
      BF 30+/17/15

Thanks Malcolm, Sounds like good advice. I suppose I've gotten to the stage where I'm trying to find some varity I've been dieting for about 5 weeks.
      "Unflavoured WPI" ??? is this something I can get from a health store?

:p Not wanting to bore you all to death but just wanted to check in my readings to get your views.
      Monday Morning 6.8 Bedtime 6.7
      Tuesday Morning 6.9, 8pm - 6.9, 9.30pm - 6.9 then at bedtime I was 7.4
      Wednesday Morning 7.5, 10am 7.7 (Had the IsoWhey at 8am) 11.30am 6.6, 3.30pm 7.5, 7pm 7.2 :confused:
      Although my 1st morning test was 7.5 my BS seems to be staying up today. I'm wondering if it's the IsoWhey:confused:
      Also I tested a friend on Tuesday evening who swears she only had a beef soup for dinner and she was 9.2 :eek: I was just wondering if normal people have these kind of high readings or should she be thinking about a visit to the doctor.

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

janal wrote:

Thanks Malcolm, Sounds like good advice. I suppose I've gotten to the stage where I'm trying to find some varity I've been dieting for about 5 weeks.
      "Unflavoured WPI" ??? is this something I can get from a health store?

Probably;) Sorry I don't shop at 'health' stores much these days as much of what they push is anything but. I get mine online from Myopure - very helpful and efficient.

Not wanting to bore you all to death but just wanted to check in my readings to get your views.
      Monday Morning 6.8 Bedtime 6.7
      Tuesday Morning 6.9, 8pm - 6.9, 9.30pm - 6.9 then at bedtime I was 7.4
      Wednesday Morning 7.5, 10am 7.7 (Had the IsoWhey at 8am) 11.30am 6.6, 3.30pm 7.5, 7pm 7.2 :confused:
      Although my 1st morning test was 7.5 my BS seems to be staying up today. I'm wondering if it's the IsoWhey:confused:
      Also I tested a friend on Tuesday evening who swears she only had a beef soup for dinner and she was 9.2 :eek: I was just wondering if normal people have these kind of high readings or should she be thinking about a visit to the doctor.

I think the first priority is to get your meter properly calibrated - if your friend really does have a reading of 9.2 after nothing but beef soup she should certainly do a proper fasting test with her doctor or better a GTT. Your readings aren't great, but that is on your meter ... so get that sorted, ok?:p
      Started LC (PP) Dec 2003
      114/86.5/85
      BF 30+/17/15