Pinned Do you have Diabetes? Come say Hello here!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Do you have Diabetes? Come say Hello here!

Morning All,

I am pre-diabetic, type 2 at the moment and really want to try to lose weight so I don't end up as diabetic. I will be 3rd or 4th generation diabetic if I don't change things. I am doing bodytrim and it is working well, I have not been having carbs with breakfast- only on a couple of days. I was diagnosed pre diabetic in January and have been trying the blood type diet which is low carb for my type and then the shakes low carb diet and nothing was happening so now I am doing BT and I am really happy to see the number on the scales dropping. :) I need to lose lots of weight but am determined.

Lou

Thanks Shez,

I am wondering about talking to my Mum about this, she has late onset Db as well and has lost heaps of weight in the last 12 months, she only has 1 or 2 kg to go, but she is so urging me to have all the carbs she has used and the diabetic educators also say cards are essential. I really feel that this is the way for me to go but am feeling a bit alone in my thinking here- so i am thrilled to have found this forum.

Lou

Hi Lou,
      Eating carbs for a diabetic is the same as eating a lump of sugar.
      LC eating will bring the diabetes under control. It's a low GI diet. :D (the best)
      It's great that your Mum has lost all her weight and it's something you can keep in the back of your mind. If you feel LC is a better way for you to eat and improve your health than you go with it.
      I believe LC is the better way but that's just my opinion and their's a whole world out there that will have different opinions, in the end it's a lifestyle choice and I'd rather feel full & satisfied than low calorie and hungry.

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

That is probably the difference between doing it the "accepted" way and doing it the low carb way.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Hi my name is Alison and I have Type 2 Diabetes

I was diagnosed 18 months ago and 'controlled' (not) it with diet and exercise. For 6 years I have had a numb foot that eventually became both feet and it was progressing. Reminded my GP of this at a visit as it was concerning me and nerve conduction tests were inconclusive so she sent me to an endocrinologist last October 2008.

Straight away he put me on Metformin 500g twice a day as my morning BGL were 6.3 and under and he said that was the cause of my peripheral neuropathy and most likely my level of alcohol consumption (extremely high) had caused this whole mess.

He told me to lose 15 kgs and 20 cms from waist. He said 'No Carbs". Short story is I really found out what 'no carbs' meant and by the time I returned to him after 6 months(yesterday) I had lost 13 kgs and about 10 cms. So I have more to go. Just 6 weeks ago I found the Atkins Diabetes Revolution book at a Lifeline Book Sale for $4! It is basically what I had been doing but now there were recipes and factual information. I gave up alcohol totally as I cannot just have 1 1/2 glasses of white wine a week!

Armed with this info I began cutting down the Metformin, BP meds and had already stopped the cholesterol meds after 11 days due to unacceptable side effects. When I saw the Endo I had stopped everything and told him this. He accepted what I had done surprisingly as my GP said he would not be supportive with the metformin issue! He did however say my cholesterol was now 5.6 so back onto a new statin. Very puzzling as 7 weeks ago my GP's test had put me at 4.4 down from 4.6 six months ago. My HbA1cs have always been great like 5.6. My neuropathy continues to creep up my legs. More tests ahead for this.

Read up on the new statin and I like it even less than the first. Is it likely that the result was incorrect as I have not changed anything dietwise in those 7 weeks?

I love the new me and want to be medication free asap? Any one help me here?:confused:

Now I am not a doctor etc but in my personal opinion if it was me I would avoid ANY and ALL statins. Did you know that apparently a benefit for women taking statins has yet to be shown?

High cholesterol is not a disease in itself but rather a symptom of something else, your body makes its own cholesterol to process hormones etc and thus women typically have higher cholesterol. When you lose weight, your fat cells release stored hormones and your body has to make extra cholesterol to cope, this can raise your cholesterol levels temporarily, medications heck even stress and coffee can raise your cholesterol levels.

High cholesterol is very often a symptom of hypothyroidism. On the other side of the coin, low cholesterol is associated with depression.

Also with cholesterol we need to break it down into the types, total cholesterol is not very useful.

In the low carb living section there is a thread stickied with links to some good low carb articles, in there you will find some good ones on cholesterol. Important Low Carb Articles
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

I don't have a diabetes but my friend's dad have. Actually his dad has been amputated 2 weeks ago. His middle toe was removed to avoid spreading and infections. I'm just really wondering what can I also recommend to my friend regarding his father? I mean what they should do etc?

Is he following a low carb diet? if not he should be but under doctors supervision at first as his need for the meds may reduce substantially which could lead to problems if he doesn't make changes to his meds. Plenty of info in this section to get you started.

Do you know if he is a type 1 or type 2 diabetic ?
      Either way he should be on a low carb diet.
      Follow Sherrie's advise, lots of information on here.

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd jump in and say hi! I'm a new kid on the block, diagnosed with diabetes T2 about three years ago, supposedly diet controlled...but we all know what happens there, don't we? My Dad had it, my Mum has it, and two out of four of us have it. I weighed 78 kgs four weeks ago, now 73.4 which is a minor miracle.

I decided a few weeks ago that the weight not only needed to come down, that it WOULD come down. Started looking for the quickest way to do it. Although I'm 50 in about two weeks, i'd never had to seriously think about shedding kilos before. So went the standard low fat, high carb way but felt absolutely lousy. My latest Hb1AC was 6.7 about eight weeks ago.

My local doctor has been very supportive. The original doctor who diagnosed me gave me very little information, told me well your Dad had it so you know all about it, stay away from sugar and was extremely unhelpful. I didn't even know that the NDSS existed and that I could buy the test strips for teh BSL machine once I registered. When I decided to lose the kilos I went on an information gathering rampage, changed docs and got a great doc in my local area who is overjoyed that one of her patients actually wants to help herself. Got on the NDSS scheme and bought a BSL machine. Well, you can fool yourself, but the strips don't lie.

The LFHC Diet was making me very sick, with huge BSL spikes. Switched to Atkins and it has dropped fantastically. I'm sitting at around 6 most of the time, which I reckon has to be a gift from God after just two days. And food! OMG how do we eat all this great food! AND I feel fantastic. I'm looking forward to letting you all know about the kilos as they come off!:)

Hi Peeps
      First of all "Hi" to all, it just keeps getting better. I have only just scratched the surface of this site, and happily I find there are many many people who 1/ believe as I do that "Modern medical science" has not got a good grasp on the causes or cure for Type 2 diabetes. And 2/ people here are basically doing the opposite to the recommended diabetic diet and living a lot healthier life without meds or the common side effects of both the disease and the drugs.
      All this time I thought I was being a real rebel and I find now that using common sense and staying away from the medical "System" that I’ve come to the same conclusions as a lot of other people.
      I actually eat a high (saturated :eek:) fat diet with very few carbs and at 52 I feel better than I have in my whole life. It took me some time to get my head straight with the changes and to stop feeling "guilty" but now I feel guilty if I eat any polyunsaturated oil, and I don't think it hurts me to go without a meal rather than eat to something that I believe is not good for me.
      Anyhow, good to come in contact with you all.:D

Hello

I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes now for 18mths and have been having a time of it controlling it. I managed to get my levels down to 7.2, but my latest results today have me back up to 8.4
      I'm not getting anywhere with this and have been trying to find a better solution.
      Can anyone tell me what the difference between the atkins diet and Dr Bernstein's diet.
      Also has anyone any information on elotin and januvia

thanks