Chicken & Vegetable Soup

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Chicken & Vegetable Soup

I can't remember where I found this recipe, but I love this in winter. It's quite an unusual version of chicken & vegie soup, but it's delicious. You can pretty much add, or substitute, whatever low-carb vegies you prefer. The dried fennel adds an unusual taste to this recipe - you could probably leave it out if you don't like fennel.

CHICKEN & VEGETABLE SOUP

5 (or however many you like) chicken thigh fillets
      ½ cup chopped onions
      1 cup chopped celery
      Bacon (however much you like)
      500 ml cream (see Note below)
      1 teaspoon bottled garlic (or minced fresh if you prefer)
      1 litre chicken stock (make your own, or you can buy the prepackaged variety by Campbells, etc - just check carb counts)
      1 teaspoon dried fennel
      1¼ cup fresh coriander
      1 bottle artichoke hearts
      2 tablespoons (or to taste) capers
      2 cups spinach (or chopped zucchini)
      ¼ cup green onions
      1 cup red or white wine (whichever you prefer - you could probably substitute this with 1 cup of water if you prefer, however, I like the richness that the wine adds)

Cook chicken and bacon for a few minutes in olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer) in a large Dutch oven or soup-sized saucepan. Add celery and onion and cook for a minute or two. Add all other ingredients (except cream) and cook for a few hours. A few minutes before serving, add cream and gently heat.

I'm not 100% sure what the carb count is on this as it will vary depending on what vegies you use, however, this recipe makes quite a lot of soup, and I think the carb count per bowl would be fairly reasonable. You really need to check the carb counts on the pre-packaged chicken stock (i.e. Campbells, etc). I imagine you could lower the carb count quite a bit if you made your own chicken stock.

*NOTE: The cream is a nice touch, however, I don't really think it's all that necessary - sometimes I add it, and sometimes I don't. Experiment to see what you prefer. I also prefer to add the coriander a few minutes before serving.

Cheers,
      Sue :)