pet foods and raw food to avoid vet bills

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• pet foods and raw food to avoid vet bills

I am going to start a brand new thread about pet food because you are probably not the only one who would love to save on expensive vet bills by feeding your pets healthy diets - right?

api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1

that meat by-products ingredient on the labels of the cat food are a worry

to quote:

What Happened to the Nutrients?

Cooking and other processing of meat and by-products used in pet food can greatly diminish their nutritional value, although cooking increases the digestibility of cereal grains and starchy vegetables.

To make pet food nutritious, pet food manufacturers must “fortify” it with vitamins and minerals. Why? Because the ingredients they are using are not wholesome, their quality may be extremely variable, and the harsh manufacturing practices destroy many of the nutrients the food had to begin with.

Proteins are especially vulnerable to heat, and become damaged, or “denatured,” when cooked. Because dry foods ingredients are cooked twice — first during rendering and again in the extruder — problems are much more common than with canned or homemade foods. Altered proteins may contribute to food intolerances, food allergies, and inflammatory bowel disease.

Additives in Processed Pet Foods

Many chemicals are added to commercial pet foods to improve the taste, stability, characteristics, or appearance of the food. Additives provide no nutritional value. Additives include emulsifiers to prevent water and fat from separating, antioxidants to prevent fat from turning rancid, and artificial colors and flavors to make the product more attractive to consumers and more palatable to their companion animals.

also read

The true horrors of pet food revealed: Prepare to be shocked by what goes into dog food and cat food

naturalnews.com/012647.html

also read this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_by-product

to quote

In many cases, by-product meals are derived from "4-D" meat sources[citation needed] — defined as food animals that have been rejected for human consumption because they were presented to the meat packing plant as "Dead, Dying, Diseased or Disabled."[citation needed] The quality of animal meat by-products also tends to be very inconsistent between batches.[citation needed]

Meat by-products are commonly found in lower-grade pet foods and even many of the larger name brands, including Science Diet (even their prescription diet product line), Purina (both Purina One and Purina Pro Plan), Iams and Eukanuba. Ingredients listed as "meat, beef, chicken, and/or poultry by-products" on pet food labels are not required to include actual meat, and "rendered meat" on labels can refer to any rendered mammal meat, including dogs and cats.[dubious – discuss][citation needed]

end of quote

so yes you are feeding your cat and dog dead cats and dogs when you buy pet food for them

and animals with euthenasia drugs in them and also flea collars - all of that goes in the pet food too - delicious?

what we feed our cats so they are so healthy?

we go really natural diet for our cats - we go to the pet food abbatoir in Laverton and buy a load of fresh meat killed that day - [$14-00 for 7 kilo]

when we lived in perth we found several pet food abbatoirs - one in Byford and one in Mundijong and there are others too

Laverton Pet Supplies. Leakes Road, Laverton VIC 3028. Phone: (03) 9369 2703 ...

and we freeze it in meal sized lots

when we feed our cats they get the raw meat with some raw eggs and maybe some sardines in tomato sauce for humans and we also buy chicken necks which they get raw and they swallow whole [think of the calclium they are getting in that!]

we also get them whitebait now and then - was so funny as some of our cats started dropping the whitebait into their drinking water and splashing about as tho to make the fish swim!!

they also get grass and no they dont only need that to throw up - it IS a nutritional need too [when I had my cats indoors only they started stealing the bunny's grass and never ever threw up so I know it is a nutritional need for them] and they also have access to catnip - lots of it and no it does not make them intoxicated but they do enjoy it.

about feeding cats raw food

cats.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/rawfooddiet.htm

I swear by a diet that approximates what my cats would be getting in the wild - I dont have many health problems and as I mentioned - one of my cats should already be dead - she was the mother-in-law's and all hers have died after incurring loads of vet bills and the one I have is healthy and is older than the ones that died [mother in law feeds cat food

oh and a word about annual vaccinations of animals - do some research first before you keep shelling out money for vaccinations

maxshouse.com/vaccine_induced_sarcoma.htm

I vaccinate my kittens and then do 1 booster at 1 year of age and thats all - no other vaccinations

read and research

nexusmagazine.com/index.php?

all the following are downloadable pdf's from

option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=24&Itemid=71

Junk Pet Food

Vaccine Dangers and Vested Interests hot!

I hope that helps some of you pet lovers out there :)

Someone has referred to Laverton Fresh Pet Meat Suppliers on Leakes Rd, Trugaina.
      They have been witnessed to heavily abuse and beat their horses whilst loading them onto the transport trucks after taking them from the sale yards, laughing at themselves and then once they've reached their Laverton destination they're brutally killed and dissected with use of chainsaws right in front of the alive horses to instill fear into them.
      The person who initiated this guttural inhumane practice on these poor horses name is George Marshall, a known absolute miscreant PIG!
      PLEASE REMOVE THAT POST FROM THE PERSON TALKING UP THAT HIGHLY CORRUPT COMPANY! :evil:
    • Re: pet foods and raw food to avoid vet bills

My ex's mum used to buy scraps from the butcher like sheep eyes etc for the dogs meals, they loved it and apparently it was all very cheap.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Excellent thread. I could not agree more. Our dogs only get raw meat or cooked chicken - some chicken necks and as a real treat they get osobuco bones and they love avocardo - they love Ybone steaks bones only prob you have to make sure bedroom door is shut or Fred hides it under the pillow.
      He is really cute - poor Wendy can't jump so she puts hers under the pillow in teh loung room. LOL
      Mind you they are well stripped of any yuck!
      Bron Doingit
      :)
      Now to maintain.....hard work! :D

DOINGIT wrote:

Excellent thread. I could not agree more. Our dogs only get raw meat or cooked chicken - some chicken necks and as a real treat they get osobuco bones and they love avocardo - they love Ybone steaks bones only prob you have to make sure bedroom door is shut or Fred hides it under the pillow.
      He is really cute - poor Wendy can't jump so she puts hers under the pillow in teh loung room. LOL
      Mind you they are well stripped of any yuck!

isnt that simply wonderful :)

and i bet yours are so healthy and that you dont often need the vet :)

Our cats haven't been to the vet since...probably two years ago?

Our younger one had a reaction to one of the vaccinations, I wasn't totally convinced at the time that it was the vaccine (because it was a hot day & we'd gone from hot to cold at the vet's office & back to hot again so quickly) but now I am. And in fact when I lived in the US we only ever got rabies shots for our cats, nothing else, and they never suffered for the lack of them. So we've pretty much decided we won't do any more for them or any future cats/dogs either. Or ourselves, but that's a different story ;)

They still haven't really worked out why some breeds bloat ... could be anxiety, a virus, etc ... there's a lot of theories out there & recommendations change all the time ... ie it used to be to soak their dry food so the stomach juices didn't make the dry food swell inside the stomach ... now they're saying don't soak it. They also used to say feed on a raised platform ... now they think that it can contribute to bloat .... it's really hard to work out what to do. I'd like to feed them natural, but am not willing to take the risk anymore.

They still get a treat of a chicken wing etc everynow & then, but it's not their staple diet like it used to be.

We even used to feed them processed vegies (raw) with their meat. It's a fantastic way of feeding them if your dog can tolerate it.
    • Have started to use some raw food with our animals, not for any of the reasons on the articles above (I block any links to naturalnews etc).

Have tended to use a good quality dry food with some tins of wet, but notice with a new kitten that she was always hungry and had runny poos (the litter really stank). I read the paperwork that came with her and whilst they did use some wet food, they also feed roo mince and chicken necks. So thought I would try the chicken necks. Growing up we used to feed our cats roo mince and ox heart along with some dry food.

The kitten is so much better with the chicken necks as part of her diet, she plays with them like she would a mouse before eating. I actually like it keeps her busy for 15 minutes +, as well as being good for her.
    • I’ve just stopped raw to see the difference as I worry about my daughter letting our dog lick her on the face etc.

I’m using a grain free one called stay loyal. So far I’ve noticed he poops a lot more.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.