Low Carb diet for someone who is not overweight

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb diet for someone who is not overweight

Hi

I have decided to try low carb dieting due to my constant craving for sugar but I am 168cm tall and weigh 52KG so not really overweight - should I follow a low carb diet, should I modify the diet in any way. Will the low carb diet maintain my weight or will I lose weight and just one more question - can I skip the induction period?

Thanks Catbird
    • Re: Low Carb diet for someone who is not overweight

Hey Catbird I would try it without induction.

Hmm you're not trying to lose weight, you could try starting at maintenance but I wonder if it would be better to start off more simple so you have a base and you can be sure to feel the health benefits of low carb and then experiment.

e.g. maintenance allows a bit of everything really where as to begin with you might want to avoid grains high carb veggies such as potato and sugar including high sugar fruit etc

Maybe you could start with moderate fruits and veggies such as carrots and stone fruits or maybe experiment with them first.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Hi Catbird,welcome, what a great position to be in, to be able to eat low carb for health and not have to worry about the scales..

I wouldn't worry about induction like Sherrie says, but you do need to break your carb addiction.. Eat whole fresh foods, giving all the whites, eg white bread, white rice, white pasta and spuds a miss, eat good fats eg olive oil, butter and leave the fat on the meat. Berries and nuts are good, and there are heaps of recipes in the recipe section to try..
      You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
      You grow old because you stop laughing.

Thanks for asking - I guess am going okay - but I tend to have a cheat day once a week where I eat things like chocolate and cakes - as I dont have weight to lose do you think this is okay and also should I be in ketosis if I dont have weight to lose and just one more question - I tend to not limit my intake of low carb salad and low carb vegetables but I am not eating any fruit? Let me know what you or others think please

No those days should be fine unless you feel they effect you negatively.

I wouldn't worry about ketosis, you just want to eat low enough that you feel good and your health improves. I would not bother counting salad or low carb veggies.

Fruits are up to you but berries, melons, lemons and lime are all low carb with most stones fruits also being moderately low, kiwis and passion fruit should also be okay.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

hi All,

I'm 157cm and 49kgs and I have been on a lowcarb lifestyle for pretty much 5 years, yoyo-ing between 48-51kgs depending on my moods.

What I do is just sort of stick to what is natural such as greens and meats (buttered beans with toasted almonds are just yum ) I find that I generally feel much healthier in terms of energy and vigour if I were to stick to low carbs such as proteins and veges, not too much on processed carbs and simple carbs like rice and pasta. I have been for a number of health checks over the years, and each time my cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure results comes back fantastic!

I follow the Atkins diet, and when I do lapse, ( pasta, pizza, etc ) I just get back on to the low carb wagon the next day.

Hope it helps :)

I agree that this is a great position to be in. I am a normal weight now after low carbing for 10 months. I would be happy if I lost a little more, but will be fine to stay where I am if my body settles where it is.

Something I have noticed after adopting this way of eating is, whenever I fall off the wagon, my body just doesn't like it anymore. Worst of all is the tummy troubles, bloating etc. My tum just doesn't react well to carbs and sugars anymore, despite eating them for more than 40 years. It's as though my body chemistry has changed and doesn't know how to metabolize this stuff anymore. I would recommend this way of eating to everyone, no matter what their size, just for the health benefits alone. To me it's a way of life now, as opposed to all the quick fix diets I tried in the past which I dropped as soon as I lost the weight.

One of the best things is beating the sugar cravings and finding after a while your taste buds changing. When I first started I couldn't stand eating dark green salad leaves without some sort of dressing. Now I can shovel them down plain and actually enjoy them. I went to a buffet restaurant a few weeks ago and tried my all time favourite desert, pavlova. I couldn't eat more than a spoonful as it was too sweet. In the old days I could have eaten 3 helpings and not bat an eyelid. I don't really crave sweets anymore, but occasionally have a couple of squares of 85% dark choc, which is plenty sweet now, and good for you in moderation.

Best of luck trying this way of eating. It will change your life.

xxxJellybelly