Cauliflower, Fennel and Leek in White Sauce

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Cauliflower, Fennel and Leek in White Sauce

I made this last night and it was really yummy I should have taken a photo, I was a bit skeptical about how this would turn out but the photo in her recipe book looked so good I wanted to give it a go. This is a Karen Martini recipe accept I decarbed the white sauce and used cheddar because I could not find provolone here. Just for your notes, with her recipe she uses 120g of provolone cheese, grated with half in sauce and half sprinkled on top. I didn't bother adding cheese to sauce as I was using creamed cheese in the white sauce. Parmesan would be even better sprinkled on top or a mixture of both cheddar and parmesan. I didn't use parmesan because the white sauce tasted so rich to me but once baked it wasn't rich at all which surprised me. This is a big bake, easily serve 8 so you will want a good sized oven proof baking dish and a large saucepan/stock pot (or chop veggies up before boiling).

This is also the first time I have cooked fennel as I hate licorice but after the first mouthful or two I forgot all about it.

This is probably my favourite bake now :)

Cauliflower, Fennel and Leek in White Sauce

1 small cauliflower, washed and trimmed
      1 large bulb of fennel, washed and trimmed
      4 leeks washed, halved and cut into 4 cm slices
      1 bay leaf
      500ml of thick cream
      140g cream cheese
      Cheese of your choice grated, just enough to cover top
      seasoning

Bring a large sauce pan of lightly salted water to boil. Chuck in the Fennel and boil for 10mins then add the cauliflower and boil for another 8 minutes then chuck in the leek and continue for another 5mins then take of heat and drain.

Meanwhile preheat oven to 190C and melt the cream cheese in a saucepan over low heat then whisk in a little of the cream until smooth, chuck in the bay leaf and continue gradually whisking in the cream. Cook until thickened then remove bay leaf and season.

Grease baking dish then cut fennel lengthways into slices and arrange in dish. Then cut cauli into thick chunks and arrange on top. Next scatter leek over the veggies and then pour over the white sauce and sprinkle cheese over the top.

Wack in the oven for around 30mins or until golden
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.