Low Carb Flourless Chocolate and Hazelnut Cake

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Flourless Chocolate and Hazelnut Cake

This is really yummy, it is not a high cake but don't let size fool you, it is very calorie dense and yummmm. Ryan loves it straight out of the fridge but you're meant to bring it to room temp before eating. I like to bring mine to room temp and then chuck in the oven for a few minutes so the ganache is goey (shown in photo). You don't have to use the ganache it is said to be fine without served with cream, berries and a dusting of cocoa powder. This is a de-carbed recipe by Belinda Jeffery and she is my new found favourite chef!

This is my breakfast this morning:

Low Carb Flourless Chocolate and Hazelnut Cake

180g/6.3oz Lindt 85% broken into smallish pieces
      5 large eggs, separated
      240g/8.4oz hazelnuts
      1 cup splenda (I dont use splenda anymore) or equivalent (non metric: 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
      120g/4.5oz unsalted butter, cubed
      1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 180C (356F) and roast hazel nuts for around 10-15 minutes until skins start to split, turn off oven and cool for a few minutes then grab a handful and rub them in your hands so the skins come off. Remove skins as best as you can but don't worry if they don't completely come off. chuck these in the freezer for a while so they get really cold and then grind them in small batches being careful that you don't grind them too much or they will start to turn into a paste!

Preheat oven to 180C (356F)

Place chocolate, butter in a big metal bowl and melt. I like to do this over just boiled water, but you could just do it on the stove over simmering water. Sometimes I will need to replace with freshly boiled water near the end just to smooth it out more. Stir in splenda and let chocolate cool

Whisk egg whites with salt until soft peaks form and set aside.

In a small bowl give the yolks a quick whisk then add the yolks to the chocolate whisking as you go, then add the hazelnuts. Stir in one third of the egg whites then fold in half of the remaining egg white and then the other half.

Scrape into a greased spring form pan and chuck in oven for around 30-35mins until centre is firm and springy. Cool in pan.

Ganache

250g lindt 85% (8.8oz)
      125g butter (4.4oz)
      50ml water (1.7 fl oz)
      You could add say a tablespoon of splenda to take the edge off if you need

Melt the same way as before until smooth being careful not to over heat, immediately remove once smooth. You might not need to use it all, just store the rest in an airtight container and chuck in fridge or eat it by the spoon like I did :P

Let ganache cool until a thick consistency then spread over cake. Belinda suggests doing a crumb coat first where you spread a thin coat over first, chill and then re-coat. This is said to help achieve a smooth coat.

Ok the counts, now this is calorie dense so I suggest having it for a meal rather then a snack or use for special occasions, makes a great breaky! :)

You could get 12 - 16 slices out of this, I did 12. You could lower the carb count a little more by using splenda tabs or liquid splenda. e.g. one cup of splenda is 23.2g whilst 50 tablets is 3.8g. Stevia is also less in carbs.

Counts without the ganache:

Total:

3705 calories
      97.8g protein
      351.8g fat
      75.6g carbs

12 serves

per serve:

309 cal
      8g protein
      29.4g fat
      6.3g carb

16 serves

per serve:

232 cal
      6g protein
      22g fat
      4.7g carbs

With Ganache:

Total:

5929 cal
      126.4g protein
      569.2g fat
      123.7g carb

12 serves

per serve:

494 cals
      10.5g protein
      47.4g fat
      10.3g carbs

16 serves

per serve:

403 cal
      8.6g protein
      35.5g fat
      7.7g carb
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sherrie: added American measurements ().

• Re: Low Carb Flourless Chocolate and Hazelnut Cake

Well I made the cake this morning... unfortunately I cooked it about 5-10mins too long so the bitter "burnt" taste of the dark chocolate is super-intensified and it turned out really dry :( Had a slice with some cream for lunch....was not too bad but I wish it could have turned out like yours Sherrie...
      will have to try it again next week (after I get paid... lindts' exy at $3.60 per 100g, and I'm broke!).

Whatever you do don't eat it straight out of the fridge, it is not as nice and probably more likely to be bitter.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Sherrie, I noticed in your blog you said you can't get unsweetened chocolate in Australia - you absolutely can get it from here:

kennedyandwilson.com.au/Home.htm

go to the products page and scroll down to the bottom where it has:

Couverture Range:
      Couverture - unsweetened (99%) $30.00/1kg (if order 2kg - $25.00/kg)

I can buy this in several specialty food stores in Perth and I imagine you could in Adelaide as well.

Your recipe is very similar to one I make but I can’t be bothered with all the fussiness of roasting and grinding hazelnuts and whipping egg whites so I’ve simplified mine in the preparation. I use bought hazelnut meal, keep the eggs whole and melt the chocolate in the microwave with the butter. I throw in a handful of frozen blueberries at the end and don’t bother with a ganache. This is without a doubt my favourite low carb chocolate recipe – don’t know if I could call mine a cake though, it’s way too dense.

[Blocked Image: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/Zedgirl/choc-hazelnut-slice.jpg]

OMG where have you been all my life!!!

I just had a look and at first I was thinking oh heck this is all soooo expensive then I got to the bottom of the page, if you buy 2kg of the coverture it is $25 per kg including freight, thats $2.50 per 100g, much lower carb and cheaper then lindt and to my door!!!!

I have tried lots of chocolate shops and never found it. The only place I knew of was the USA foods website.

Oh how cool, I will have to add that to the products in Australia thread, thanks ZG!!!

I used hazelnut meal for that recipe too because the meal worked out cheaper then the actually nuts but next time I will roast. I made this slice recipe a few weeks ago too, I will post it once I perfect the base, it is really yummy. But anyway, I loved the taste of the roasted hazelnuts so I want to try it that way too. I don't know how you don't use the ganache, I love ganache, its my favourite bit!!!

Your cake looks yummy and like a brownie?

Sherrie wrote:

OMG where have you been all my life!!!

I’ve been using their chocolate for years!

Sherrie wrote:

I used hazelnut meal for that recipe too because the meal worked out cheaper then the actually nuts but next time I will roast. I made this slice recipe a few weeks ago too, I will post it once I perfect the base, it is really yummy. But anyway, I loved the taste of the roasted hazelnuts so I want to try it that way too. I don't know how you don't use the ganache, I love ganache, its my favourite bit!!!

I do love ganache but I find my cake/brownie (whatever LOL) is rich and satisfying enough without, so why up the carb count further? It’s the same with things like my pumpkin spice or carrot cake muffins – they would be great with a cream cheese topping but I find they're just as satisfying with butter or cream instead and I don’t have to worry about adding more sweetener to a topping.

Make sure you post that slice recipe!

BTW I found some hazelnut essence a few weeks back (I know I mentioned I was looking for some in another thread somewhere) but I haven't used it yet.

The post was edited 1 time, last by zedgirl ().

ZG I usually find things too rich too but surprisingly the cake wasn't but then that may be because I used bought hazelnut meal, only one way to find out though lol :p

The slice recipe was like eating something really naughty.

Mind you I am trying to be chocolate free this week, we'll see how long that lasts!

LOL my brain must be still waking up, I just noticed as I was quoting your post for the other thread that you already mentioned the price of the chocolate lol :o

yeah i use to buy coverture chocolate buttons from my local wholesale store, which in most states the public can buy from their to just look in your local yellow pages, havent been their for a while might have to go and get some.

I've seen Nestle Baking Chocolate and Couveture Cooking Chocolate at Safeway.
      OMG the cake looks fantastic. I thought I was the only one who had choc cake for brekkie. Back in the early 70's on W.W. we were allowed to make two little cakes called "Chocolate Custard Cakes" by getting a slice of bread and blending it with the other ingredients. I'd take my two littlies to kinder and then come home and have one of these cakes for breakfast, my husband thought I was nuts but yummo, I sure did enjoy them.

You have my kind of taste in breakfast (the chocolate bit) :D

Swapping the splenda granula with 50 splenda tabs should alter the carbs significantly.

I never tried but according to the original recipe it keeps well in the fridge for at least 5 days and freezes well for a couple of weeks.

Sherrie wrote:

You have my kind of taste in breakfast (the chocolate bit) :D

Swapping the splenda granula with 50 splenda tabs should alter the carbs significantly.

sherrie, have you tried this with 50 splenda tabs? does it taste different,a dn how do you do it? do you just dissolve them in a little water? i've heard splenda tabs are not as good for you as the powder (?).

also, if we used coverture chocolate which has less carbs and then used the spenda tabs too i wonder what the carb count would be - coudl you tell me the carb count for the original recipe (as in for the ingredients instead of a total) and i could work it out? actaully i can work it out, that's just lazy!! :cool:
      Current Journey

Overall Journey since first started LCing in 2005

Lissy the tablets have a lot less carbs, 1 cup of granular is 23g whilst 50 tablets are just under 4g!!!!

If you scroll down to near the bottom of this page you will see a splenda conversion chart: Measurements and conversions

With the coverture, because it has no added sugar you may need to add a little extra splenda, I would just taste the batter and go from there.

With the tablets, some people dissolve them in hot water but I have never found it necessary. All I do is crush them into a fine powder with either the back of a spoon or a mortar and pestle.