Common Cooking Spice Found In Curry Shows Promise In Combating Diabetes And Obesity

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Common Cooking Spice Found In Curry Shows Promise In Combating Diabetes And Obesity

Common Cooking Spice Found In Curry Shows Promise In Combating Diabetes And Obesity

ScienceDaily (June 23, 2008) — Turmeric, an Asian spice found in many curries, has a long history of use in reducing inflammation, healing wounds and relieving pain, but can it prevent diabetes? Since inflammation plays a big role in many diseases and is believed to be involved in onset of both obesity and Type 2 diabetes, Drew Tortoriello, M.D., an endocrinologist and research scientist at the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center at Columbia University Medical Center, and his colleagues were curious what effect the herb might have on diabetic mice.

More
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Common Cooking Spice Found In Curry Shows Promise In Combating Diabetes And Obesi

The trouble with turmeric is that it is only about 5% curcumin (the active ingredient). If you were to follow the Indian example (I wish) you would eat a few grams a day(of turmeric) .. maybe .. but it would come with a lot of carbs. You can however gte curcumin supps, and as I think reducing inflammation (as low carbing does, and being selective about fat intake does), that's what I do;

turmeric-curcumin.com/
      Started LC (PP) Dec 2003
      114/86.5/85
      BF 30+/17/15
    • Re: Common Cooking Spice Found In Curry Shows Promise In Combating Diabetes And Obesi

Good point Malcolm!

I used to take a circumin supp back when I first went on LC in 2002. I used to get my supps mostly from 1fast (US) or golden glow but I am pretty sure the circumin came from golden glow.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.