Low Carb Buttery Almond and Coconut Cake

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Low Carb Buttery Almond & Coconut Cake

Silver, I just edited in the American measurements for you, with our cup measurements, it is about 1 extra tablespoon to yours so not too significant for half a cup etc I would just remember each time you add a cup to add an extra tablespoon and not to worry about the smaller measures of less then a cup. And with the splenda I found I used less then 1 cup anyway.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

I made this for a birthday cake. Followed the recipe exactly. I made it on the day and it is good that I did as I dished it up warm and it was REALLY REALLY nice.

When it was cold it just wasn't as good, so I warmed it a little and it was just amazing again.

Great cake.

Sherrie wrote:

Guys this is a HUGE winner, definitely a keeper that I will be making over and over. It is a recipe by an Australian Author/Chef Belinda Jeffery that I converted to low carb (wasn't hard!), this lady is a genius!

I will work out the counts shortly and update.

Low Carb Buttery Almond & Coconut Cake

(For non metric users: metric cup measurements are around one tablespoon more then your cup measurement)

180g Blanched Almonds, ground (6.3 ounces)
      1 cup of splenda or equivalent
      2/3 cup of dessicated coconut (I was a bit heavy handed and probably used around 3/4 cup
      2 TBL Flaked Almonds (2 American tablespoons and 2 teaspoons)
      1/4 tsp salt
      200g butter (7oz)
      4 eggs
      1.5 tsp vanilla extract
      1/4 tsp almond essence

Melt butter and allow to cool

Blanch and grind almonds, this is a good opportunity to make a big batch so you have extra for other recipes. See this thread for tips on blanching and grinding almonds: Nut Meals and Flours

Preheat oven to 180 C (350F)

Whisk the dry ingredients in a medium to large bowl. In a smaller bowl whisk the eggs, vanilla and almond essence then add the butter mixture and whisk well. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir, this will be a sloppy batter.

Next either grease or line a metal springform pan or use silicon. I used the silicon and it worked fine for this. Pour mixture in and spread evenly then sprinkle almond flakes over the top of the cake.

Chuck in oven for about 40 minutes or until cake springs back slowly. Let cool in pan.

Belinda recommends that you eat this at room temperature or slightly warmed though it still tastes good cold just chewy like candy. Keeps in the fridge for up to a week (won't last that long!) and freezes well for 3 weeks.

Enjoy :)

Nutritional Information:

Total 101g protein 307g fat 39g carb 3442 cal
      Per serve (div 8) 12.6g protein 38.3g fat 4.8g carb 430 cal

Note: I had to guesstimate the flaked almonds as 30g because I forgot to weight them!

Gorgeous cake! Funnily enough, as a teenage hairdressing apprentice many moons ago, I used to "do" Belinda Jeffery's hair. Back in her Better Homes & Garden days and my pink mohawk days.
      Indeed I bought her "Mix & Bake" mini cook booklet in a recent Daily Telegraph promotion and inspired by you wonderful alchemists I can't help but wonder if any of her recipes there can be "low-carbed" like this one. I'm new to low-carb baking but perhaps I'll have a play around. Learning lots here, it's great.

She has some great recipes, I highly recommend this one, it is really good!!

I am pretty sure this recipe was from her mix and bake cook book (not mini one). I can't check though as all my cookbooks are packed up.

Theres another recipe of hers that I converted, it's a chocolate nut slice type recipe except I used hazelnuts and I think she used walnuts. It has a cooked biscuit type base which I converted, similar to a low carb cheesecake base with dark chocolate slathered over the top and roasted hazlenuts scattered over it and left to set in the fridge. I think it's called chocolate and hazelnut higgedly piggedlys, highly recommended for a treat such as Christmas time, parties etc... very moorish!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Just wondering if you could use store bought almond meal for this recipe, rather than making your own? Not sure if the almond meal I normally buy is blanched but would it make a big difference if it's not?

melly845 wrote:

Just wondering if you could use store bought almond meal for this recipe, rather than making your own? Not sure if the almond meal I normally buy is blanched but would it make a big difference if it's not?

Hi Mel

I have been looking at this recipe aswell. Being on BT would we be aloud to have it? if so would it be a snack? I get so confused as to when i can & cant have something due to always having to have protein.:confused:
      :)[COLOR="Plum"]THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCESS IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER[/COLOR]:)

You could have it as a snack on BT, the fat content is a lot higher than they recommend but I don't worry about that because you need to eat fat on a low-carb diet. I wouldn't eat it every day though, just every now and then :)

Hi girls, I'm a Bter and in my opinion this would be a "free day" treat.

I've got a couple of recipes that Chris from BT posted sometime ago; a biscuit and protein bar and a chocolate cake that i've played with a bit and got it to a point where it isn't so dry.

I'd be happy to put them up on the site but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them - perhaps Sherrie could answer this one?

melly845 wrote:

Just did a google search & it seems that maybe we would use almond flour.

Almond flour is grounded blanched almonds

Almond meal is grinded almonds but includes the skin. Because of this it is slightly rougher/drier/courser than almond flour.

Summary

1.Almond flour and almond meal are baking ingredients used as healthier alternatives to wheat flour.
      2.Almond flour is made from finely ground blanched almonds, while almond meal, from finely ground almonds including the skin.
      3.Almond flour is best used for cakes, cookies and other pastries requiring finer, moister texture. Almond meal best suits dryer and courser pastries such as cream puff and wafer bases.
      4.Both are gluten-free, high in protein, and low in carbohydrates and sugars. They include essential nutrients like iron, calcium, vitamin E and fiber.
      5.Both can be purchased through supermarkets and online stores. They can also be home-made.
      6.Tight-sealed and refrigerated, they can have a shelf-life of up to 3 months.

Read more: Difference Between Almond meal and Almond flour | Difference Between | Almond meal vs Almond flour differencebetween.net/object/c…mond-flour/#ixzz1OkDSW2ia

livvy2905 wrote:

Hi girls, I'm a Bter and in my opinion this would be a "free day" treat.

I've got a couple of recipes that Chris from BT posted sometime ago; a biscuit and protein bar and a chocolate cake that i've played with a bit and got it to a point where it isn't so dry.

I'd be happy to put them up on the site but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them - perhaps Sherrie could answer this one?

Hi Livvy

I am sure that it'd be fine to put up so long as you give Chris the credit for it. But they sound good. Are they snackable for bt?

Hi Mel

I just googled buttery almond & coconut cake & came across a recipe in the womens day & it uses the same ingredients as this recipe however it says to use almond meal. I think this solves your question.