Lc and Protein Powder in pregnancy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Lc and Protein Powder in pregnancy

My sister has just found out she is pregnant and was following bodytrim at the time. Her doctor has told her firstly do not LC diet. I agree with this to some degree but it seems quite a few did maintnance Lc while pregnant? I have been trying to find out for her roughly how mant grams of carbs that would be a day? How did others find this in preganancy? Her doctor told her not to use protein powder in pregnancy but she said he sounded unsure and may have said no because he really didnt know. She really only uses it on oats in the morning and maybe one shake in the day but she was hoping to keep using it especially since she really doesnt feel like much meat. She had very bad morning sickness right through her last pregnancy and is already starting again with this one, do you know if Lower carbs could help or make things worse?

thanks or any advice. I know doctors should be able to advise these things but it is hard to find LC or even lower carb friendly ones.
    • Re: Lc and Protein Powder in pregnancy

That's a tricky one. On one hand, she needs protein, but on the other, I've read that morning sickness & food aversions during pregnancy are helpful in that they keep you away from things that might hurt your bub. Unless she's really skinny though she's not going to fade away from not eating (although I noticed that eating really helped my morning sickness, it was always worse on an empty stomach). I basically went on the rule of eating whatever I could stomach and it'd all work itself out. :)

Atkins recommends the maintenance plan of his diet for teenagers and pregnant/lactating mothers if I recall. Basically you want to eat enough to keep you out of ketosis however she will probably be in there from time to time, I found I was a lot in the first few months and if you have morning sickness you will be for sure.

The only thing with protein powders etc is the artificial sweeteners, there is still a lot of uncertainty regarding them and how they may effect an unborn baby.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

I hadnt thought of the artificial sweetners, do you know if Splenda is safe during pregnancy?

We both had morning sickness for full 9 months and barely kept anything down (makes you put on weight very quickly when you can eat again !!!!!!) and both our bubs are strong and healthy so I guess you have to just eat what you can, hopefully she will be able to stomach some meats and cheese.

No unfortunately I don't know about splenda's safety which is a shame as I love the stuff. However, I definitely wouldn't recommend aspartame.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Best to be safe than sorry and keep away from it all then. Shame - I told her I would make her some LC treats, she is about my weight so risk of gestational diabetes quite high. Mind you she may be to sick to eat any sugar anyway poor thing. Thanks for your advice as always :)

Hi Bexsi, the Vic Govt endorses use of Splenda during pregnancy betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/…icial_sweeteners_Q&A?Open
      They say steer clear of stevia as it's safety is not proven. I reckon limit them all as best as possible, but if you need something I figure the Vic Govt would be a pretty safe source of info. Being 9 months pregnant I have used an unsweetened soy protein powder and added my own fruit for flavour sucessfully, but best for your sister to run anything past her doc before using.

So if you wanted something sweet are you best to use sugar (at least its natural) or go with splenda? What about sugar Alchols, I know some are quite bad, how about the well naturally bars or would you be best off with a normal chocolate if you really wanted chocolate? I think the Aussie bodies perfect protein is free of sweetners though no 100% sure.

Hi Bexsi, the Vic Govt endorses use of Splenda during pregnancy
      They say steer clear of stevia as it's safety is not proven.

They also say Aspartame is okay even though it's been proven to cause numerous side effects including death: westonaprice.org/modernfood/sugarfree_blues.html#aspartame

My advice: don't trust the Victorian government (or any other government for that matter!) Wasn't it a health minister or something in Victoria who issued an anti-low carb statement at one point that got all us low carbers up in arms?

Stay as natural as possible in pregnancy (and, really, the rest of the time as well) and you'll be better off.

dani wrote:

Hi Bexsi, the Vic Govt endorses use of Splenda during pregnancy betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/…icial_sweeteners_Q&A?Open
      They say steer clear of stevia as it's safety is not proven. I reckon limit them all as best as possible, but if you need something I figure the Vic Govt would be a pretty safe source of info. Being 9 months pregnant I have used an unsweetened soy protein powder and added my own fruit for flavour sucessfully, but best for your sister to run anything past her doc before using.

Dani stop the soy!!! Bad news especially if you're having a boy!!!

Stevia has been around a long time, much longer then any artificial sweeteners, of course that doesn't mean its safe (though likely) but it certainly doesn't mean it is any less safer then splenda :eek:

Hi Bexsi, I agree with Melvan and suggest avoiding artificial as much as possible. I did finish off a pack of splenda I had but limited it to a couple of sachets a day (and only in the last month), with no problems, but then every baby is different and you never know, they may have an allergy even before they are born so they say avoid peanuts on that basis too.

I was diagnosed gestational diabetic and put on insulin and given the good ol food pyramid to follow by the hospital dieticians so have not followed lc and consequently put on twice-thrice as much weight as I should have. The dieticians at the hospital (as per Govt websites) say sweetners 951 (aspartame eg. equal) and 955 (sucralose eg. splenda) are ok but I certainly would not risk aspartame either. Same goes with the chocolate, if you can get the unsweetened stuff or use cocoa with a natural sweetner (then we have carbs again) it is probably best for baby.

I did use the Aussie Bodies pure soy powder (no sweetener, a little chalky but ok with fruit and yoghurt) in the mornings as it is great for high calcium. I just checked the Aussie Bodies website and prefect protein is sweetened with fructose, so an that basis should be natural for pregnancy, although then becomes not particulary low carb (never easy is it!). I hope your sister is going well with her pregnancy. I will hopefully have a good tale re post pregnancy weight loss to tell over the next 6-12 months!

Check these threads out to start with:

Australian Pediatric Soy Protein Formula Policy

The Dangers of Soy

Mind you, you will cut out soy intake significantly simply by cutting out processed foods, it is AMAZING how many foods are full of this crap!

Fermented soy is okay but don't have in large amounts because it is thought to not be fermented properly like in the old days.

Gosh Sherrie, an awful lot to read out there on soy, I will certainly avoid it for the remaining week or so of pregnancy and breastfeeding (if I am able to). There are alot of unceratainties on soy that is for sure. I think a return to my unflavoured WPI/WPC powder might be the go. At least I have generally avoided processed foods otherwise and had the soy powder only at breakfast.

For Bexsi's sister, seems like as much natural and unprocessed might be the best advice for pregnancy.

Well I think its all gone out the window for now anyway. Shes just eating what she thinks will stay down and what wont be to bad coming back up. We were both very sick for full 9 months with our first ones and it seems to be going that way again for Kel. Brings back to many memories watching her go through it again, makes me think I might just wait alittle longer myself !!!!!!! Let us know how you go Dani

Hi Sherrie; am going great, Aron is now 7 weeks old and growing well (4 kg), still fully breastfeeding but am going to introduce 1 bottle a day breastmilk to get him used to someone else feeding him. I hope I can avoid formula, trying to find a soy free will be tricky, even the S26 has it in, have you heard of any good soy free formulas?

Weight wise, I broke the tonne - down to 99.9 kg! last weekend so dropping 0.5-1 kg a week, have started some walking, exercise bike and light weights at home. Christmas will be the test :o)

Never tried formula with Maya I remember Ryan used to like the Nan, god knows what they put in them these days but hey with all the problems I had with Maya who knows. On the plus side for breastfeeding, she never has respiratory problems which is pretty good considering her dad did as well as middle ear problems and he also had very bad childhood asthma. She was weezing when she was born, she had fluid on her lungs because she was birth through c-sect and when the paed looked at her to give me the all clear so I could get out of there he was hinting towards her being asthmatic. Fingers crossed there but so far so good *touch wood*

Anyway I think teaching them to be fed by someone else (whichever way you choose to do it) is a good idea especially as they are very young as later it is a lot harder to get them to take a bottle.