Pinned Low Carb Getting Started Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Getting Started Thread

Hi Guys - just wanted to let you know that I have bought the new Atkins Diet Revolution book and am starting induction at the end of week. Just need to stock up on what I need for b/fast etc. Being Type 2 Diabetic I need to be careful of sugar/carb count. I try to formulate Dr Bersteins 6-12-12 carb intake per day so Atkins induction of 20gms shouldn't be too hard... just running out on ideas sometimes on what to eat:D
    • HOLY CHRIST...!!!

Well, I have just finished a quick read of the 'Getting Started Thread' and it has occurred to me that the reason I am so large, despite convincing myself that I have lead a predominantly low-carb eating regime, is portion sizes.

80 to 100 grams of protein per day?? You're kidding me, right?

I have been having at least 150 grams per meal, with tonnes of fats in the way of chicken skin, pork skin, cheeses etc.

I have tried VERY hard to cut out carbs but thus far failed, with my wek points being rice and pasta. My wife and daughters are Thai and cook like a possessed storm trooping Chefs.

I have no idea how I'm going to do this, as the thought of counting everything just about does my head in, before I even start.

But quite clearly, the mammoth portions are not the way to go.

So....for a large man with a large appetite, how the heck do I manage these hunger pangs.

One example alone is my breakfast which will normally consist of a lovely 3 egg omelete, with about 100 grams of ham and maybe 100 grams of cheese.

Then if my girls have some Thai food, I will normally pinch some pork or chicken, thinking ''well, it's protein, so I'm okay"".

Gee, I'm just not sure about all this. I am really doubting myself and my ability to get on and stay on track, which will mean none other than a horrible consequence for both myself and my precious girls.

For now, I'll just keep reading and try not to stress my brain to shreds.

Treadmill arrives this week. Let's see if it becomes (yet again) a stationary clothes hanger or if I can muster the 'drive' to get on it and start taking some steps.

Cheers to all.

Paulee.

Yeah but that's the weight for the actual protein amount not the portion of meat, 80-100g would also be right for a female.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

PS: I would just concentrate on keeping carbs down and see where that takes you first, ketosis will probably take care of the deficit for you until you're closer to goal.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

wendy28 wrote:

hey shez,
      yea it is me,
      i dont really need to loose weight.
      i am 5 kgs more than i use to be but to be honest it is a healthier me,
      it is just toning up my mid section that troubles me and with weak spot.
      but with weak abs and lower back and neck.
      heading off to gym soon so will ask about how much i should be doing.

Love your positive outlook, I am just starting out too!
      Have put on a bit of junk around my midsection, and am ready to be fitter, leaner and keener! If you know what I mean lol!

hi sherrie thanks for the welcome ive been on the diet for 5 days now and a bit confused on what i can eat are we allowed sausages and semi skimmed milk im still only have protein and nt had any carbs so far but missing my bread on a good note i weighed my self today and lost 6lbs :)

Welcome Jackie :)

Depends on what diet you're on but full fat milk is generally the better option of the two as it's carbs that is the issue and the lower the fat in the milk the higher the lactose (carbs), it's not allowed during Atkins induction. Sausages are generally ok but keep an eye on them for any issues as they do mostly contain fillers which are full of carbs and preservatives, I am a bit rusty on whether they're allowed during Atkins induction.

Thanks for all the essentials, Sherrie. I'm so glad I've gone back to the beginning. I like the pantry basic list which will double up as my "can eat" list. Still can't get my head around eating fats, when I've always gone the low fat way (Dukan).
      I'm going to start a spreadsheet too of weight loss?, measurements and BP over the next 14 weeks. Goal will be BMI of 19 or 54kg.

Hey just a quickie. I have been reading lots on this website and feel a little overwhelmed by all the types of low carb diets out there. I am currently on bodytrim, but have now read about a lot of people switching to Atkins and then carb refeeds as you near goal rate. Does anyone have any advice/ thoughts on this all I am struggling to work out what to do. I guess time and weightloss would be my best guide

Any help, wisdom etc much appreciated

H

I switched from Dukan to Diet Doctor's plan, so that's going from almost no fat and a moderare level of carb. Best way to go is fat and limited very limited carb. Never done Atkins or the refeed whatever that is. No way would I consider the free day as bodytrim promote.Dukan also suggests it but frankly it sounds like a pig-out day.Personally think it may take you off the rails over time.There's no such thing as a free lunch, so if you're on a good thing (food plan) then stick to it.

That said, I think a change in weight loss plans is as good as a holiday.

I think it's always best to start on a higher calorie low carb plan and then mix things up as you're closer to goal and your body is fighting you for every last gram!

Sherrie wrote:

Welcome to A Pinch of Health Forums :)

I'm starting this new thread so we can add hints and any other useful information such as links to helpful threads on the forum, for our new members whom are getting started on the low carb lifestyle.

Firstly, one of the first things you should do, is do some research and choose a low carb plan that suits you. Once you have chosen a plan, buy the book and read it from cover to cover. We have a list of some of the various low carb plans here: Low Carb Diets.

The one this forum is most familiar with is the Atkins diet due to its popularity - thus you will find that a lot of the information here comes from Atkins.

Some low carb diets like Atkins, emphasise the need to be in ketosis and the measuring of it through the use of keto sticks. I find that the usefulness of these sticks is individual, some love them and some hate them. The most important thing to remember is that they only measure excess ketones. Therefore, it is very likely that even though you get a negative reading on the stick, if you have been eating clean and exercising and have not experienced an overnight water gain that YOU ARE in ketosis, the difference is that you’re using up all of your available ketones for energy and thus, there is not enough excess ketones spilt into your urine for the sticks to measure. If you have any questions, feel free to read or ask a question in our ketosis and ketosticks forum.

Next, start a diary and record everything such as what you’re eating, your exercise, how you feel and weight loss. What this does is provide a history for you to look back on plus, if you put it online such as in our members diaries forum then it will also provide a way to receive input from other more experienced members and perhaps help other current or future new members with similar goals as to yours whom happen to come across your diary. You can find some ideas of what to record in your diary here: Start a Weight-loss Diary/Journal

Although, some low carb diets like Atkins doesn't really address this, a useful tip is to get into the habit of counting your calories, protein, fat and carbohydrates, especially if you stall or are losing slowly. The reason being is that it makes it a lot easier for you to make adjustments as needed because it will take some of the guess work out of the equation.

A good little tidbit to remember is that 1 gram of protein or carbohydrate equal 4 calories and 1 gram of fat equals 9 calories.

First things first, you should know that American nutritional information is a lot different to ours, for example Americans include fibre into their carbohydrate totals on their product labels whilst we do not.

So unless the product is from America do not subtract fibre from the total carbohydrate count. This also applies to food databases that you may find online. If they are American, then you need to subtract the fibre yourself whereas if they are Australian you do not, HOWEVER this may not apply if the database on an Australian website is relying on the USDA database which is American, so please make sure to keep an eye out for that. For this reason I recommend you use the Australian and New Zealand’s Food Standards NUTTAB 2010 whenever possible.

Note: This used to be an issue for the Australian Calorie King website but they have since updated their fresh foods database to our Food Standards making them much better now. However, keep in mind that some unusual ingredients such as coconut flour, linseed meal etc may not be using Food Standards due to not being on their database. If you're ever in doubt, double check with Food Standards.

There will be times where you will not find the information you need there and will need to use another database, and that is fine, just remember that you will most likely need to subtract the fibre. I recommend Nutrition Data.

Next you need to count what you eat each day with the nutritional information. I can't tell you how much of what to eat as that’s highly individual but a good starting guide is to eat in this percentage range, 65-70% fat, 25-30% protein and 5% carbs of your total daily calorie intake.

A good link to help with calories: BMR and Calories

There are three very good ways you can do the counting; firstly there is a web site a lot of people like to use, including myself. This site is free and provides an online food journal for you to add your daily foods. This contains it’s own database as well as a custom foods database, where you can add all your foods in customly using the nutritional information from labels or food standards. It also has many other features such as pie charts that show your Protein, fat and carbohydrate percentages as well as weight loss graphs and exercise tools. It's very easy to use and takes a lot of the work out for you. But because it is an American site I can't stress enough to not use their own food database but to add your foods in customly.

Here is the URL: Fitday

Secondly you can make your own spreadsheet to record and calculate your daily intakes.

Here is two examples that we're posted by members:

Nina's Daily Planner

Claire’s Spreadsheet

We also have weight loss graphs that have been shared by members as well other weight loss tools here: Weight-loss Tools

One of the first questions newcomers tend to ask is, what foods am I allowed to eat on a low carb diet?

Whilst, for the sake of accuracy the answer to this depends on the actual low carb diet that you’re following, the allowable foods on Atkins induction make a good starting point which you can find here: A Rundown on Atkins Induction

We also have a list of some of our low carb staples which you can find here: Low Carb Staples, as well as a shopping planner that was contributed by one of our members which you may also find useful: Pensull’s Shopping Planner

Some other useful threads:
      What’s in Your Shopping Basket?

Shopping Lists

The next most common question is meal/menu ideas; here are some threads that have been posted on our forum that may help:

LC Menu Planning Made Easy

Low Carb Menu Idea’s

Handing You The Keys To Success

Meal Planner Website

Food Courts....what do you eat there?

Bodytrim

Bodytrim Diet 2 (first post has links to some popular threads)

Hello all,
      I'm a bodytrim/low carb newbie, I've done the 3 day detox and have been on BT for about 2 weeks.

After the 3 days I had lost 2 kilos, impressive seeing as I didn't do the walking, but 2 weeks in I have actually gained a kilo...and I'm a bit bummed about it.

I may have to look closer at portion sizes and taken 'dipping homus' to a new and oh-so-tasy low but another thing that I think hasn't helped is the protein snack before bed...as my partner and I have been having protein shakes, but the protein powder we were using has a lot of sugar in it, and we use oat milk (I can't do dairy).

All in all though I would have thought now that I have added some walking (about 30 -40 minutes twice a week, one of those is the 1000 steps up in the mountains here in Victoria) and cut out al the carbs and sugar I used to eat (rice, bread & rolls, toast, mini cakes, biscuits) that I would have lost more weight, even if just another kilo...

So my 2 questions to everyone are:
      1: did anyone else gain weight back immediately after the detox?
      2: any protein bedtime suggestions other than yet another tin of tuna? (lol)

If you're eating is spot on and you haven't suddenly increased your salt intake, then the only other thing I can think of right now is your cycle.