Lamb Chop Stew

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Lamb Chop Stew

Okay I made this one tonight, it is from the Delicious magazine and is very yummy. The original recipe wanted 300g potatoes, 1 large onion, 300g pumpkin and 4 carrots. what I did was half an onion, 300g pumpkin, 2 carrots and 2 large zucchinis. I think you could get away with substituting this more but keep some of the pumpkin as it does add to the flavour. I also think this would be nice with a touch of lemon. Of course you could keep as is but add more zucchini and just serve the carrot etc up to everyone else :)

Lamb Chop Stew

Ingredients:

1kg lamb forequarter chops, trimmed
      300g pumpkin
      2 large zucchini
      2 carrots
      1/2 onion, chopped roughly
      400g can chopped tomatoes
      1 1/4 cup red wine
      200ml water or beef stock (I just used water)
      4 rosemary sprigs
      4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped roughly (mine were big so I used 4)
      freshly crushed salt and black pepper
      10g butter

Method:

Now I used the slowcooker but the original recipe used an oven.

Preheat oven (if using) to 170C

Heat flameproof casserole dish on stove or fry pan if using slow cooker, add butter. Season the chops and add half or so (however many fit) and brown each side for 3 minutes, set chops aside and chuck in the remaining chops to brown. Once turned add onion, garlic and rosemary sprigs whilst the other side browns. Once done add the wine and bring to boil and cook off the sulphites in the wine then turn heat off, add tomatoes.

If using oven add the vegetables and enough stock water to cover and bake covered for 1 hour then reduce to 160C and bake for another 1 hour. Then place on stove uncovered for 5 minutes to reduce liquid.

What I did was placed the pumpkin, carrot and zucchini to the slow cooker and then poured everything that was cooked on the stove over the top, added water then cooked on high for 1 hour and low for the remainder of the day.

I served mine with mashed cauli so whilst the cauli was cooking I took the lid of the slow cooker, put it on high and fished all the bones out.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Lamb Chop Stew

That looks really yummy, reminds me of a savory chop recipie I have at home. I'll post it for tweeking tonight (I'm at work at the moment) it's really yummy to.

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

I add lemon to everything these days :)

[edit: I moved Janal's yummy recipe and the comments relating to it to it's own thread so its easier to find: Sweet & Savory Lamb Chops and doesn't get lost in this one.]

I have currently got the my lamb stew in my slow cooker atm as I had a small leg of lamb and a shank in the freezer so I thought I'd cook them up. I wanted to make this yummy curry I did last week but with Maya here I decided not. This time I didn't use zucchini or carrot, I had carrot but didn't realise that I ran out of zucchini so I chucked in a celeriac instead. No red wine or beef stock so I used lemon juice and the chicken stock leftover from poaching chicken breasts. Hopefully it turns out :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: link ().

Just stuck this one in the Slow Cooker, with slight variations,
      400g Pumpkin
      Chokos instead of zucchini, and
      beer instead of red wine.
      I brew my own so when a recipe says wine I usually use Stout.
      Haven't had a complaint yet :D

Will let you know how it turns out but it already smells good :)

Cheers

Paul

Hi Sherrie,

Stole this recipe ... looks yummy. Made some changes as pumpkin has high carbs I substituted eggplant instead.

This is my version:

LAMB CHOP STEW

1kg lamb forequarter chops, trimmed
      300g eggplant
      2 large zucchini
      1 carrot
      20g leeks or 1tspn onion powder
      400g can chopped tomatoes
      1 1/4 cup red wine
      200ml water or beef stock (I just used water)
      4 rosemary sprigs
      4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped roughly (mine were big so I used 4)
      freshly crushed salt and black pepper
      10g butter

Brown chops in coconut oil in electric wok. Add leeks, garlic, eggplant, zucchini, carrot and rosemary sprigs whilst the other side browns. Once done add the wine and tomatoes and bring to boil - cook off the sulphites in the wine then turn heat off. Replace lid on wok and let the heat keep on cooking the lamb and vegetables. When ready to eat, cook high and add lemon to taste if required.