Atkins anyone?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Atkins anyone?

i am slowly sifting through members diaries and posting on different threads, but can I please find out who is doing atkins?

can anyone on atkins please just post here and then i can go to your diary and have a read? i just want to read a bit about other's journey's and maybe get some hot tips from anyone!!

i've been doing LC for about 6 weeks, was on body trim for most of that, but have switched to atkins only since saturday - and really loving it.

am reading dr atkins diet revolution (1972) and then i will go onto the next atkins books - i'm loving it! my moods & energy have had dramatic change for the good since only saturday!! early days, i know, but i totally get why peopel get all evangelical about it - there are so many american bloggers who champion it and i just don't know where to start with looking at it all ! it's great to have so much to choose from reading - but if anyone can point me towards great atkins blogs/books/recipes (ok i know where to go for this - but if you personally just love a particular recipe - then i want to try it!!)

thanks!!!!!!!!!! and look forward to sharing idea with you! :D:D
      Current Journey

Overall Journey since first started LCing in 2005
    • Re: Atkins anyone?

Lissy most of us oldies did/are doing Atkins. I am following it but loosely. Plenty of Atkins recipes in the recipe section :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Thanks Sherrie - just thought i'd throw it out there to see if any gold nuggets of wisdom come flying back in!! hahaa

you know the whole blood sugar thing i'm reading about at the moment in DADR makes so much sense, i feel like i may not even need coffee soon because of my energy - i have not felt this way in years!!!!!! gosh and if i read my earlier posts in my diary i was in agony just staying awake on any given day!!

dr atkins said that many people can feel a total personality (and energy etc) change in 4 days or a week - and that just shows you how much the carbs were effecting you - i definately think i fall into this category. i remember you saying very early on that with my symptoms of low energy/depression/fatigue etc that the LC would suit me - so true already. but i reckon BT must not have been LC enough for me to get the real benefits
      Current Journey

and another thing - i think my TOM is coming up but i wouldn't even know it as i have no symptoms at all!!! no moody, bitchy, cranky! but i won't count chicken before they hatch as it could be next week:o... i'll be sure to take note in my diary
      Current Journey

Haha we will find out soon enough :D

Personally BT seems too restrictive and all over the place for a beginner to me, I know some people would gasp at me saying restrictive because there's free days and you're allowed a piece of bread in the morning but the other rules seems really restrictive to me but I haven't done BT so its purely my opinion. If you believe in the science behind weekly "free days" then you can always add them in later once you have lost a bit and got a handle on everything and see how you go but I think exercise would be very important if you did.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

i was thinking the same thing about free days - i've taken them out of the equation for now - but who's to say when i get to goal that i might be at a birthday celebration and might have piece of cake? - i know what the consequences are and that my body won't like it and will take a couple of days to bounce back, but i'm not doing this WOL to be in a prison!

i think first things first though, and cement this WOL into my life. then life isn't perfect. if we are looking after ourselves 95% of time, the 5% won't kill us hey? but i want to be very close to goal before i do that because to tell you the truth i feel like getting to goal and feeling good is much more important at this stage than a free day which just derails me anyway. and i prefer atkins. and i feel good. and the free day doesn't even entice me because i just associate feeling bad now...and that piece of cake i talked about above, may not even entice me one day! it would have to be for a special occasion and worth it! also i find exercise far easier when i have a better frame of mind which is how i'm feeling now so that should be no prob. so far in last week i have done yoga 3 times and walked on every other day and that has a lot to do with my mood and energy increasing since going for atkins i feel.
      Current Journey

Lissy you may have times before then when you slip up but that's perfectly okay and normal, use those times to learn why. It could just be intention (special occasion) or it could be because of skipping meals, eating something that causes cravings etc

that's right sherrie. and was thinking i wouldn't even want to use the words 'free day' again as that can mean a whole lot of food, which to me would be a slippery slope - and not one that i even want as i don't want to feel like crap anymore!! i'm off the free days mentality

but yeah, a special occasion - i could want that one day to share with those i love and not be all strict and stuffy if we were at a restaurant or something - but that would be just something special like a brithday cake or something, not a whole free day. or like you said a slip up, which i could learn from, cause we're human - not perfect! so i won't beat myself up if that happens

and anyway, atkins eating is so easy at restaurants anyway, it would only ever be the cake or dessert that would be iffy. i actually want to eat the atkins way, it doesn't even feel like a diet at all - had the yummy zucchini & chicken creamy pasta the other night - yum!
      Current Journey

oh i didn't read what you wrote properly! yes, i also need to note what causes cravings etc - that is a good thought to keep in mind, and that might not be from having a slip up and eating the wrong thing - it could be from something allowable on atkins? i guess time will tell:)
      Current Journey

Yes, it's all a learning process that's why its good to keep it steady for a while so you're able to learn these things, because ultimately it will help you come maintenance.

Hi Lissylou, Yes Atkins for me :)

I have a strong belief that I've developed over the years that just as some people have an intolerance to lactose or gluten, so to their are people that can't tolerate carbs or at least to many of them, they make us feel crappy.

One of my little treasures I found in the early days is that if I ate salad compared to veges it would set off cravings and I would be feeling hungry. Sherrie pointed that out to me, apparently she went through a similar problem. I will add though as time has gone on that it doesn't seem as bad anymore. It's like the longer I LC the less cravings I have. :D

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

All you count is the carbs which you start at 20g for 2 weeks and then increase by 5g per week until you reach your tolerance. You also have limits on dairy of around 120g as well as similar limits on muscles, oysters and organ meats. You also have a limit of I think it was half an avocado per day and so many olives, oh and no nuts or low carb fruits. Then after your 2 weeks is up you can start experimenting. There's no limits on fats, oils, fatty meats etc Atkins assumes that the natural appetite suppression that happens with ketosis will take care of that.

Actually I am wrong on the dairy during induction, the limits go like this:

Cheese = Three to four ounces (84-112g) See the allowed list for types of cheese that are allowed

Cream and sour cream= 1 ounce (28g) sour cream or 3 ounces (84g) of heavy cream

Atkins Induction

After reading your post last night Lissy - it's made me question my path? Meaning BT or Atkins! You mentioned in another post that you decided to change, but what was the main thing that did it?

Just to get some feed back, what are some of the reasons for changing? Are there many of you that have changed from BT to Atkin and vise versa?

Also Sherrie, when you say restrictive for BT, what your opinion? I am still on detox so still getting into it for me to think it's restrictive!

Hope that makes sense!
      Amber...