Iodine

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• The answer is yes, but like I said in another thread iodised salt is the easiest way to take it (or you could eat more seafood which is a good source of iodine). The bottom line is you only need tiny amounts of it (a fraction of a milligram a day) but you can't store it so you need in you diet or in additives especially if you live in an area where there is little iodine in the soil (and hence the food grown locally is also iodine deficient).

There was an interesting story on catalyst a couple of years back about the issues iodine deficiency causes/caused in both Tibet/Nepal(?) where cretinism was a major problem and it also covered some of the areas in Australia where soils compound th eproblems created by anti salt hysteria.

- ah here it is (it was Tibet)

abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s1497255.htm
      Started LC (PP) Dec 2003
      114/86.5/85
      BF 30+/17/15
    • Some more interesting facts

It was while treating a large 320-pound woman with insulin dependent diabetes that we learned a valuable lesson regarding the role of iodine in hormone receptor function.

This woman had come in via the emergency room with a very high random blood sugar of 1,380 mg/dl. She was then started on insulin during her hospitalization and was instructed on the use of a home glucometer. She was to use her glucometer two times per day.

Two weeks later on her return office visit for a checkup of her insulin dependent diabetes she was informed that during her hospital physical examination she was noted to have FBD. She was recommended to start on 50 mg ofiodine(4 tablets) at that time.

One week later she called us requesting to lower the level of insulin due to having problems with hypoglycemia. She was told to continue to drop her insulin levels as long as she was experiencing hypoglycemia and to monitor her blood sugars carefully with her glucometer.

Four weeks later during an office visit her glucometer was downloaded to my office computer, which showed her to have an average random blood sugar of 98. I praised the patient for her diligent efforts to control her diet and her good work at keeping her sugars under control with the insulin. She then informed me that she had come off her insulin three weeks earlier and had not been taking any medications to lower her blood sugar. When asked what she felt the big change was, she felt that her diabetes was under better control due to the use of iodine.

Two years later and 70 pounds lighter this patient continues to have excellent glucose control on iodine 50 mg per day. We since have done a study of twelve diabetics and in six cases we were able to wean all of these patients off of medications for their diabetes and were able to maintain a hemoglobin A1C of less than 5.8 with the average random blood sugar of less than 100. To this date these patients continue to have excellent control of their Type II diabetes.

The range of daily iodine intake was from 50 mg to 100 mg per day. All diabetic patients were able to lower the total amount of medications necessary to control their diabetes. Two of the twelve patients were controlled with the use of iodine plus one medication. Two patients have control of diabetes with iodine plus two medications. One patient had control of her diabetes with three medications plus iodine 50 mg. The one insulin dependent diabetic was able to reduce the intake of Lantus insulin from 98 units to 44 units per day within a period of a few weeks.

We have received many comments over the last two years. Following orthoiodosupplementation, patients have described vivid dreams, dissipated depression, no more cold extremities, (I just wrote that in my diary today!)more energy and less fatigue.

Patients have noticed an overall feeling of well-being. Patients have noticed a loss of weight. One patient after taking four pills of iodine lost eight pounds of fluid weight in 24 hours. We have had patients note better bowel function. Patients who have been constipated for over ten years have now noted daily bowel movements. We have also had patients noted relief from leg cramps at night. In less than 1% of all the patients treated with I, have we seen an allergic reaction. More often than not, the allergic reaction is hives.

Iodine induces apoptosis and inhibits cells from forming cancer. The absence of iodine in the thyroid causes goiter(3,4). Goiter is associated with breast cancer, stomach cancer, esophageal cancer, ovarian cancer and endometrial cancer . It is felt by many researchers that the absence of iodine is a promoter of cancer. I feel that those patients with the lowest excretion rates and the highest absorption of iodine on the iodine loading test are the ones with the highest risk for development of cancer. From literally hundreds of phone interviews with patients over the last two years, the levels of iodine excretion that seem to raise the highest alarm are those in which the excretion is somewhere around 10 mg or less per 24 hours in patients age 35 and up. My observations at this point show that there is a definite increase in the incidence of breast cancer, stomach cancer, ovarian cancer or thyroid cancer.

optimox.com/pics/Iodine/IOD-10/IOD_10.htm
      My Blog
      First Mini Goal of 1.6 achieved - 30-7-2013

MINI GOAL

BIGGER GOAL

BIGGEST GOAL TO COME
    • I haven't been saying too much about supplementing iodine with iodine supplements because I recall reading before that this can be bad as well. Anyway the the book I ordered by Dr Barry Durrant-Peatfield that I spoke about in the Thyroid 101 thread arrived today and I have been reading it this afternoon. In this book he is also warning that too much iodine can also suppress the thyroid. He has mentioned that he will go into this more in a later chapter so I will come back when I get to it.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • since thermometers is a hot topic at the moment here's something for you :D

A very tired nurse walks into a bank,totally exhausted after an 18-hour shift.

Preparing to write a cheque, she pulls a rectal thermometer out of her purse
      and tries to write with it.

When she realizes her mistake, she looks at the flabbergasted teller and without missing a beat, she says:

'Well, that's great....that's just great....

Some asshole's got my pen!'
      Start date AGAIN August 24 2010

Cheers
      Cazza xx
    • I think it was 36.6 that is normal and you need to do the basal temp over days 1-5 of your cycle. Oh and alcohol can cause low readings.

Yes Wen you have to be very careful supplementing iodine because you could just make things worse, I think he said to watch for signs of hypothyroidism, will get back to reading it this afternoon after I have been to the market. Oh and I think somewhere he mentioned ppl with hashis being extra sensitive to iodine. So I am thinking if someone suspects a thyroid problem it might be best to rule that out first? I will double check that it was hashis later. It is a really easy book to read but I will probably have to read it another couple of times before it all sinks in.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Here's an excerpt (pg 86-87 chapter 7):

A deficiency of iodine intake increases the secretion of TSH from the pituitary, and lessens the manufacture of T4. The balance of T3 to the amount of T4 is disturbed, and the amount of T3 becomes relatively more in proportion to T4, even though both are reduced.

This gives me the impression that if deficiency was the reason for poor thyroid function your TSH would be raised (mines not). Then he goes on to say:

Taking in excess of iodide has quite a different effect. The iodine now causes the biosynthetic enzymes in the thyroid to reduce their activity, with the effect of reducing thyroid output, though the TSH may be raised. Goitre formation may be induced and thus eventually hypothyroidism. Marine showed that 2 grams of potassium iodide twice a year was sufficient to prevent hypothyroidism due to low ingestion of iodine, and more recently, Larson in 1974 showed that patients on abnormal diets restricted in iodine salts, or on diuretics for an extended time, so reduced the iodine pool that hypothyroidism could result. Worth noting too is that pregnant women require extra iodine, but not too much or the baby may be rendered hypothyroid. Adult needs are thought to be no more than about 100-200mcg daily. It might be of further interest to note that in coastal regions of Japan where they eat a great deal of fish, the high levels of iodine raise the incidence of hypothyroidism to 2 or 3 times the average.

The aspect of thyroid hormone and iodine that is extremely important to us is the effect on breast tissue. Broda Barnes showed four decades ago that if the thyroid status was normal, with thyroid supplementation if required, then his patients simply didn't get breast cancer. Other workers, Venturi, Eskin, and Derry, showed that iodine had a similar effect; the iodine prevented the cystic hyperplasia (lumpy breast tissue), which may be a precursor to breast cancer. It may be that a high iodine intake largely prevents breast cancer, although the fatty acid derivative EPA in the fish may be playing a role. Japanese women, who, as we saw, eat a lot of fish and therefore iodine rarely get breast cancer;this was also true of Icelandic ladies, but they now enjoy a more European diet, and notably suffer increasingly from breast cancer. Most of these ladies had small thyroids due to the abundance of dietary iodine and now many of them have developed hypothyroidism.

Careful research has shown that excess iodine may shut down the thyroid in people with marginal thyroid function;indeed, it can be used for a short period to reduce the activity of the over-active thyroid. This places us in something of a quandary. Iodine has a number of beneficial effects in the body as a whole, and protects against breast cancer. Dr Derry, in Cananda, believes that 2-3mg of Lugol's Iodine daily will prevent breast cancer, though the recommended standard daily dose is much less then this (100mcg-200mcg daily). Clearly then, this higher dose of iodine may lower thyroid activity; and if substantial dose of iodine is to be used, the thyroid activity must be carefully monitored.

It is clear that patients with pre-existing thyroid disease (notably Hashimoto's disease by ironic coincidence) are abnormally sensitive to excess iodine, and even a small excess may cause a small but significant reduction in thyroid output.

• The directions I have for mine suggest that you do a course for three weeks of up to 10 drops 3 x daily, there is 6.5mg per drop

after the 3 weeks you can continue with a couple of drops a day.

it does say too that with an overactive thryoid and if you are on thyroid tablets it can overstimulate the thyroid.

It also says eventual additional iodine may normalize thyroid function.

Well, I know that I feel better on it and it does raise my temperature, I might drop the dose a bit and keep it going for the 3 weeks and see what happens when i stop, or reduce to a few drops a day.
      My Blog
      First Mini Goal of 1.6 achieved - 30-7-2013

MINI GOAL

BIGGER GOAL

BIGGEST GOAL TO COME
    • Wen are you really taking 6.5mg per drop?

Don't forget this snippet from that excerpt I quoted:

Dr Derry, in Cananda, believes that 2-3mg of Lugol's Iodine daily will prevent breast cancer, though the recommended standard daily dose is much less then this (100mcg-200mcg daily). Clearly then, this higher dose of iodine may lower thyroid activity; and if substantial dose of iodine is to be used, the thyroid activity must be carefully monitored.

• Hey just wanted to update with this other book I have been reading, It Could Still Be Your Thyroid by Dr Peter Baratosy. In there he seems to think higher doses aren't so bad BUT he does mention some other interesting things that the other book doesn't e.g. if you supplement iodine when you're really deficient in selenium then initially you will go hyperthyroid until your thyroid starts destructing itself and then you go hypothyroid. Same if you supplement selenium when you really need iodine, you wind up more hypothyroid then you were in the first place. He states that supplementing the wrong one can be dangerous.

On the plus side regarding iodine he mentions a study on iodine deficiency in Melbourne school children. 76% of the student had abnormal urine tests for iodine values with 27% classed as moderate to severe. That's a pretty big chunk and very important considering iodine deficiency effects IQ. Another study in another school was then done which confirmed the findings in the Melbourne study!

He says that even a mild deficiency can have a negative effect on development and IQ causing learning disabilities.

Another thing he mentions is that the breasts compete with the thyroid for iodine and that could partly account for the greater incidence in women compared to men and that you need both forms (iodine and iodide) as your breast and thyroid have different preferences.

He also goes into a lot about fluoride and how it negatively effects our iodine uptake.