Bodytrim V Atkins?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Bodytrim V Atkins?

I couldn't agree with you more Knight76!

The majority of my family swear by WW and it has worked for them, just not for me! I think the main thing is like you said, you find something that works and stick with it. To think I have been searching since I was about 13 years old! (am 31 now!) and it took that long to find something I am finally comfortable with that is also working. About time is all I can say!!:D

Sherri, I did move out of induction by adding in additional lower carb veggies, nuts and berries but it still didn't really give me the energy I needed and I also found that I started to gain:confused: The only thing I can think of is since I was never hungry on Atkins I probably only ate a couple of times a day? After an Atkins type meal I would be satiated for hours. Maybe if I applied the "don't ever go for longer than 3 hours without food" approach to the Atkins program, it may have been more successful for me energy wise?? I must admit though, I am not following the low fat rules of BT very strictly, I don't really think a bit of fat matters to be honest, that is what helps to keep the hunger at bay. I have still been making meals with full fat cream in them and I also add a sprinkle of full fat cheese to my salads and I add flax oil to my protein shakes and I still keep losing :)

The only thing I can think of as to why others have had such severe reactions to BT such as the fainting and lightheadedness is maybe because they were only eating exactly every 3 hours? Or maybe they were eating the very low fat proteins (like fish or chicken). I eat mostly red meat (in the form of rissoles) and cottage cheese (which has small amounts of carbs) If necessary you can eat up to every hour also. At first I thought the meals HAD to be 3 hours apart so I was sitting up to all hours of the night just to get my last snack in! (doh!)

Hey Tarni, I know what you mean, Dr Atkins does say that you must not go longer then 5 hours without eating also like I explained perhaps in Lissy's diary is that when you add in things like weight training and intensive exercise you have to tailor the diet to suit you. When Dr Atkins says that you can stay on induction for longer if you have lots to lose, hes obviously referring to obese people that are still having trouble exercising and whose blood sugars etc are really messed up from their previous lifestyle. Also, when moving out of induction you're meant to increase your carbs each week until reaching your carb tolerance. When I lost my weight on Atkins back in 2002 I did the same thing as you, I stuck to 20-30g per day on my own version of extended induction (e.g. nuts and berries and not limiting cream and cheese though I am not a big cheese eater anyway). Those last few kgs I lost by using refeeds worked well for a while but then the energy problems came back even with having carbs around my workouts. Looking back what I think I should have done though is worked out my carb tolerance from the start. Although ultimately I think it was my progesterone pill that started a lot of the ball rolling so things may have been a bit different if I wasn't taking it.

Tarni, I am pretty sure one of the BT ladies was eating/snacking every 2 hours and then every 1 hour. You're actually the first to say 3 hours that I recall.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

With BT you can't go any longer than 3 hours without eating. I guess it depends what you have been snacking on that dictates when you might have to eat again. I know when I have a beef rissole, I can pretty much go for 2-3hours until eating again. But if I have cottage cheese as a snack I tend to need something else to eat after about 1 hour. This is where I think that fats also come into play in the satiety level as beef rissoles have more fat in them than cottage cheese.

I love Atkins as a program and i am using some of his ideas (by using cream, cheese and fats in small - moderate amounts) but another reason I failed is the "thinking" that I can never eat carbs again (sets me up for failure every time!) and I have never been a big fan of counting anything (ie points, calories, carbs etc) I would just rather have a list of what to eat! From what I remember i think Atkins likes people to work out their own (ACL??) levels by gradually increasing your carbs by 5g per day over weekly periods to see if you gain, lose or maintain, then keep increasing by 5g increments until you reach a point where you maintain your weight. But all that seems like too much hard work for me! LOL!! I am so lazy, if someone else can work out the maths part, I am more than happy to do the rest!:p

Yes that's right but I guess its all relative and individual. e.g. you count carbs but on BT you weigh portion sizes and are tied to so many meals per day so I guess its what ever floats your boat isn't it, after all it has to be something you can make a lifestyle.

But one thing to keep in mind re BT is if it was done how it is meant to or how people tend to do it (with out cream etc) the result might be different.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

TLP wrote:

I love Atkins as a program and i am using some of his ideas (by using cream, cheese and fats in small - moderate amounts) but another reason I failed is the "thinking" that I can never eat carbs again (sets me up for failure every time!) and I have never been a big fan of counting anything (ie points, calories, carbs etc)

Yes as Sherrie said we end up counting one way or another, but the thing to remember is that once you get use to the quantities etc, you pretty much know what your having without having to count every day.

With your mind set about the never eating carbs again, for my own big picture I see myself further down the line (when I can control my weight) being able to have the occasional carb treat - when my metabolism can handle it, I think it's very daunting for anyone to start a diet thinking they can never have their little favorites again.
      But if it's a lifestyle you learn along the way and when you have that little something that you miss it's right back into your life eating plan the next day.
      I'm yet to get there and practice my theory though :D

All the best

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

Hi TLP,

Glad to hear BT is working for you as it is working for me too.

I would like to ask those who have an opinion about it, like Dave whether he's got the whole BT program at home and whether he's worked out the calories for himself. I don't think it's low cal. I have three sons who do body building and who are on BT and none of them have fainted or had any issues. And they stick to it much, much better than I do :D

I have added more animal fats to my diet since starting on BT, a-la Atkins, but the BT system itself is working for me. I love the "cheat" day, like TLP it's something that helps keep me motivated the rest of the week. The "cheat" is also not supposed to be a carb/sugar binge, but rather a day on which one to two meals contain a few more carbs than normal. A bit like a refeed.

The program helps me be more organised around my food and plan better. It also helps me lose weight in a way that I am happy to keep doing for the rest of my life.

I'd like to say that I am happy to try anything that's healthy and sustainable and that keeps my weight down. I find Atkins daunting and finicky and that's why I am not on it. I find Bt simple and easy and that's why it's for me.

It's what works for you Dave, not my-way-or-the-highway. I came to this forum because I believed it was a LC forum, but I am really getting sick of the fact that it seems to be the Atkins-ONLY forum. We BTs are constantly being attacked about BT and I am quite over it, really. :mad:
      Start Date 6 Jan 2009I don't want to lose weight fast, I want to lose weight forever

Chrysalis how is BT constantly attacked? Do you mean people can't share their opinion on something that someone else tells them about? E.g. BT person tells you about their plan and someone gives their opinion on that? I mean it is not like you can go to their website and see from the horses mouth what all the details are about as you have to fork out nearly $200 so your only choice really is to rely on other BT'ers to relay their experience on it and what they say about the plan (foods they eat etc). I form my opinion on whether it can get low calorie or not from asking BT'ers in the BT thread what exactly they eat and then plugging the foods in and working out their calories, we had a conversation on this ages ago in there. Simply saying that it can get low in calories is not an attack and this is the only thing I can think of that has been said more then once?

Chrysalis, I have the BT kit and access to the forum. Not because I did the program but because I am a huge sticky beak and wanted to know what the program was all about :p

My biggest issue with it (and you have addressed it already) was the attitude some people had to the free day cheat meals. I used to try and get through to people that a free day doesn't mean you can gorge yourself on chocolate biscuits and milkshakes but some people just don't get it. That is really my only problem with BT - he needs to realise that some people will take him literally at his word and in his DVDs he does say you can eat whatever you want for your 2 cheat meals. If he made it clearer than I would be happier with it. Not that a cheat meal would be right for me or a lot of other carb addicts.

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wBNvBCc/weight.png]

"The most important person to be honest with is yourself"

I am actually one of those people who does eat whatever I like for my 2 free meals :eek: It is obviously up to personal choice whether you gorge on crappy carbs or add a bit of rice to your evening meal, but I guess that people that want to lose faster add a few more 'better choice' carbs than someone who doesn't mind losing at a slower rate (like me!!). I know that alot of the BT'ers on the BT forum have stated that now when they try to eat their fave foods they can't as it all tastes horrible (wish that happened to me, I only find it all tastes better now coz I don't eat it as often, as they say "absence makes the heart grow fonder", and apparently it's the same for my tastebuds!) LOL!:p

Seriously, you should have seen what I ate (and drank) over my 2 free meals on the easter weekend! I had pasta salad, potato salad, potato bake, plus kebabs, rissoles, steak etc for dinner. I ate chocolate and triffle (for dessert) plus a mini caramel tart. I drank maybe a bottle of wine, some sugarfree vodka cruisers.........it was also TTOM for me so I was retaining some fluid (as I do about 1 week up to and 1 week after) and I still LOST weight for the week! I was stoked! This has never happened to me before! I also don't even bloat the day after my free day. Carbs used to make my stomach bloat like a puffer fish but the next day i seem to be fine now, guessing my body has just gotten used to it.

But we are all different, some BT'ers can't stand the carb hangover the next day, but I love the next day after free day as it's about the only day of the week I go to the toilet! (sorry guys bit too much info there!):p
      I really do understand that once some people start having 'free' days that it can be hard for them to stop, but I am very grateful for that one day and it seems to work for me. I even look forward to my protein only day too!

Oh and not to forget a big thanks to Chrysalis whose advice got me to purchase the BT program in the first place! You are a treasure for sharing your story! If I hadn't have read your opinion of the program I doubt I would have purchased it! So thankyou, thankyou, and thankyou again! :D

Tarni, when I did refeeds (one day per week) I used to eat carbs for all meals, pretty much pure carb based and very starchy (intentionally) and I had no problems either but I think doing weights played a big factor in it as well as I did not appear to have any food intolerance to what I was eating. But by the time I got to dinner I used to be so full and would not eat much and then the next day I would not feel hungry until lunchtime at the earliest.

Sherrie you have opinions and offer valuable insights, and you are entitled to your opinions. Saying you think this might be a low calorie diet is an opinion, saying it's a scam and implying that those on this diet are dupes - as per Dave - is an attack. It also begs the question, why do you think we are loving BT? Do you think they're paying us to say this? Do you think we're making it up or lying about what it's doing for us? Just exactly why would anyone say something was working for them if it wasn't? No-one's paying us to do it you know. And yes, the proof of the pudding might be in the eating, but I see plenty of ex-Atkinsers coming on here and on the Atkins forum saying they put the weight back on again when they fell off the Atkins wagon, so why does BT have to be perfect?

I have BIG boys, they're all 6' plus and they are well built -there is no way they would be able to go on, on BT if it was as calorie restricted as you seem to think it it. Nor would I for that matter as I like food and I like to eat good food. I am also a comfort eater, so if this eating plan left me even a little bit hungry I would not have lasted a week on it. Since it doesn't contain "fillers" e.g. carbs and starch, I have to conclude that I am getting enough food in. In fact sometimes I am so full of protein that I can barely eat dinner and my snack, but that's the plan yes? No hunger & no cravings. Nothing fills you like protein does, especially animal protein.

As I have said before I know many people who would love to take Atkins fans on - people who will tell you they followed the Atkins diet and it did not work for them. Some of them even come here to this site, still keen to give LC a go. If you have people fainting on BT they're doing it wrong, just like you always tell people they're doing Atkins wrong if it doesn't work for them.

You do however attack BT for selling it's product. Last time I looked Dr. Atkins's books were ON SALE in the bookshops. :eek: They certainly weren't giving them away for free. And those bars and shakes and things? What's all that about :confused: Sure you can say that's not the real Atkins, but truth to tell, many people who join this site are following the "new" Atkins, which looks a lot like BT to me. Most of them at least bought a book. I bought a book and four motivational DVDs from BT. I could've done the same and spent the same amount of money on Atkins. As for the eating plan being secret unless you pay for it, it was published in a book called Myths, Lies and Exercise. There are sample recipes available to browse on the website. If you're still curious you can even get it on a trial period - free of charge. It's not top secret, it's not hard to follow, you don't have to weigh anything (100-150g of protein OR "the size of your fist"), you eat more protein, less carbs, less sugar and once a week you up your carbs so that your body doesn't get used to the low carb diet. Then the next day you detox on protein only. Not the Atkins way, but then if we wanted to go the Atkins way we would have done that, wouldn't we?

Our bodies work in a certain way and that's the way it is, that's true, but psychologically we are all different and some may find the BT way of doing LC easier whilst others prefer Atkins. In the end it's about more protein, less carbs. More animal protein & animal fats and less starch & sugar without starving yourself. Certainly BT is not Atkins-in-disguise, it's a system all on it's own, albeit LC/HP like Atkins. Nowhere in the book does it tell me to eat marg instead of butter. Nowhere does it tell me I can't eat the fat on my meat if I want to. He suggests that you remove extra fat and eat lean meats, but it's not a law and nowhere does he suggest that lean meat is the key to losing weight. If anything I see BT trying to be a little bit more "user friendly" (just like the new Atkins) to those who would run a mile in the other direction if you breathed the words low carb. I can understand that given the reaction I've encountered from some. But that doesn't make it a bad program. Simply one that's trying to attract people it normally would not have attracted, and I'm all for it because the more people learn about LC the better.

In the end what matters is that we are all for a LC HP diet which means:

A) We are eating protein as our main source of energy and not grains and sugar
      B) We are limiting carbs and sugars drastically in order to prevent our bodies from using sugar in these forms as energy
      C) We are eating regularly to keep our metabolism going
      D) We are cutting out transfats from our diets
      E) We are healthier because we do what comes naturally to our bodies

This is what Atkins says about fats and it sure sounds a lot like BT to me (except for the shameless plug to buy their sweets) :D;
      "Phase 1, Induction, is a brief jumpstart phase that supercharges your body's fat-burning power.

Here's what you'll do: You'll REV Up Your Metabolism and Start Burning Fat...During Induction, you'll reduce your carbohydrate intake to 20 Net Carbs per day. As you reduce carbs and sugars and you start increasing your activity level, your body revs into action and begins to use fat for your primary fuel source, resulting in weight loss.

You'll Eat a Variety of Foods...During Induction, you eat lean protein such as chicken, fish, lean cuts of beef, eggs and more. You can have your choice of good fats; olive oil is one of the best. Plus, you'll eat leafy greens, a variety of fresh, colorful vegetables and of course, sweet Atkins snacks. You will be happy."

Shez,
      I'm glad you got the DVDs. I hear what you are saying about the cheat meals, but I think you missed something somewhere because I certainly didn't think it meant gorging on junk. On pg 168 of the book it says; "Your free day is one day a week in which you can eat whatever you want! We recommend keeping your snacks the same, but having 2 meals as your cheat meals either breakfast/lunch or lunch/dinner etc. We include a free day because it means that you can still enjoy your favourite food, but also it is good for your metabolism." In the DVD's he also refers to eating your favourite MEALS on your free day. This is so that you give your metabolism a shake-up, but also so you don't feel deprived when mum's made that roast with those little Rosemary potatoes that she knows you love & everyone's having them on Saturday - except you. I might be wrong, but last time I looked chocolate biscuits and milkshakes did not constitute a meal. At best they are a snack and if you read the quote above it clearly says that it's recommended you keep to your protein only snacks. This doesn't mean my family hasn't had a day of junk snacking, but then I do know what the Atkins diet lists for the refeed period and it's no worse than that :eek:.

For me, and others, the cheat day works because if I didn't have it I would feel deprived and want to cheat all of the time. I don't like being told what to do and what not....that's just the way my cooky brain works. So I am very glad for that cheat day and I now plan a lovely meal for it which most of the time includes only a glass of red wine as my "cheat", if that. As time goes by I am feeling less of a need for the "cheat" day, but having it there is like a comforter, if I need to have that freshly baked Challah on Friday night I can. I don't have to, but I can and that, believe it or not, makes a world of difference to me :p

I don't know why this has to be a BT v Atkins thread. Both are trying to reintroduce people to the concept of eating the way our ancestors did, both are LC/HP and seem to be giving the same message about protein and carbs. This is a Low Carb forum so can't we be nice about this and agree that people approach things differently?

TLP, Thanks for the thanks & best of luck to you. :D
      Start Date 6 Jan 2009I don't want to lose weight fast, I want to lose weight forever

The post was edited 2 times, last by Chrysalis ().

Chrysalis I have not attacked you nor anyone else re BT, Have I said that it can be low calorie based on what people following BT have said if you do it all low fat yes, are you telling, me this isn't true? and what is wrong with that?

You feel full, that's great but that doesn't always mean a person eats enough calories, I have read that same line by people eating 600 calories on another low carb diet. Does that mean your calories are low? no, I have no idea what your calories are but feel free to tell me what they are, I just simply don't take that comment at face value as ketosis blunts appetite and in some people it blunts it A LOT.

Refeed list on Atkins? There is no refeed list on Atkins! There is a refeed section here because this is a low carb forum not just Atkins. Atkins is just a good general place to start and people go from there or try one of the others like protein power, life without bread etc it is just the most popular and what most are familiar with.

Are you saying that if I say be careful that your calories don't get too low I am attacking? If someone on Atkins wasn't eating enough I would say the same thing. Are you saying that if you followed BT by the book (which correct me if I am wrong but protein wise (atleast for women) it is 3 main meals of 100g protein and 3 50g snacks yes?) that if you stuck with all lean sources for these that you may need to watch that your calories didn't get too low? Surely you agree with that? and what about those people that skip snacks/meals or eat mostly chicken and fish, surely it is important for them to be aware that they may risk their calories getting really too low if they do it that way?

As for the money side of either diet? I think both are about money, I don't think Atkins started that way but I think it has become that way (which started before he died and became much worse after), I always say straight off I don't reccomend buying their products or even their latest books for that exact reason and I have never shyed away from stating that and I have stated many times that I think this is impacting whats on their website now and that they are, whats the word? "selling the diet short for the sake of money and political correctness". What you quoted about lean meat, Dr Atkins would turn in his grave! Chrysalis his diet was never about lean meat it was about leaving the fat on! He was about eating plenty of fat and losing weight, infact in his book (atleast the ones before he diet) he warns against doing his diet the low fat way. What you see on the Atkins website now is different to when he was alive. Low carb isn't really even about high protein it is about moderate protein. [FYI: I don't think Atkins is perfect either, just a good place to start and then you go from there]

As for BT and the money side of it, not that I ever go into peoples threads and say I think BT is a fad diet yada yada but if you want to go there yes I did get turned off when they tried to pull the plug on their members forum access and support and make it ALL paid. They only made some of it paid in the end but that was because everyone kicked up a stink. Thats the monetary part of it that turned me off on the money side of things and it is the only part I ever had a problem with? and certainly not something I have even thought about recently let alone mentioned? I have never once said that I think a person following this diet is a dupe or anything of the like and I really don't appreciate it.

Dave said his personal opinion was that he thought the BT diet was a fad? It wasn't anything personal just his strong opinion on what he deems to be low fat diets and something he stated once and I don't even think it was recently? Why not just reply with "why do you think BT is a fad?" and then correct him on where you think he may have misunderstood on what the diet is about and explain why.

No-one needs to be offended nor has anyone been constantly attacked, I am sorry if you feel that way but no-one is attacking you or anyone else that follows it.

This thread is here because someone (the thread starter) wanted to know what the difference was between the two as they had seen them both mentioned a lot on this forum, I think it was a good question.

Shez wrote:

My biggest issue with it (and you have addressed it already) was the attitude some people had to the free day cheat meals. I used to try and get through to people that a free day doesn't mean you can gorge yourself on chocolate biscuits and milkshakes but some people just don't get it.

Chrysalis wrote:

Shez,
      I'm glad you got the DVDs. I hear what you are saying about the cheat meals, but I think you missed something somewhere because I certainly didn't think it meant gorging on junk.

I've put my quote in as well as yours so you can see I din't actually miss the point. I was saying that SOME PEOPLE'S ATTITUDE was wrong. Not mine, I understood where he was coming from and you seem to as well. But if you read back through the diaries of SOME people here you will see that their idea of a cheat meal was very different to what we think it should be.

Chrysalis wrote:

This is a Low Carb forum so can't we be nice about this and agree that people approach things differently?

Agree totally but then I always thought we were being nice :D Sherrie in particular is always there for help and advice and she gives it to you straight. She has done it to me about Atkins too if she thinks I'm not eating enough/too much etc. I would really hate to see it come down to not saying anything about a program that someone is following for fear of offending them.

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wBNvBCc/weight.png]

"The most important person to be honest with is yourself"

Chrysalis wrote:

There are sample recipes available to browse on the website.

Okay I have worked out the calories for their sample recipes, I have also worked out a menu, they do not provide snack recipes so I used info here using basically 50g lots of what BT people here have listed as snack foods so feel free to add input to the snacks.

Most main meals average around 250 calories there was one that was actually 463 calories so I used that in my menu example. where things have been vague I have OVER ESTIMATED, e.g. if the say 1-2 eggs I use 2 large eggs, where they said 1 small tin of tuna I used tuna in olive oil and I did not use the smallest size (I used a 125g tin of tuna instead of 85g). There was one recipe that said serves 4-5, I calculated it as 4 serves. Things like that, I also used the Australian calorie king website for my info because the recipes are using portion sizes so calories and net carbs will be a little overestimated. There were a couple of things I couldn't get a measurement on which I left out as a bigger estimate was only around 1 calorie anyway e.g. fresh coriander.

Where they have stated in their recipe to omit an ingredient during the weight loss phase because it is maintenance only I have ommited it (e.g. quinoa, millet and almonds).

Sample Menu:

Breakfast: Eggs and smoked salmon on toast: 255 calories

Lunch: Tuna, kidney beans & quinoa salad with harissa dressing: 463 calories

Dinner: Spicy Beef with Green Beans 258 calories

3 main meals total: 976 calories

Snacks???

Chicken breast 50g: 83 calories
      low fat cottage cheese 50g: 45 calories
      fresh salmon 50g: 92 calories

Total 220 calories

Main meals and snacks: 1196 calories

Heres my estimates for all recipes:

Chicken and vegetable soup (serves 2): Per serve: calories 225.5 fat 0.65g protein 2.75g net carbs 14.6g

Eggs and smoked salmon on toast (1-2 eggs) 1 serve: Total: calories 255 fat 11.8g protein 25.1g net carbs 10.4g

Millet Chicken and vegetable pillaf (serves 4): Per serve: calories 347 fat 19.85g protein 30.5g net carbs 9g

Spicy Beef with Green Beans (serves 4): per serve: calories 258 .75 fat 11.2g protein 28.9g net carbs 8.1g

Tofu with red curry and coconut (serves 4-5): per serve (4 serves): calories 222.7 fat 15.7g protein 13.4g net carbs 6.4g

Tuna, kidney beans & quinoa salad with harissa dressing (serves 2):
      Per serve: calories 463 fat 29.25g protein 32.85g net carbs 11.05g

tuna tomato and light fat cheese on toast (serves 1): Total: calories 266 fat 10.3g protein 29.4g net carbs 12.5g

Vanilla protein cereal: Total: calories 314 fat 1.6g protein 29.6g carbs 34.6g

Here is a text file that shows all my working out for each recipe:
      Files

Shez wrote:

Agree totally but then I always thought we were being nice :D Sherrie in particular is always there for help and advice and she gives it to you straight. She has done it to me about Atkins too if she thinks I'm not eating enough/too much etc. I would really hate to see it come down to not saying anything about a program that someone is following for fear of offending them.

If this happened, then at least for me this would be the end of this site as this is what this website is about. It is about awareness and thinking for yourself and not just totally trusting what one person (me included) tells you with blind faith. It's also about responsibilty for when you say a diet can or can't be low fat e.g. usually the ones here that love BT and say the program works great as it is but under the same breath will say they add a bit of Atkins in it in that they have a little extra fat, use cream cheese, make oopsie rolls etc (obviously there's pitfalls just like with any other diet)

What you need to keep in mind is when people follow BT they follow reccomendations such as choose lean sources of protein, low fat cottage cheese, low fat milk. This is the reccomendations given so if someone does just that and their calories are low, you can't just say they are doing it wrong because thats not true. This is why I say it is important on a plan like this to be aware of how much you're eating. Hunger can't always be your guide because sometimes ketosis blunts it really good, especially for a first time low carber.

Every BT person here has been allowed to praise their diet and say their opinion on other low carbs diets, this goes the other way too, it is not a one way street and it is not personal to any person following a plan. Any person that brings out a diet plan or diet book that you pay for have a bias towards making money, this is just a fact, the diet industry is a huge money spinner. Just wait, in a few months we will have yet another new shake diet endorsed by someone from this years Biggest Loser :rolleyes:

If you want a forum where no concerns will ever be raised about a diet someone is on and where someone can't say something on their mind unless it is only positive then you're in the wrong the place. This site is hopefully about trying to avoid the yo-yo and just doing the best you can and for those stuck in it, hopefully to help you on your journey on figuring out how to get out of that viscous cycle rather then encouraging you to get deeper in, which means being aware of the pitfalls that dieting brings.

Thankyou for taking the time to work out the estimated calories for BT Sherrie! :D I have been curious about that!

I think my daily calories would be a little higher as I tend to have 100g snacks (as opposed to 50g snacks) it can be between 50-100g depending on hunger levels and I tend to eat the heavier type proteins such as red meat (I tend to live on rissoles they are easy to measure and precook for reheating!) which I think would also bump it up a bit. Then you are also permitted to add 1 tablespoon of low carb dip/dressing to all meals/snacks (which I do) so an extra 6 or so tablespoons of my fave Wattle Valley low carb dip or LC ranch or caesar dressing would increase calories again. So hopefully I might be somewhere in the vacinity of around 2000 calories per day! Which is great considering if I ate that in carbs I would be as fat as a house and hungry all day! Gotta love eating more and losing weight! Yeah!!!! :cool:

Coming from a calorie counting background I log all my BT meals and snacks at CK, and because I aim never to eat below my BMR (as calculated by a body composition scan) I tend to eat the male sized protein portions (because of my higher than average muscle mass, just wish i had a lower fat mass).

FYI my non cheat days average between 1480 and 1600 calories, and my cheat days come in around 2200. Only been going 4 weeks and am now 4 kgs down as at this mornings weigh in.

My fat would probably also be a bit higher than BT recommends, but all good fats. I keep my trans fat at 0 and my sat fat below 17g a day.

Hey Lynda, looks good :)

Saturated fat isn't bad, latest research is showing it to be neutral if anything and it also is much safer to cook with due to it's stability.