Low Carb Slow Cooked Lamb Roast in Cranberry Sauce

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Slow Cooked Lamb Roast in Cranberry Sauce

This is a great Low Carb Lamb recipe for Christmas and the Low Carb Cranberry sauce can be used for anything. The roast picture below, does not do it justice, sorry but I was in such a rush last night as I was running late with dinner and had to chuck a cheesecake in the oven afterwards. This is really good and I might do this for Christmas this year. For a treat that is not too carby you can replace the lemon with a freshly squeezed orange. You need to marinade the lamb in the sauce overnight. This would be great with shoulder as well and sometimes I will cook this in the slow cooker instead so I have room in the oven for other meats etc

Low Carb or Paleo Home-made Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:

300g/11oz unsweetened frozen Cranberries
      Juice from 2 lemons or an orange
      Your choice of sweetener to the equivalent give or take of 1/4 cup of sugar (just sweet enough). Use something like honey to keep it paleo. If using stevia only use a little, taste as you go.

Method:

Using a heavy based saucepan, add juice and sweetener and bring to boil then add frozen cranberries and bring back to boil. Simmer with lid on until cranberries burst then take off heat and let cool.

This is a thick sauce so you may get away with adding more liquid if you want to use it for something else but for the lamb I don't see the point in adding more liquid.

Now when the sauce was made fresh it was very tarty but this wasn't so pronounced and also seemed much sweeter once the lamb was cooked, I really liked it. We have used a commercial sauce to do this lamb before and I preferred this one.

Low Carb Roast Lamb with Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:

1 leg of lamb (over 2kg/4.5 pounds)
      Garlic cloves
      Fresh Rosemary
      Olive oil
      Freshly ground salt
      Home-made Cranberry Sauce

Method:

Remove Rosemary leaves from stems and grind the leaves, some garlic cloves, oil and salt and grind up in a food processor or one of those magic bullet type thingies. Mix this into the cranberry sauce.

Score over the top of the lamb in a criss cross pattern and gently place this and the sauce into a large freezer bag. Make sure the lamb is well covered in the sauce and tie up the bag making sure to let all air out of the bag. Place in large casserole dish with lid and leave in the fridge to marinate overnight. You can use a roasting pan but I prefer casserole dish as it is more snug fitting. If you don't have a lid and use alfoil, make sure to oil the alfoil in case the acidity from the cranberry sauce eats at the alfoil. You can omit the freezer bag, what I do now is put in it something really snug so it remains covered in the sauce.

Don't be like me :P (I always forget) but instead remove lamb from fridge and allow time for it to get to room temperature before cooking, this is meant to help with shrinking.

To cook Preheat oven to around 160-170C/300-340F, remove plastic bag and bake in oven with lid on for around 4-5 hours. If yours doesn't brown then you could take the lid off near the end but mine always browns in the casserole dish. It doesn't show so much in the photo but that's because I basted it and then realised it was time to take it out :P

The meat will be really tender, you could reduce the juices to make a thick gravy if you like but I prefer to just spoon them as they are and pour over the meat. I also pour it over my broccoli, yum :)

This also is great to roast in the barbie but you will need to adjust the cooking times and temp to suit your barbie as they usually cook quicker and I find you need to make sure it is kept off the bottom of the pan and that you baste regularly.

Oh and so its more lemony you could do what I do and chuck the leftover lemons that you used to juice into the dish with the lamb when you go to roast it (seeds removed of course) or you could just grate the rind into the cranberry sauce. I didn't do that this time because the sauce seemed so tarty when I made it.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Low Carb Slow Cooked Lamb Roast in Cranberry Sauce

Garry made us lunch with the leftovers, he chopped up some pumpkin and eggplant and gently fried them with the lamb and lamb juices, gosh it was yum!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.