Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake

This is based on a Nigella Lawson recipe from her book Feast, I used a different base as hers called for digestive biscuits. Instead I used the base for this recipe as my guide but I used less butter as I found it oily, I added a few tablespoons of dessicated/shredded coconut and then I added cinnamon as in Nigella's recipe. I also made my own pumpkin puree instead of using one out of a can. I stuffed mine up and cracked it, as I found her temperature was too hot plus I also used a pan full of hot water at the bottom of the oven rather then her method. By 1 hour mine was cracked and browning, so I turned the oven off early. I thought I had ruined it but this is surprisingly good, I found the texture very creamy for a baked cheesecake. I made a vanilla cream (see notes below recipe) to go on top to mask my crack, the original recipe had no cream on top :)

You could add pumpkin spices if you wish but I find them too much.

I forgot to take a pic before so here is a pic of Ryan's piece today

Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake

Base:

1.5 cups of hazelnuts
      2-3x 20ml tablespoons of butter, melted
      9 teaspoons of your chosen sweetener give or take
      3 spoonfuls of dessicated/shredded coconut (this was last minute addition because I thought it needed it)
      1/4 tsp cinnamon (I added a bit more but didn't measure)

Cheesecake:

420g/14.8oz Pureed Pumpkin * see notes below recipe
      750g/26.5oz cream cheese
      6 eggs
      1 cup of sweetener (I think I added less but can't remember so perhaps start with 3/4cup)
      juice of 1/2 lemon.

Method

Crust:

Roast hazelnuts in single layer in oven for about 10mins at 180C/350C and rub skins off. Process nuts until just ground and add other dry ingredients followed by gradually adding butter to right consistency. Press onto base of a greased spring form pan and bake until it just starts to brown. Cool

Cheesecake:

Preheat oven to 170C/338F (I would lower this personally)

Soften the cream cheese then add pumpkin and blend. Add sweetener then eggs one at a time mixing as you go. Scrape down and add lemon juice and mix until smooth being careful not to over mix and add air. Give it a tap and draw an s into the batter to try to burst any air bubbles.

Nigella then says to wrap outside of spring form pan with a couple of layers of cling wrap then sit on a layer of alfoil/tinfoil and wrap around edges to make it waterproof. Put pan in a roasting pan, pour cheesecake mixture into spring form pan and then add freshly boiled water to the roasting pan until about half way up.

Next wack in oven for 1 3/4 of an hour or until cheesecake is set with a little wobble in the centre. Remove from water bath and place on rack removing the alfoil at the same time and allow to cool before putting in the refrigerator.

Notes:

Pumpkin Puree

To make pumpkin puree simply roast half a pumpkin (with seeds etc removed) cut side buttered and facing down on a baking tray until soft (an hour or so). Remove pumpkin from skin and sit over a strainer for sometime to strain any excess liquid then puree.

Vanilla Cream

200ml/7oz of pure cream
      sweetener to taste
      Vanilla seed paste

Whip and spread over cool cheesecake and chill.

I find this cheesecake is even better after a couple of days
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: forgot to mention putting hot water in the water bath! ().

• Re: Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake

ohhh that is definately mouth watering sherrie!! last xmas my best friend came here and being half canadian offered to make me pumpkin pie,, it was surely different, that is for sure but so nice

Yum I so have to try this... not on induction of course!
      My Main Goal