Low Carb Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake

This is the yummiest low-carb chocolate cheesecake I have ever had (including high carb cheesecakes!) and will definitely be on my to do list for Christmas as I prefer this over the Pumpkin Cheesecake though I think Garry still wants the pumpkin one too :rollseyes: This is a little like having chocolate coated ice cream or at least it was to me. This is very creamy and you would think it contained condensed milk but it doesn't. I've also made a lemon curd version here

This recipe belongs to Gordon Ramsey (which i then de-carbed), as much as I like his shows ;) I have never found his recipes in his book, jump out to me so I hadn't made anything of his until I came across this recipe in the Australian Good Food mag. What caught my attention was the way he cooks it. I am not a big fan of baked cheesecakes, mainly because of the gluggy texture but I have been experimenting with them of late. I also find them really finicky to bake and some of the instructions are to me, silly as you need to go through all the insulating and water bathing just so it has a chance to survive a ridiculously hot oven for a ridiculously long time!

But then, I was reading his and it is so simple and common sense, not only that, but there's no fiddling around required other then to simply turn the oven off when the 30mins is up and leave it there, preferably overnight. I made mine late morning/early afternoon then just before bed I took it out and chucked it in the fridge. It was perfect, absolutely no cracks, it did not creep up the sides or sink and it was so creamy, anyone could do it!

Now I am obviously not the best swirler so *sigh* poor little ol me will have to practice... luckily I could live off this thing :D

Low Carb Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake

Serves: 10

Ingredients:

Base:

150g/5.3oz Almond meal (I didn't blanch mine this time)
      50g/1.8oz Desiccated/finely shredded coconut
      60g/2.1oz butter, melted
      12 splenda tablets, crushed or 1/4 cup of granular sweetener of your choice
      dash of vanilla

Filling:

600g/21.2oz Cream Cheese
      250g/8.8oz sour Cream
      2 Eggs
      25 splenda tablets, crushed or 1/2 cup granular sweetener (add a little extra if using erythritol)
      1 tsp vanilla extract
      75g/2.6oz Lindt 85% dark choc, melted

Method

Butter a 23cm spring form pan and Preheat oven to 170C/340F

Combine base ingredients and press into the base of the spring form pan and bake for 15 mins or until golden. Reduce oven temp to 140C/284F

Beat together all of the filling ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate and pour over the base. Tap gently to burst any large air bubbles and swirl the melted chocolate over the top.

Chuck in oven for 30mins and then turn the oven off and leave it alone for a long time, preferably overnight to cool. If you take it out to soon it may crack. When cooled, chill in the fridge.

That's it, how easy is that and it came out perfect!

Nutritional Information for 10 serves:

(only thing not included is the dash of vanilla in base)

Per Serve

Using splenda tablets:

518 calories, 10.9g protein, 50.5g fat, 5g carbs

Using splenda granular:

523 calories, 10.9g protein, 50.5g fat, 6.5g carbs
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Low Carb Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake

Thanks Sherrie, Looks great and I love the taste of condensed milk (use to)
      Will defieatly make this up after induction.
      Cheers

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

The almond meal base isn't Gordon Ramsays, his uses 150g digestive biscuits and 15g flaked almonds and 60g butter, btw you could easily shave off 50g of almonds from the recipe as there was plenty there for the base. I had started blanching my almonds first because it is meant to be better for cooking but I couldn't be bothered this time and not sure I agree anyway.

I have just updated the recipe with the nutritional info for both granular and splenda tablets.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

janal wrote:

Thanks Sherrie, Looks great and I love the taste of condensed milk (use to)
      Will defieatly make this up after induction.
      Cheers

Janal according to Garry he didn't taste condensed milk so it may be just me!

If you make it, have it as a breakfast it is very filling :).

Give it a go ZG it is nice :) doesn't have the texture of a baked cheesecake though or at least not too me.

Okay it's in the oven as I write this :D looks good but I'm a bit worried as I seemed to have a lot of filling left over. Did I do something wrong?

Will post after we've eaten it to let you know how it turned out.

"The most important person to be honest with is yourself"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Shez ().

You had filling left over? I had plenty of room in mine perhaps you have a smaller pan?

I am making one in the morning to take for xmas lunch :)

did you eat the leftover filling? :)

Oh Sherrie, you really are a bloody legend, ( no credit to gordon ramsey, its all you Sherrie). You know cheesecakes and i are best friends....this one may move to the top of my list by the looks of it. Wish i could have had this recipe for Chrissy (no computer at mums), that could have saved me eating too many berries and diet coke! Im back on induction eating til Friday, depending on Fridays weigh in, if there is not much damage, this cheesecake will be breakfast after breakfast, after breakfast, perhaps forever!!!

I really like this cheesecake, next time I am going to try it with cream instead of sour cream. I might even split the chocolate and do one with a choccy base one time, I got a cool idea on how to do a choccy base when I was making this Italian chocolate & hazelnut cake (which I wasn't a fan of).

Sherrie, i have just bought all the ingredients for this cheesecake with the shopping, but i proabably shouldnt have, cause im 1.7kg up since Chrissy and should probably be very strict for 2 weeks. Think ill do induction til Friday, then make the cheesecake. Hopefully ill be back to pre-Chrissy weight by then....Maybe if i made it without the base...

It is very yummy!!! Still have a little bit left here but it will be all gone tonight thankfully as it isn't Induction friendly. It is definitely a keeper recipe :)

The only thing I did differently is I used Sugarless Chocolate instead of Lindt.

"The most important person to be honest with is yourself"