Biggest Loser club just another 'Weight loss' Business

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Biggest Loser club just another 'Weight loss' Business

Osanna wrote:

Ok, I have a question (sorry if this has already been voiced). Often I hear the reason for using shakes is etc is time, the person is just so busy. Now if they are to busy to lose weight without the use of shakes, then aren't they going to be too busy to maintain their weight once they are off the shakes? One of the reasons (I believe) we are overweight is due to convenience foods, so swapping one for another just does not make sense in the long run.

Yep, Great logic! Makes sense to me!

And what advice to they give to people at goal? Or maybe they don't advise, they just aggressively market a dependence product.

I know first hand that their marketing (Including the show) has a big impact on obese people. In fact they are exploiting all the emotions and drama that exists for people and weight problems, but providing nothing new for a solution.

They can pretend it's inspiration, but we must never forget that it's 100% about profit. There is absolutely zero altruism on behalf on channel 10. It's a corporation, which itself it's completely unable to be altruistic.

They don't just exploit they make it worse because the obese people watching not only want to emulate these rapid weekly losses in weight loss but they have come to expect it and think it is healthy because that is how shows like biggest loser portray it. And now reading that these so called weekly losses are really fortnightly, well that just makes be sick!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

What is even more ridiculous, Osanna, is that even if people are busy and would rather have a 'shake', there are 1001 recipes for something quick and convenient and made from real fresh food that coulod suffice.

I used to make the most incredible shakes from Essential Greens powder (14 veges!), spirulina, Liquid Chlorophyl (bought in Coles!), unsweetened whey isolate powder and frozen blueberries - a million times better for you.

Everyone here is right, people buy the hype and want the 'dream' and our society has become so hooked on instant gratification, we are losing the ability to work naturally to achieve things.

Em
      "Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness,heart, talent, guts. That's what little girls are made of; the heck with sugar and spice."

Bethany Hamilton
      greatest female surfer of our time

Most of the time people buy into the hype for a "quick fix". But there is no such thing, there is a interim fix, but then really it just makes things worse. And you look at the market, its very rarely 30+ but moreso young 20's or people who have never dieted before and don't know this is just an old fad (that doesn't work) redressed.

Osanna wrote:

I have friends in their mid 30's who are serial dieters who are falling for these shake diets.

That's where you see a real 'mob' mentality too...humans are tribal and we love to have a collective experience - that is why you often don't get support when you refuse sweet things. Others want you to eat with them to justify their own bad habits!

Em
      "Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness,heart, talent, guts. That's what little girls are made of; the heck with sugar and spice."

Bethany Hamilton

DH is finding the mob mentality at work in his office, amongst the men no less. Every day since we've gone onto LC he's had to hear comments at work about how bad it is for you not to eat according to the food pyramid. He says if he has to hear another lecture on cholesterol when he eats his egg mid-morning snack he is going to run away :p At work this week I saw the same things. Everyone's on a new diet, the flavour of the month. They've given up on me since I made it clear to everyone ages ago that I think dieting's a waste of time, but I can still feel the pressure, even when they don't say a thing. It's like dieting's a way to be part of the group. They are also endlessly doing bootcamps and maratons :( and then spend ages recovering from these and then stop doing them, only to start again when they pick up weight. Good on them for trying, but if you've been doing the same things for years and still keep regaining the weight maybe you should rethink what you are doing and find something that actually works :confused: Even lab rats seem to learn faster than some humans.

Anyway I love LC. Lost 1.2kg on the first week and I am doing the happy dance. DH lost the same and is very impressed. What is even more amazing is that one of the boys did it with us and lost 3kgs in week 1. He's a very tall boy and that was probably all the weight he had to lose, but he lost it despite the fact that he ate pizza and KFC twice during the week! What that shows me is that this eating plan really gets your metabolism going because otherwise he would not have lost the weight. He's happy and best of all has realised after eating the junk, that it makes him feel sluggish, bloated and a little bit sick. So he is very much changing his whole way of eating as a result of feeling so good on LC days vs. non-LC days.

My doctor gave me the low cholesterol speech and diet sheet but even he says I can have eggs :) So hubby can eat away :p

(BTW - I'm not following the Doc diet ;))

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wBNvBCc/weight.png]

"The most important person to be honest with is yourself"

Slightly OT, but my younger SIL's workplace is starting a WW program for the entire workplace. I've also seen similar things at hospitals amongst work staff. I think this is so wrong. When I explained to her that WW isn't that great and why, she said "Yeah but everyone's doing it, and there is incentives so we are expected to" Not only that but she's little already and doesn't need to lose anymore weight, and I am sure whatever she loses she'll probably double back on afterwards. I've heard of workplaces doing similar with the shake programs and offering discounts as an incentive. How can they get away with this? Grrrr....

Osanna, yeah I don't doubt for a second there are 30 y.o.'s who fall for it too, I was just talking about my experience.

Has anyone seen the Kate Morgan stuff? She's doing it too.

I couldent belive my eyes yesterday when i saw in the New Idea a whole page on the New Revised Atkins Diet which has had a few changes to it.:eek:
      Couldent really see the changes in the actual eating or the plan mind you but they worded it differently so it sounded better.

This was a few pages after seeing a advert for Bodytrim and i was actually thinking to myself when will people realise that low carb is the way to go:eek:
      And then i saw that.:eek:
      Current weight or lowest weight when im not being bad weight:D

10 kilo goal by September

I remember seeing the workplace incentives, it was one of my greatest fears that it would be introduced into one of my workplaces. One of the companies I worked for actually paid for 2 gym sessions per week, if you wanted more you could get a discounted membership. At least then it was a choice. They did bring in the odd person to talk about health etc, but they did the usual low fat speil.

What about the medical funds and their support of WW etc, that can't be healthy either?

No Kate Morgan down here, but there is a TF centre opposite a gym.

The latest Womens Weekly had the South Beach Diet in it, I don't know if it is a move to low carb, or just that it is summer and everyone is thinking diets.

Yep that is why I say 2002 edition and no later, it's the last one Dr Atkins wrote before he died.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Those work place things, I bet any money the WW, shake diet sales reps have been knocking on their doors, pretty clever when you think about it.

Oooh, it really burns me about other people giving you their 2-cents worth about YOUR health/diet when they've clearly got problems of their own!:mad:

And as for that bloody food pyramid, it is worth telling them that this pyramid was invented by the US Agricultural industry to protect the sales of sugar, wheat and corn commodities! And that full-scale agriculture has only been around for a few hundred years while we have bodies whose digestive systems (the crucible for food efficiency) are millions of years old.

Here is the ultimate word on the food pyramid - print it and hand it out!

"The food pyramid is an invention of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in the late 20th century. Most of the foods on it did not exist before the invention of agriculture. If the history of the human genus were a 24-hour clock, agriculture was invented about 5 3/4 minutes ago. On this same clock, the food pyramid is less than 17 seconds old. To assume it is the last word on the best kind of fuel for the human body is, in my humble opinion, utter folly." Jonny Bowden, M.A C.N.S
      yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/d…carb-vs-food-pyramid.html

The rise on full-scale obesity can be directly linked to the food pyramid - african tribes who don't eat commercial bread and sugars are not obese, funnily enough, and eskimos who don't eat fruit and whose diets consist almost entirely of fat and meat don't have heart disease or obesity or even bad teeth!

I put paid to one persistent offender regarding her low opinion of Atkins by asking her if she would be willing to wipe my ass (:eek::eek::eek:) should I succumb to any of the pernicious diseases lying in wait for me should I do what she was doing diet-wise for the rest of my life - that did the trick.

Check out Sugar-free Sheila, who has some excellent things in her arsenal including links which dispel the myths about Dr Atkins death (even a copy of his death certificate - that is a great one to put back on people!), specific study findings supporting Atkins and low carbing, reports on kidnet function and her own superb photos showing her journey. here's what she says about naysayers:

"I can say that in the past 7 years, I have only had maybe one or two total - and there is a reason for that. Let's say there is a lifestyle such as veganism that you do not happen to agree with simply because it is not your own personal preference. If you came across a vegan who used to be overweight years ago, but lost and has since maintained this weight loss through the vegan lifestyle, has a stellar lipid profile, low blood pressure, has a low body fat and is physically fit, hasn't had a cold in years, does in fact consume
      adequate protein and plenty of vegetables, calories, and fat, has doctor's approval, and is energetic ... would you feel inclined to sit him down and tell him that what he's doing isn't working?

"Naysayers do not tend to bother preaching to success stories - and even less so with long-term ones - and you can avoid them too if you stick with Atkins to goal and for life. The only time this might prove a bit difficult is in the beginning days - and family, friends, and co-workers will take you seriously if you in fact take your own efforts seriously by following this program without apology & with a non-negotiable mindset. I cannot stress this enough - it is key.":cool:

You are responsible for your health, absolutely no-one else is. You live and die in your own skin and every second that goes by is GONE. Better make them good ones, yes?:):)

Em

Bethany Hamilton

I've been to Sugar-Free Sheilas site ages ago. She looks great and lots of good info.
      Em, its hard to sit in the student clinic and listen to some of the advice students are giving to real patients - you know the increase the wholegrains, lower the fat, less meat, more fruits and vegies. There are lots of naturopaths that are up with the latest info thank goodness.
      Weight Loss Goal - to reach 55kg
      Currently doing 12 week body transformation - at 64kg (9kg to goal)
      (Started 27/8/12 at 77.8kg)

Hi Astrid,

Oh DH's tried, but they keep on about the eggs. He just ignores them now. His dad eats 3 eggs a day and has done so every day since he was a boy. He eats his eggs with loads of cheese and butter and has never had any cholesterol or weight problems. It becomes even more interesting when you find out that my father in law' family has a history of heart disease and both his brother and father have had several heart attacks and even surgery. But they live very "healthy" and he doesn't (according to current belief). He eats lots of protein and walks every day. He's always said all natural food is good food. He's really a poster boy for LC :D

Personally I haven't told anyone I am on a diet at work, but I have heard quite a few comments about the "amount" of food and type of food that I am eating. I am eating 5 meals a day to stimulate my metabolism. The regular 3 plus 2 protein snacks. Overall my protein consumption is still quite normal, but it just looks like I am eating a whole lot of food because I am munching all day while they are starving themselves after christmas :p I love guilt-free eating and hate it when anyone tells me food or eating food is "bad".

Where I work we have a gym onsite with personal trainers and they get nutritionists out to come and teach us how to eat. Some areas do have WW competitions, but it's informal, not organised by work. The message I got from it all is eat nothing, exercise yourself until you faint and you will be healthy and thin. I can't be bothered with it because I have been watching my friends on the diet/gym seesaw for years and saw that it did not work. That's why I am here eating a LC diet. I know it works.

I am not interested in losing a lot of weight fast, I am interested in losing a lot of weight forever.

Chrysalis wrote:

I am not interested in losing a lot of weight fast, I am interested in losing a lot of weight forever.

Love this quote - I'll have to remember it when I'm not losing despite trying (like right now)

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wBNvBCc/weight.png]

"The most important person to be honest with is yourself"